• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Choosing an iPod Adapter for your oem NSX Stereo - the condensed version.

Update: Decided to connect behind the head-unit with the supplied round cable and it works fine now! Thanks :) Very happy with this mod.

So is it possible to do an iPod install on an NSX that has no CD player?

Yes, they all came with the harness wiring. You can get to it behind the drivers seat, or in the trunk behind the drivers side. You can also get to the back of the radio and connect it there.

Yes, they all came with the harness wiring. You can get to it behind the drivers seat, or in the trunk behind the drivers side. You can also get to the back of the radio and connect it there.

Yup, all NSX's have the wiring harness. Easiest way would be to connect it in the trunk, but its kind of a hassle to open your trunk each to connect your ipod and some people reported issues with interference since the wiring harness goes around the engine area. I installed my GROM behind the drivers seat and routed the wire to the center console armrest. You can also hook it up directly to the back of the headunit but its a bit of a hassle to remove the center console trim.

Hi

I had a NSX friend call me to hear what the heck was wrong the other day. He had a USA Spec thing from SOS. He connected it behind the driver seat and got no connection with anything. I guess the iPod charged, but that was all.

I have another NSX friend which also had the exact same problem. When he hooked it up in the trunk everything worked. I said to the friend who called me what he did.

So the thing is probably than that he did not use the adapter cable when he connected it behind the drivers seat. I do not think he used any adapter cable when he connected it in the trunk either. But that works.

Does that make sense?

Best regards

I hooked mine up yesterday and went straight to hooking it up behind the drivers seat.
Connected it an pushed the AM/FM button to get to the "CD" changer and it would only switch to AM and FM, no iPod.

So...
I connected it in the trunk, wha-la, it worked, so I went back behind the seat... Nothing.

So...
I went straight to the horses mouth, behind the stereo itself.
Hooked it up, nothing. went back to the trunk Wha-la, it worked.

Any thoughts from you electronic guru's?

Seems to me there would be no reason why it would not work connecting it directly to the back of the stereo???

Another example of the desirable latest version of the USA-Spec PA11-HON with the lovely and talented combination cable.

Is this cable the USA Spec CB-H78? There is a new kit on ebay that I think is the exact kit as the one pictured in your link, but they don't show a picture of the cables, only the USA Spec cable numbers, which you haven't mentioned, at least that I can find.

Thanks for all the great info.

I hooked mine up yesterday and went straight to hooking it up behind the drivers seat.
Connected it an pushed the AM/FM button to get to the "CD" changer and it would only switch to AM and FM, no iPod.

So...
I connected it in the trunk, wha-la, it worked, so I went back behind the seat... Nothing.

So...
I went straight to the horses mouth, behind the stereo itself.
Hooked it up, nothing. went back to the trunk Wha-la, it worked.

Any thoughts from you electronic guru's?

Seems to me there would be no reason why it would not work connecting it directly to the back of the stereo???
As I recall, somewhere in the cabling to the changer in the trunk, 2 of the pins get reversed to make it difficult to install aftermarket stuff. In order to install non-OEM Alpine changers, we had to use a special adapter to 'correct it'. But when I moved my Alpine unit to the interior, I went straight to the head unit without the adapter and everything worked fine. When I later used the SOS ipod adapter behind the drivers seat, it also worked fine. I've lost track of which adapter is having the above problem but if it's not the SOS one, then maybe you need the adapter cable.

Anybody have any experience with the GROM unit that has Android USB Audio Streaming?

http://www.gromaudio.com/store/andr...android_adapter_direct_digital_interface.html

And which cable do I need, the MBUSH or HON92? I want to plug this thing in to the connection behind the drivers seat.

grom-usb2p_full-04.jpg

Intermittent conductor in the adapter cable?

I must have gone back and forth 3 times to try to see if it was something like that. It did not change.

As I recall, somewhere in the cabling to the changer in the trunk, 2 of the pins get reversed to make it difficult to install aftermarket stuff. In order to install non-OEM Alpine changers, we had to use a special adapter to 'correct it'. But when I moved my Alpine unit to the interior, I went straight to the head unit without the adapter and everything worked fine. When I later used the SOS ipod adapter behind the drivers seat, it also worked fine. I've lost track of which adapter is having the above problem but if it's not the SOS one, then maybe you need the adapter cable.

That could be the case, If so, it is pretty dumb. Either way, I guess I will leave it in the trunk. I can control it pretty well with the head unit... I'll survive.

Thanks for the input!

My Iphone with iOS 7 still works. No issues. Whats going on with yours?

after the update when i connect my phone the "CD and track number" just flash and won't do anything. if i plug in my iPod goes straight to CD 4 and starts playing.

If i want Pandora or any internet radio I have to use the AUX input.

Anyone else experience this or know how to fix the adaptor?

Thanks

Will these iPod adapters work even if your head unit is shot? I don't know the status of mine as the sound system was dead when I got it. Just faint muffles with the sound turned up. !it sure if its the head unit or speakers or both. ISo I'm on the fence whether to redo the whole system or or hopefully just get away with one of these USA spec or Grimm adapters and some new speakers/amp.

When my factory speaker amps went I had popping and hissing then eventually the speaker stopped working. I got them rebuilt and have been great ever since. I know that both can fail, could be either one.

I know its not the cheapest to get the factory speakers fixed might be more economical to go with aftermarket head unit and speakers.

Is there a PA-HON adapter that supports Android file system over USB? Moved away from iPhones and want to use the same PA-HON box if possible.

Yes! Finally installed the USA Spec and tucked it behind the head unit. iPhone 5 charges and streams everything woohoo

Sorry, I'm just about to upgrade my phone from a Blackberry to an iPhone 5C :smile:
Have you connected your iPhone 5 through the 'iPod' port on the PA11 unit (as opposed to through the RCA connectors)? If you did, which adapter have you used? There are a lot available online, not all with audio capability - and those that do get lots of poor reviews. Thanks a lot.

Anyone? How do get behind the driver seat to the cable?

- - - Updated - - -

This is it.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/102592-Factory-stereo-IPod-integration-Plug-n-Play-GromAudio

http://daliracing.com/v666-5/download/pdf_article/tsb/poor-reception-or-interference-on-the-radiob94-011.pdf

Thanks for your great help. I removed the panels and got access to the cable. I plugged in a USA Spec PA11-HON and tested the unit with my IPhone 4. Nothing .. I then disconnected the cd changer in the trunk and connected the iPod adapter there -- again -- nothing. I searched this forum and it seems that lots of folks have little to no problems with changing out the cd changer to the iPod adapter. Needless to say, I'm frustrated and not sure where to turn.

Hey guys - I know this is an old thread - so the knowledge is out there somewhere :) (but not even in the USA SPEC PA11-HON "manual", or google) - through the head unit, how do you get a song to repeat on the iPod? And, yes, I've tried the REPEAT button on the display...

TIA

Back