• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Class action law suit against Honda/Acura

Anyone else get the notice for this? I got mine last week.

In a nut shell, some people are alleging that the company that made odometers for Honda from 02-06 were in collusion with Honda in order to make them clock faster. That is, read more miles than was actually driven.

If they settle, the participants are eligible for 5% more miles added to their lease, cash for cars that were fixed just out of warranty, or cash in hand.

I don't want to make a claim against honda, because I have no idea whether my odometer is reading correctly or not, but I sure would like the additional 5% miles added to my lease term.

Speedo's over read so it's not a surprise that Odometers might also.

Wonder what the difference is on new and 95% worn tyres also, I would guess a few %.

Surely there must be tolrances built in to allow a certain deviation ??

I received this notice some time ago, placed it into file, and am happy to have some additional warranty coverage!

I believe I read somewhere that today's cars odometers are pretty accurate. You could try checking your speed against a GPS speedometer.

Does this cover 02-06 only for all Hondas and Acuras or does it cover pre 02 also?

I believe I read somewhere that today's cars odometers are pretty accurate. You could try checking your speed against a GPS speedometer.

I've done that and found that the speedo on my cars reads 2-4 MPH higher than the GPS. I don't know if that's w/in the range of error for GPS, but that's my experience.

Anyone else get the notice for this? I got mine last week.

If they settle, the participants are eligible for 5% more miles added to their lease, cash for cars that were fixed just out of warranty, or cash in hand.

I don't want to make a claim against honda, because I have no idea whether my odometer is reading correctly or not, but I sure would like the additional 5% miles added to my lease term.

I believe that it is already settled - my wife got a letter about a month ago stating that the miles on her 05 RL lease were extended by 5% - but perhaps it was the proposed settlement and not finalized. The letter said that Honda has agreed to fix the problem - while denying that it was intentional. Makes sense to me - fix the problem even if it was a supplier or manufacturing defect.

You might was well join the claim; the suite has already reached class-action status so you are technically covered if you have one of the affected cars - it is just a matter of claiming your portion of the settlement. I think that the settlement - extending lease and warranty miles by 5% - is very fair to Honda owners and Honda itself. Other than if you had to fix your odo on your own, I don't think there is any cash compensation for owners, ICBW.

i know my 00 civic reads fast on the speedo (~5mph at 70), and i thought about it a while ago... how much it would affect mileage. oh well, no speedo is perfect, and i know honda didn't do it knowingly.
if it wasn't showing higher miles, it would be showing lower miles..... and you don't expect them to take miles from your lease.... just a thought

I was convoying out during a deployment in a convoy of 15 duces and 5 tons + 5 ford f150s, explorers and broke out the gps tracker, and according to the gps tracker we were actually going 10-15 mph faster then what the speedo's were reading on the fords

I remember checking my speedo in the NSX (1992) way back when. The way I did it was to use mile markers along the side of the road and then a stop watch to to time the distance. I remember using 80mph indicated over an 11 mile test run. It came out accurate to the second.

Since there were 495 seconds in my test, I figured the error was less 1% which is less than 1 mph.

I performed this 11 mile test twice.
YMMV

Back