• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Changing out worn out shocks, should I go aftermarkt or OEM?

My shocks feels worn so I decided to replace them. Should I use OEM replacements or bilsteins? Any pros or cons? When I'm changing the shocks out do you think I should lower the car as well? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Ryan

Did you look here yet?
biggrin.gif

I actually have and what kinda through me off was that the stock spring rates and shock damper rate seems to vary from year to year and by model(or so it seems in the chart). Changing OEM shocks would ensure the the shock damper rate matches the stock spring rates for my particular model right? Thanks.

Ryan

Changing OEM shocks would ensure the the shock damper rate matches the stock spring rates for my particular model right?

Yes, but... (there's always a "but", right?)

Yes, getting new OEM shocks will ensure that the damper rate is the same as you had when your car was new, before your shocks felt worn.

However, the question is, did you like your car that way? Some people like their car with the stock suspension, and replace the parts with OEM when needed. Other people want their car to be firmer, to sit flatter in cornering, and are willing to accept a firmer ride on the street and on the highway, and those folks replace the suspension parts with aftermarket. So this is a matter of personal preference.

Also, regarding the different damper rates - Acura chose a somewhat softer suspension when they introduced the NSX-T in 1995 (to better accommodate the slight increase in body flex) and this is the reason that the later ones are different from the earlier ones. The -R and -S models aren't available in North America, but the Zanardi NSX has a stiffer suspension than the regular NSX. These are the differences among models as reflected in the parts. There's nothing that says that you can't use the parts from another model; for example, some owners with non-Zanardi models are installing Zanardi parts on their cars, because they want a firmer ride. Again, this is personal preference.

HTH

[This message has been edited by FAQ Nazi (edited 17 July 2001).]

Back