• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Choosing an iPod Adapter for your oem NSX Stereo - the condensed version.

Hi Russ,
I noticed that I have BT connection issues as well using my iPhone 4S. I don't have the GROM BT setup (mine is using a standard USA-Spec interface, and connecting a Scosche BT module using the RCA line-in). It was quite frustrating, and I did some research online. One forum suggested that having wifi on and trying to connect to BT sometimes caused problems. I have been making sure that wifi on my phone is off when I use BT in the car, and I have noticed that disconnecting has occurred significantly less. Try that out and let us know if it made a difference for you.

I hope this helps.

Hi Russ,
I noticed that I have BT connection issues as well using my iPhone 4S. I don't have the GROM BT setup (mine is using a standard USA-Spec interface, and connecting a Scosche BT module using the RCA line-in). It was quite frustrating, and I did some research online. One forum suggested that having wifi on and trying to connect to BT sometimes caused problems. I have been making sure that wifi on my phone is off when I use BT in the car, and I have noticed that disconnecting has occurred significantly less. Try that out and let us know if it made a difference for you.

I hope this helps.

Interesting. My 4S has been connecting to the Grom reliably since I installed firmware 32, in fact, it had been connecting since I did a total reset of the unit just prior to the upgrade.

OTOH, we have Blueconnects in our other two vehicles, and my wife's 4S started acting weird yesterday with one of them. According to the status bar icon and the Blueconnect unit, the two were connected, but acted as if they were not (could not select the Blueconnect, only the internal speakers). I did an unpair/reboot/re-pair between my wife's 4S and the Blueconnect and it's working again. Our old 3Gs never had a problem in over 2 years with this setup.

Thanks for the tip, I will post my results and anything else I find out.

Which adapter should I choose? All I want is replace the CD changer with a USB key loaded with MP3's. I'm not going to use my Iphone, Ipod or Bluetooth.

Which adapter should I choose? All I want is replace the CD changer with a USB key loaded with MP3's. I'm not going to use my Iphone, Ipod or Bluetooth.

I would highly recommend going with the iPod adapter because it's so useful for iPhone navigation apps, and I love being able to stream internet radio stations while I'm driving around. Words cannot express how awesome that is!

Below are some photos of my install in my silver NSX, which nsxter helped me with.

The iPod adapter with all cables attached. I connected it directly to the back of the stock stereo (where the CD changer cable normally goes), and set the DIP switches so that playlist 5 = iPhone direct control, and playlist 6 = RCA aux.
97NSX_ipod_adapter_install_01.jpg

DIP switch settings to enable RCA aux input:
PA11HON_DIP_switch.png

We ultimately installed this unit under the stereo as there simply wasn't enough clearance behind it.
97NSX_ipod_adapter_install_03.jpg

We fished the iPod cable to the right side of the console, and ran the aux RCA-3.5mm cable down to below the console.
97NSX_ipod_adapter_install_02.jpg

Finished product with Panavise mount and phone holder. Loving it! :)
97NSX_ipod_adapter_install_04.jpg

Here is everything I purchased to complete my setup:

USA SPEC iPod adapter for NSX (manual)
Panavise Mount for NSX, part #75119-498
Universal Phone Holder (includes the adapter plate needed to go on the Panavise mount)
3.5mm to RCA cable (for listening to non iDevices)

Last edited:
Recently I have ordered the USA Spec iPod adapter for my NSX and last week I bought a iPod Nano 8Gb.

So, this weekend, I took out my trusty old Alpine CHM-534 MP3 CD-changer from the trunk, together with that long cable and adapter cable.

Plugged in the USA Spec iPod adapter and connected the iPod Nano.
Switched on the OEM Radio and voila, there it was :)

Piece of cake as they say.
The only thing left to do is fitting the adapter permanently with a piece of adhesive tape and getting my playlists right.

Of course I did not do all this to be able to listen to more music than I already had but for that all important weight saving.
So here they are:

Took out:
Alpine CHM 634 CD-player: -1758 grams = 3.88 lbs
Alpine CD-player magzine + 6 CD's: -284 grams = 0.63 lbs
Cable through the trunk: -278 grams = 0.61 lbs
TOTAL WEIGHT REMOVED: 2320 grams = 5.12 lbs

Put in:
USA Spec iPod Adapter, iPod Nano+cable: +221 grams = 0.49 lbs
USA Spec cables through the trunk: +117 grams = 0.26 lbs
TOTAL WEIGHT ADDED: 338 GRAMS = 0.75 lbs

Total amount of weight saved: 1982 grams = 4.37 lbs

And don't forget, this weight is behind the rear wheels, so your car's balance is actually improved :)

Last edited:
When the iPod adapter is installed and you are listening to music from the iPod what is the status of the OEM antenna - up or down? Thanks.

When the iPod adapter is installed and you are listening to music from the iPod what is the status of the OEM antenna - up or down? Thanks.
The stock stereo sees the iPod adapter as a factory CD Changer, and the default behavior for that input is to raise the antenna (illogical, I know). You can install a smartenna, or a shark antenna or other alternative fixed antenna, or just unplug the antenna altogether.

How to unplug the antenna (I don't listen to radio at all)? Sorry I am very unfamiliar with the car, had it less than a week now :)

Thanks.

The stock stereo sees the iPod adapter as a factory CD Changer, and the default behavior for that input is to raise the antenna (illogical, I know). You can install a smartenna, or a shark antenna or other alternative fixed antenna, or just unplug the antenna altogether.

No one likes Parrots ehh?? It works pretty good for me.

http://nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=161496
The problem I have with that is 1) it's more expensive, and 2) I need to plug in a cable to charge my phone anyway, so the USA spec iPod adapter makes more sense. Plus I've found that sound quality via bluetooth isn't as good as through the iPod connector or 3.5mm jack (which the USA spec iPod adapter also allows you to have, for devices that aren't equipped with bluetooth). Overall, the iPod adapter offers more benefits for my usage.

- - - Updated - - -

How to unplug the antenna (I don't listen to radio at all)? Sorry I am very unfamiliar with the car, had it less than a week now :)

Thanks.
As a new owner (but long time member), you might want to familiarize yourself with the search function on this site. Here are some old threads that discuss how to do this commonly performed procedure:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/17443-Disconnecting-antenna
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/112070-Disconnect-the-power-antenna
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/41100-hate-that-LONG-antenna

Thanks.

Left rear corner, remove the two grommets that are holding the carpet in place and unplug the large white connector. I just did this for my car. No issues at all. I love my USASpec. Even though you dont listen to the radio much, you will still be able to pick up radio stations with the antenna down. I believe there is a secondary antenna in the glass of the rear hatch.

Last edited:
Just checked the trunk, I seem to have a Smartenna :) when playing cd the antenna comes down. What would be the behavior with the Honda iPod adapter now when playing from iPhone? Which one is the power cord of the Smartenna adapter so the antenna always stays down. Thanks.

Just checked the trunk, I seem to have a Smartenna :) when playing cd the antenna comes down. What would be the behavior with the Honda iPod adapter now when playing from iPhone? Which one is the power cord of the Smartenna adapter so the antenna always stays down. Thanks.

The Grom is the only compatible iPod adapter that works with the Smartenna you need to ensure the Smartenna control wires (two usually white wires) are connected between the head unit and Grom. (Din connection) You can extend them from the Smartenna through the engine compartment into the cabin to connect to the Grom unit.

Last edited:
Folks, unplugged the CD changer in the trunk and plugged in the PA11-HON unit. Then connected IPod with playlists as described and the CD buttons (1-4) just plays radio. I also don't see the iPod being charged in the trunk. What gives? Thanks.

BTW, I unplugged the Smartenna (grey) adapter and now the antenna stays down all the time (what I want) and I can still get decent radio reception.

Here is a pic:
attachment.php

Last edited:
Folks, unplugged the CD changer in the trunk and plugged in the PA11-HON unit. Then connected IPod with playlists as described and the CD buttons (1-4) just plays radio. I also don't see the iPod being charged in the trunk. What gives? Thanks.
Are you sure your CD changer was connected to the back of the stereo? Does it work if you plug the changer back in?

Are you sure your CD changer was connected to the back of the stereo? Does it work if you plug the changer back in?

Yes, tested the changer before and it worked. I need to find a cd to test again, but pretty sure it would work. Did I buy the wrong version of the USA spec unit? I don't see nsx listed under models behind the plastic case it came in.

Did I buy the wrong version of the USA spec unit? I don't see nsx listed under models behind the plastic case it came in.
That is possible, but I don't remember if mine had it listed or not. Have you tried a different iPod/iPhone?

BTW, I unplugged the Smartenna (grey) adapter and now the antenna stays down all the time (what I want) and I can still get decent radio reception.

Here is a pic:
attachment.php

Hi, vtec29k.

From your photo above, it looked as if you directly connected the OEM factory CD changer cable to the USA Spec PA11-HON.

You should be using the CD changer port adaptor cable that came with the PA11-HON.
It's the right one connected to the unit in the 1st photo in this link;

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/entry.php?763-Annual-Service-Audio-Head-Unit-03

If you want to test it inside the boot/trunk, you need to peel off the left side forward section carpet inside the boot near the fire wall.
There, you will find the DIN cable connector for the factory CD changer.
The blue DIN cable that you seemed to have connected to PA11-HON is just the extenstion cable from there.
You need to disconnect the factory blue DIN cable and instead, insert the adaptor cable came with the PA11-HON kit.

Hope that will fix your issue.

Kaz

Kaz, thanks will give it a try today and see if I can make it work.

Hi, vtec29k.

You should be using the CD changer port adaptor cable that came with the PA11-HON.
It's the right one connected to the unit in the 1st photo in this link;

Hi

I had a NSX friend call me to hear what the heck was wrong the other day. He had a USA Spec thing from SOS. He connected it behind the driver seat and got no connection with anything. I guess the iPod charged, but that was all.

I have another NSX friend which also had the exact same problem. When he hooked it up in the trunk everything worked. I said to the friend who called me what he did.

So the thing is probably than that he did not use the adapter cable when he connected it behind the drivers seat. I do not think he used any adapter cable when he connected it in the trunk either. But that works.

Does that make sense?

I have a Grom adapter both in my NSX and my Mugen Si. The only difference is that the Grom is probably old in the NSX as the small little iPod (the version before the latest) are not being charged. Other than that it works as it should.

EDIT:Not sure if it charged at all

Best regards

Last edited:
Back