• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Cigarette lighter fuse - keeps blowing

Tried plugging in my phone to charge on the cigarette lighter and would not charge. Tried testing the lighter and twas cold. Did some researching and found the fuse blown (20A) on engine department.

Replaced fuse w/ new. Soon as turning the car to ON position I heard somefin pop. Checked fuse, same fuse blown.

If its not the fuse, it could only be couple other things, right? The wire harness, wires themselves... relays? Hopefully I could just replace a component rather than repairing wires. Removing dash to get access shouldn't be difficult. Hopefully someones been through this, anyone been down this route?
frown.gif

Thanks in advance!

If the fuse is blowing, there is a short to ground somewhere in the system. You can check for a short on the 12v lead with a volt/ohm meter. First disconnect the wiring from the lighter and check it there. Does the car have a aftermarket stereo, or did it in the past? If so, my guess is it's pinched or cut behind the console.

Mike

aftermarket stereo system installed.

Theres an aftermarket stereo in there (picked car up this weekend)... wont turn on however. Never really cared for car stereos, I got the car for its own sounds :P. I wouldve been better off w/ the OEM stereo. Actually, that doesnt sound like a bad idea...

aftermarket stereo system installed.

Theres an aftermarket stereo in there (picked car up this weekend)... wont turn on however. Never really cared for car stereos, I got the car for its own sounds :P. I wouldve been better off w/ the OEM stereo. Actually, that doesnt sound like a bad idea...

Hey man congrats. I didn't know you just purchased it. There was a complete stock stereo system in the for sale section.

Back to the problem. So the stereo doesn't work? Yeah, take that out first because they may have used the lighter circuit for something in the aftermarket system and that may be your fuse problem. Remove the deck and try to remove any aftermarket wiring and look for damage to the lighter wiring.

Mike

Back