• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Clarion vrx745vd in Nsx? Should I? Can I? Would you?

A friend is selling his slightly used Clarion vrx745vd for $1,000 cdn or $800.00 US funds. Is this a unit people have used in their Nsx's?
Would anyone recommend me trying this?
What else would I require to make this work?
I would start by trying to reuse the stock speakers for now.
Thanks so much for you opinions!
Trev
Here is a link for the unit.
http://www.clarioncanada.com/en/products/2004_products/multimedia/VRX745VD.html

Wow, great, does it play dvd R-?
Any photos?
Did you Need any other pieces, like a new center dash piece?
Did you do it yourself?
tRev

ffffanman said:
Wow, great, does it play dvd R-?
Any photos?
Did you Need any other pieces, like a new center dash piece?
Did you do it yourself?
tRev

oh yea, you need an aftermarket center console too, unless you know of someplace that could do a little customizing job...I got my CF center piece from Dali for $150 and I had it cut out for a singledin from a local audio store for $30...I installed everything else myself...if you really want see it; I can take pictures of it later when I get home....

Not quite as simple as just buying the adapter & plugging in - you will need to fabricate a harness utlizing that adapter & splicing it to the supplied Clarion harness and also to some RCA cables. So not exactly plug n play, but quite do-able. You will also need to manufacture a custom mounting platform for the head and of course a modified console if you want it finished.
But these are all things that have been done by others, you can find details if you search this particular forum.
Clarion is a decent brand, generally not considred top tier like Alpine, Eclipse or Pioneer.
If your door speaker/amps are original I think you would be quite fortunate if these are indeed still functioning properly in a '91 - you might find there are already actually problems, but if not may be impending before long.

Any pics would really help me make up my mind!

D'Ecosse - your statement of - You will also need to manufacture a custom mounting platform for the head and of course a modified console if you want it finished - makes me scared to tackle this.
Now it really doesn't seem easy.
So, I cant use my center console?
And just buying a new center console from one of the aftermarket guys is not enough? What does a custom mounting platform look like or cost and can I just buy one?
Wiring harness additions are easy enough for me with a little direction.
Thanks guys.
Trev

WooHoo!!!!!!!!!! Post # 3000

I didn't mean to scare you ffffanman - it is readily quite do-able, just wanted to make sure you recognized there are other factors.
Yes, you can buy a replacement console from SOS and the only "hard" part is cutting the slot cut-out for the new head and finishing (prep & paint); alternatively, you can use your existing console if you are capable with Bondo but much more work involved; the custom mount is not really tough either - you essentially just need a piece of angle bracket and go from there. It's important obviously to get your console cut-out & position of the head aligned but by slotting the holes for the mount you can give yourself some leeway for final alignment.
Send me a pm with your e-mail & I'll send you some pics of how to make your mounting and some tips on the harness manufacture.

Back