• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Choosing an iPod Adapter for your oem NSX Stereo - the condensed version.

Can you post a picture of the mic mount?

2012-05-15071200.jpg

2012-05-15071151.jpg

I can confirm that it does work with the top down, but the windows must be up. I'm sure someone with a more creative mind could find a more suitable place to mount it, but the targa is a limiting factoer for 95+

Can anyone provide more detail as to how to pull off the trim panel to get to those connections (the ones behind the driver seat)? I am looking at 20-38 in the service manual (attached) but not really sure which of the panels I need to take out, what the size/type screwdriver I need to get to them, and how to lift up the carpet without damaging it to expose the screws...

Attachments

• NS9196B20038A.PDF
    66 KB · Views: 73
I can do my best.

To get at the connections behind the driver's seat, there are two panels that must come off and a third one that makes accessing it easier, but not necessary.

The first panel that has to come off is panel 2 "Rear Upper Trim Panel" in that diagram. It is the one that lays horizontal directly underneath the rear glass behind both seats. There are three clips holding it in, One on each side maybe 3 inches in from the exterior edge, and one in the center. In addition, there are metal guides along the bottom that hold it tight to the lower panels. To remove, gently pry up on the edge until you can get the clips to pop out. You may use a trim removal tool to ease with this process. Be careful not to crease the panel or break the pieces that hold the clips. If a clip ends up breaking, you can buy replacements at NAPA. Once all three clips are popped out, pull up on the panel and it will slide out.

The second panel is the square one directly behind the drivers backrest (Left Rear Trim Panel). This one has four clips that hold it in, one on each corner. Gently tug on the top ones until they pop, then the bottom.

The third panel does not have to come all the way off, but you do have to loosen a few screws. They are typical interior phillips head. Just remove them along the edge of the trim.

Once that is done, you can access the CD changer cable.

Awesome! Thanks for the detailed writeup.

So no screws, just clips?

Is that the Rear Center Trim Panel? I imagine you have to remove a few more things to route the iPod/aux cable wherever you want it to go, unless you're using bluetooth only

Is that the Rear Center Trim Panel? I imagine you have to remove a few more things to route the iPod/aux cable wherever you want it to go, unless you're using bluetooth only

No, per my instructions and the ones posted on the other threads, it is the rear side trim panel that has the screws. The will be exposed once the left rear trim panel is gone. Its really a simple process.

Anyway, I can confirm that the mic works decent with the top off at 60 mph in the seat belt location, however there is a bit of wind noise. At speeds below 40, its clear.

The Honda version will not work with the NSX radio.:frown:

Here's USA Spec's BT35-TOY for Toyota and Lexus vehicles. I'm waiting for the Honda version to come out.
http://usaspec.com/product.php?ProductID=73

product_187.jpg

product_289.jpg

Installation:
<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qER5SbFcBuA" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="480" width="853"></iframe>

Demo:
<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JuFF3ujICaw" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="480" width="853"></iframe>

Is that BT35-HON? Confirmed they don't support the NSX HU?

Unfortunately.

Hello Russell,

The Honda version should launch late this month, however, it will not be compatible with the NSX.

Sorry for the late response. The company recently change the email system and we were missing a lot of mail. Thank you for your understanding.

If you have any other questions feel free to reply to this email and you will get a response within the week.

Best

Evan
USA SPEC

I just updated to the Grom c/w Bluetooth.
I went with the iPOD only unit, as our family has two iPhones, and 4 iPods, The USB unit did not have additional value.
http://gromaudio.com/store/aux_adap...aux-in_mp3_bluetooth_ipod_iphone_adapter.html

I have a '91 coupe so I mounted the microphone at the dome lamp. (Picture attached)
I used a fish tape to get the mic wire to the dome lamp. I fished a string through first to the rear between the door and rear window, then pulled the mic wire from the dome lamp hole with the string.

I would give the Grom Bluetooth a 8/10. The audio is great, mic response is good as well. Interfacing with the stock head unit could be better. I sometimes have to press next track up twice to answer a call. It does a perfect job of cutting out the music or radio and sending my ring tone from my iPhone when a call comes in.
If you ask Grom, they have a version 10 of the firmware that helps with voice dial.

Attachments

• IMG_0283.jpg
    IMG_0283.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_0132.jpg
    IMG_0132.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_0131.jpg
    IMG_0131.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_0130.jpg
    IMG_0130.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_0129.jpg
    IMG_0129.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_0127.jpg
    IMG_0127.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
I just updated to the Grom c/w Bluetooth.
I went with the iPOD only unit, as our family has two iPhones, and 4 iPods, The USB unit did not have additional value.
http://gromaudio.com/store/aux_adap...aux-in_mp3_bluetooth_ipod_iphone_adapter.html

Are you having issues losing pairing between the iPhone and GROM-CAR? I sure am. I've had to reset the BTD at least four times to re-pair the phone. It works for a while then randomly won't reconnect, necessitating another round of forget/reset/re-pair. Disappointing.

Are you having issues losing pairing between the iPhone and GROM-CAR? I sure am. I've had to reset the BTD at least four times to re-pair the phone. It works for a while then randomly won't reconnect, necessitating another round of forget/reset/re-pair. Disappointing.

I have not had that issue. what firmware version are you running on the Grom? I chatted online with Grom support on an upgrade issue and they offered me a version 10 that someone brought their NSX in for Grom customization.

Grom does not have a phone support, only an on-line chat experience. If things are really bad, they will offer you a phone number to call, or they will call you

I have not had that issue. what firmware version are you running on the Grom? I chatted online with Grom support on an upgrade issue and they offered me a version 10 that someone brought their NSX in for Grom customization.

Grom does not have a phone support, only an on-line chat experience. If things are really bad, they will offer you a phone number to call, or they will call you

Version 31 for GROM-USB2-MBUS which is the latest. I'm working with a support guy via email, he is responsive, but no resolution yet.

Version 31 for GROM-USB2-MBUS which is the latest. I'm working with a support guy via email, he is responsive, but no resolution yet.

Sorry you are having trouble. I installed the Honda Acura 91-05 AUX-IN Android iPod Bluetooth Adapter(GROM-AUX-MBUS) with the iPod and Bluetooth interface. No USB option. Firmware version 10.0. This is a different unit than yours.

Sorry you are having trouble. I installed the Honda Acura 91-05 AUX-IN Android iPod Bluetooth Adapter(GROM-AUX-MBUS) with the iPod and Bluetooth interface. No USB option. Firmware version 10.0. This is a different unit than yours.

Overall I'm happy with the unit. The sound quality is much better than the CD changer, bass is noticeably tighter and the highs are more transparent which is surprising considering I'm running the stock Bose setup. I guess the OEM changer had a lot of jitter or crappy DACs. Now if the damn thing would only stay paired. Maybe I just got a bad BTD or it's in a bad spot. Where exactly have folks placed the BTD?

UPDATE: Grom sent me a firmware update to try, so hopefully that fixes it.

Last edited:
Overall I'm happy with the unit. The sound quality is much better than the CD changer, bass is noticeably tighter and the highs are more transparent which is surprising considering I'm running the stock Bose setup. I guess the OEM changer had a lot of jitter or crappy DACs. Now if the damn thing would only stay paired. Maybe I just got a bad BTD or it's in a bad spot. Where exactly have folks placed the BTD?

UPDATE: Grom sent me a firmware update to try, so hopefully that fixes it. __________________

Hrmm, I have not had any issues with it staying paired, either. Can you try to pair a different phone to it and see if it behaves differently?

I have two phones paired with it right now. If both phones are in range it pairs to the 1st phone that I paired it with, if not it defaults to the 2nd phone. Works rather well except when the car is started in the garage and the bluetooth reaches the phone that is upstairs in the bedroom. But I suppose that is a BT issue and not a GROM issue.

UPDATE: Grom sent me a firmware update to try, so hopefully that fixes it.

So far so good, no more pairing issues since the update (v 32).

I ended up mounting the handsfree mic at the top of the A pillar and running the wire under the sill plate to the rear bulkhead. It's mounted with 3M emblem tape and is invisible from the outside of the car. There was just enough wire to make it to the Grom box.

grom1.jpg

The iPhone in an Incipio NGP case sits perfectly in the coin tray:

grom2.jpg

I ran the USB cable up between the console box and the rear middle panel to where the useless cupholder was. The cover closes fine and the mod is invisible when the cover is shut. Nothing was cut and the entire install is completely reversible for when the next generation of technology makes the Grom old school.

grom3.jpg

A nice feature of the Grom is that voice dial works with Siri - hit the scan button twice and there she is. I am now able to place & receive calls without ever taking the phone out of my pocket. Overall a great mod & worth every penny.

Last edited:
Hey Russ, how do you like that mic location? I just installed my Grom w/bluetooth today and I love it. Currently though I have the mic in the center of the headliner where the dome light is, but I like yours better, it's more discreet. Any issues with the location? Wind noise? (i have coupe). Thanks.

Loving the Grom so far, add another "thumbs up" endorsement to the list.

Hey Russ, how do you like that mic location? I just installed my Grom w/bluetooth today and I love it. Currently though I have the mic in the center of the headliner where the dome light is, but I like yours better, it's more discreet. Any issues with the location? Wind noise? (i have coupe). Thanks.

Loving the Grom so far, add another "thumbs up" endorsement to the list.

I like it. Driving around town (<45 mph) with the top off, and with a Tubi exhaust and Cantrell AIS on the car, everyone I've called says they understand me fine & conversation flows normally. The only adjustment I've had to make, and this probably has nothing to do with the mic location, is to rename some of my contacts to be more distinct from each other so Siri doesn't confuse them. In the car "call Bob" turned into "call Mom". So now he's Robert.

Just figured I would share my story with the GROM bluetooth adapter here. From my research, I see people have had some mixed results with GROM products, but I wanted AD2P bluetooth so I rolled the dice.

I ordered the bluetooth adapter with the USB cable and HON92 cable. I first plugged it in at the connection in the trunk. The bluetooth is visible for 3 minutes, paired it with my phone, no problem.

I'm thinking of going the GROM / bluetooth route. Just wanted to confirm that I need to get the HON92 cable and not the MBUS cable. And if I can install it behind the driver's seat (so I have access to the AUX port if necessary).

Thanks.

I'm thinking of going the GROM / bluetooth route. Just wanted to confirm that I need to get the HON92 cable and not the MBUS cable. And if I can install it behind the driver's seat (so I have access to the AUX port if necessary).

Thanks.

Yes, you need to specify the HON92 Cable. Connection behind the driver is the ideal spot.

Back