• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

clear bra

Has anyone of you guys had any bad experience
with clear bra? What do you guys think of it.

Hello and welcome, lurker (I see you that registered a couple of months ago, and are making your first post now
smile.gif
).

If you are referring to the 3M Paint Protection Film, I had it applied to my NSX & Mustang last October. Works great, and really helps to prevent rock chips (especially with all the SUVs on the road!). The only negatives are that the stuff is expensive, not recommended for DIY, and I've heard of problems with it on headlights. Otherwise, I swear by the stuff and plan on putting it on all new cars I buy in the future.

Phoen$x - do you have any pics with decent resolution of the front end with the film on? How unobtrusive is it?

[This message has been edited by D'Ecosse (edited 30 March 2003).]

There is also a semi liquid water soluable "clearbra" that I've seen some porsche guys use at track events,squeegie on hose off,you might find info on thier sites.

Originally posted by D'Ecosse:
Phoen$x - do you have any pics with decent resolution of the front end with the film on? How unobtrusive is it?

D'Ecosse: my camera isn't the best, but here goes. It's compeletly unnoticeable when clean, unless you look *really* close. It can be seen when dirty, but only from certain angles. All these photos were taken just now. I too, was concerned about visibility at first, but decided the protection was worth the trade-off. To my surprise, however, I never notice it (except when I see that my cars have none of the chips that other cars of the same mileage display).

clean hood:
ppf_clean.jpg

dirty hood:
ppf_dirty.jpg

dirty hood(different angle):
ppf_dirty1.jpg

phoen$x... that's amazing... almost totally invisible!!! how come more nsx owners dont use this too?

Q: it does still chip, right??? (eg. if it's a big rock)

Mr. Duck said:
Has anyone of you guys had any bad experience
with clear bra? What do you guys think of it.
Alex Viscarra has this on his car. It look great and the only was to notice it is the line created when it ends. He said it took the guy 3hrs. to install it.

NeoNSX,

I'm sure quite a few of us are using this 3M protection (it's called Autobhan, spelling), at least the newer ones anyway because a lot of dealers are offering it nowadays. The protection goes as far as the front bumper, hood and 2 side mirrors for about $300-$500 (I really forgot the exact numbers), labor included.

And no, it doesn't chip (with bigger rocks, I guess it's a dent that you should be worrying about). I've drove over 8k miles with the protection and there isn't a single chip.

Btw, the attached file is a pic of my car without being washed for a week or so, see if any of you can notice the clear plastic :p

Sorry I don't have a closer-up pic but this image is originally 1800x1200 (856k in size) and even I could hardy notice it. Now that I've to scale it down to 800x533 and reduce quality (from 350k to 88k) to pass this 100k file attachment limit, hope you guys are not too disappointed.

Attachments

• dscf0135.jpg
    dscf0135.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 1,056
ChopsJazz said:
This looks like a fabulous product to pprotect my new paint. Who can install it, any old body shop?

Chops, you have to find a local installer that's been trained by 3M to do it. It took my installers (2 of them) about 3 hours to do both my Mustang and NSX, and it looked very involved. You have to prep the surface, and then use a razor (if they don't have a precut kit) to cut the film while it's on the car. They also used a heat gun to mold it to the car's shape.

NsxJoy said:
And no, it doesn't chip (with bigger rocks, I guess it's a dent that you should be worrying about). I've drove over 8k miles with the protection and there isn't a single chip.

Right, NsxJoy (btw, nice pic!). If you get chips with the film present, you've got bigger problems! How tough is it? Check out this pic:

tough.jpg

Here are some closer-up pics I've found from a website which they took pictures of my car during their special event.

Note: My car was dirty to begin with, plus driving on the highway for another hour doesn't make the car any cleaner. Therefore, you'll definitely see the 3M there.

Btw, do you guys like my stage-2 xenons? I know one of my side lights are out :p

http://www.hids4less.com/www/gallery/gallery5.htm

Thanks for the info guys, I think Im going to clear bra the bumper
and not the hood or fenders cause it might lose it's shine.

Oh, don't worry about losing its shine. The 3M people highly encourage us customers to wax the clear protection. I've mine waxed and it shines as good as paint. The difference is like comparing 98% shine to a 100% shine. I'm pretty anal about car shinyness, just like everybody else in this forum, and I'm satisfied with the 3M shine.

I've tried to install it on my S4 and it came out all right. Definitley alot more work than I expected. I have been window tinting for about 15 years so I looked at this as an addition to my business. For the amount of time to install a kit, I would rather tint 2 cars. I will practice on a few more cars and let you guys know how it turns out. Testing it out on my S4 because I would hate to sell something that doesn't hold up. It does scratch easily so you will have to make sure you wash it with alot of soap and don't rub too hard.

<B>It does scratch easily so you will have to make sure you wash it with alot of soap and don't rub too hard.</B>

Anyone else had this???
Coz scratches would effect the shine that NSXjoy was talking about.

i'm still gob-smacked from the results...

stupid questions: is it at all removable? And if you have a minor accident, how are the front panels affected when changing?

So many questions. :D

Duck: the film is hazy at first, but once installed and cured it becomes totally clear, so don't worry about "dullness" or lack of shine.

ChopsJazz: You can find a professional installer via 3M's web site here.

Neo: I didn't install it, but I don't notice any problems with scratches. It is fully removable, however it is recommended that a professional installer perform that task. If you need to repaint/repair a panel, obviously it wall have to be removed first. The film is not reusable as far as I know, but given its protection against chips repaint should not be necessary (unless you want to do a color change ;) ).

Any more questions?

Litespeeds,

Nice choice in choosing the S4 as your ride, I loved that car. If it wasn't because of the NSX, I wouldn't have traded it in.

NeoNSX,

I don't think it scratch easily. I've done numerous 160+mph rides with my NSX with and without traffic, plus I've put on 8000 miles since I've the protection. Sand and little rcoks had to have hit the car, more or less. I'm serious, not a single scratch. Come and take a look at my car, or have a trust worthy friend to look at it and see for yourselves. I don't work for 3M, I get no benefit in selling this product to you guys. I love my NSX and I'm sharing all my experience with the community simply because we have the same passion.

P.S. Another advantage about the clear bra is that you can simply peel it off if it's scratched and replace it with another, all for just another $300 (professional labor included). This is inexpensive compare to a another paint job, or a poor paint job quality nor does it hurt the resale value of the car when dealers/buyers dectect the thickness level of paint, knowing it wasn't original.

<B>NSXJoy</B>: it's okay... i believe you, but... i find it hard to believe. :confused: That's because i've always been led to believe if you want to protect your car's nose, you need to install a traditional black car bra (VERY visible).

The clear-bra pictures above are almost invisible and offer the <B>same protection</B> as a traditional car-bra... that's why i'm asking questions... hehe... i'm wondering what the catch is. :)

Also Litespeeds post mentions it scratches easily... which is why i was asking if you guys have experienced this.

As for the invitation to inspect it for myself, i hope you will give a raincheck on that... hehehe... check my profile & see where i live to see why. :D Oh, and thanks heaps for the time you put into replying this.

<B>Phoe<FONT COLOR=red>N$X</FONT></B>: LOL... thanks for the answers, here's more stupid questions for you:

* Why aren't more owners using it? Is this a new product?
* Is it effected by heat? (expansion or bubbling)
* How long does the planet Pluto intersect inside Neptune's orbit (in days)?
* What are the differences between the NSX in US and Japan? (I can't be bothered looking it up in the primeFAQ) :p

NeoNSX said:
The clear-bra pictures above are almost invisible and offer the <B>same protection</B> as a traditional car-bra... that's why i'm asking questions... hehe... i'm wondering what the catch is. :)
$$$ (need I say more :D )

NeoNSX said:
<B>Phoe<FONT COLOR=red>N$X</FONT></B>: LOL... thanks for the answers, here's more stupid questions for you:

* Why aren't more owners using it? Is this a new product?
* Is it effected by heat? (expansion or bubbling)
* How long does the planet Pluto intersect inside Neptune's orbit (in days)?
* What are the differences between the NSX in US and Japan? (I can't be bothered looking it up in the primeFAQ) :p [/B]
1. MYNSX uses it, isn't that 'nuff?
2. I haven't noticed any adverse reactions to heat, but will let you know once the blistering summer passes. ;)
3. *clueless*
4. US has no headlight washers, the steering wheel is on the left-hand side, and the side turning markers are in a different position, and some other minor cosmetic stuff (hey, gotta give nsxtasy a chance to postwhore!). :D

How's that?

I guess I shouldn't say it scratches easily. It really depends upon how dirty your car gets. If you can imagine how your car looks after driven a couple of days in the rain or if you drive to and from Lake Tahoe where there is alot of dirt on the road and there is a film of dirt on your car, that is when you have to be very very careful when you wash the car because that grit can put fine scratches on both your car's paint and clear bra. Not to mention if you drive in the valley where there are alot of bugs that splatter on your front end and you let it dry a couple of days before you wash the car. It will require additional scrubbing which most likely will scratch the clear bra. Of course most of us NSX owners don't drive in the rain, don't drive in the snow country and don't drive through the valley when bugs are present :D
I am not trying to knock the clear bra. It is a great idea and so far is probably the best alternative to protect the cars paint from rock chips. Its just that it hasn't been time tested. I have a customer who had it installed on his 98 Audi A4 about 5 years ago and he told me that it has yellowed a little and some of the edges started to lift with fine dirt/grit caught in it. I guess you can somehow trim it to get the dirt out and not cut the paint. He told me to avoid the headlights unless you have glass housings. I have not personally seen it so I can't verify this info. It is all about the $$$'S and finding a qualified installer is why there aren't more people getting this product.

Some confusions with the other post.

I've mentioned earlier in this thread that I've Autobahnd and it's proven that it's made by 3M (there's even a brochure). It is offered by many dealers to buyers as an option to put on a car. The only correction I've to make is that it cost $595, labor included. I don't know the do-it-yourself clear film is the same thing. Either way, I'll just get a hold on one of those brochures in the next few days and answer more possible questions.

I have it on my other car....

I have had it for 2 years on my Mercedes.

It is also on the headlights.

Absolutely zero damage wherever the material is on the car. I have it on the hood, headlights, mirrors.

Looks as good as new after 2 year. Great stuff.

Now, since I repainted the NSX, I need to get it coated!

PHOEN$X said:

1. MYNSX uses it, isn't that 'nuff?
2. I haven't noticed any adverse reactions to heat, but will let you know once the blistering summer passes. ;)
3. *clueless*
4. US has no headlight washers, the steering wheel is on the left-hand side, and the side turning markers are in a different position, and some other minor cosmetic stuff (hey, gotta give nsxtasy a chance to postwhore!). :D

How's that?

I'm <I>almost</I> satisfied...

1. If Bill uses it, that means it must be the best. :)
2. I ask this because in Australia we get some pretty hot days during summer.
4. hahaha... poor nsxtasy... it;s tough at the top; we give him so much crap. (but we do respect u ken!)

and most importantly...
3. Pluto's orbit does not actually intersect Neptune's. Pluto's orbit has a large eccentricity compared with the other planets (that is, most of the planets have orbits that are nearly circular; Pluto's orbit is notably elliptic), and the plane of its orbit is significantly tilted with respect to the plane of Neptune's orbit.
A number of books give 1999 or 1998 for the year that Pluto again becomes the ninth planet (in terms of distance from the Sun). Why the discrepancy? This might be because of uncertainty about Pluto's orbit. Pluto was discovered only a little over 60 years ago; since its "year" is about 248 Earth years, we have been able to observe Pluto's motion through only about a quarter of one orbit.

Thought you'd want to know that in case you ever end up on "Jeopardy." :p

i'm happy now... back to the topic...

Back