• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

clear bra

i was told that it comes off without ANY damage to the paint, but i guess time will tell :)

My concern was that the paint might dull more outside of the film. So, if you took it off, you would have uneven looking paint. They assured me that wouldnt happen because the sun goes right through the film.

Since Club Sportiva put the exact same film on roughly $3 Million dollars worth of high-end cars, and their installer was doing mine, I figured it would be ok.

Last weekend, I picked the film up from a local shop that sells on eBay. They had a nice shop out in Sherman Oaks called Sticker City. The guy there who owns the yellow 911 turbo is very knowledgeable and helpful. I did the door sills and parts of the front on my 2008 xB. I've tinted before so I figured it would be a similar process.

The 6" wide 3M film cost me just over $40 for about 10 feet of it. I started with the door sills since they would be the least noticeable. I bought 2 spray bottles to hold the 2 liquids that I would be using. The first bottle holds a 25% solution of alcohol in water. The 2nd bottle was supposed to be a drop of baby shampoo in water, but I used a drop of Meguiars car wash instead. However, I really never used the soapy solution. You also need to have a good razor blade, they recommend those snap sliding blades. I bought the thin Kobalt one at Lowes. After doing some cutting, I could see why they recommend these blades, they are sharp and give you better control than an X-acto.

I used the alcohol solution to clean and prep the areas where I would put the film on. I used masking tape to measure out how long and how wide the pieces needed to be. Then I cut the pieces and began laying it down. You spray both the surface and the film with the alcohol solution. I used a bondo spreader to press it to the surface and almost immediately it sticks very tightly. I work from the middle out to the edges. Sometimes I had to peel back up to get rid of bubbles. But I think a small amount of bubbles is OK. It's a lot like tinting except it's harder IMO. On the parts where it was a very curved surface, I applied a lot of heat from the heatgun just to make sure it formed well. You don't want to spread or press out bubbles after heating because you will make wrinkles.

I made some mistakes, they are hardly noticeable. I had some water bubbles that I popped at the corners and made them bleed out. I think I could have left some of the water bubbles though because as an experiment I left one water bubble and it's gone now. When I got around to my hood, I wondered how the heck they cut the film to make it fit. But the thing is, you cut the film while on the car but without going through to the paint. The 3M film is good in this respect as you can cut it part way and pull it off. Stickercity sells another product called Venture Shield which they say is better but harder to cut. I was surprised how easy it was to cut if you were careful. You just have to go very slow and have a good grip on your blade (that's why those snap blade knives are so good for the job).

So next week, I am going to pick up some 2 feet wide to do the rest of my bumper. I'm not intimidated by the process anymore. Yes, it's not cheap but it's not ridiculously expensive either. I believe every installer, even the good ones, make minor mistakes here and there. But the benefit of the protective film far outweighs the little bubbles and wrinkles. You have to expect this film to take a beating in it's lifetime as well, rocks will dent it and it will get scratched. You just peel it off and remove the adhesive with a good adhesive remover.

I wouldn't try it if you've never tried tinting before or unless you can get a lot of practice with the film. Maybe practice on your other car. I wish I would have put this on the NSX from day 1 though.

How do they prevent scratches in the paint if they are cutting the film while it is on the car? Is it with a standard razor blade? That is nerve-racking.

Malibu Rapper: Love to see some pics when you are done. If you can install it yourself with minimal noticable flaws, then it is worth saving all that money. Can't wait to see your pics.:smile:

How do they prevent scratches in the paint if they are cutting the film while it is on the car? Is it with a standard razor blade? That is nerve-racking.

The scratch and chip prevention comes from the fact that the plastic layer will absorb the energy of a rock. Cutting the film while it is on the car is not as bad as you would think. You do it with the break away knives. You just have to be careful not to cut into the paint, you dno't have to cut all the way through. I use one like in the picture below but it's a pretty nice on at Lowes in their Kobalt tool line.

t_16934_01.gif

Malibu Rapper: Love to see some pics when you are done. If you can install it yourself with minimal noticable flaws, then it is worth saving all that money. Can't wait to see your pics.:smile:

I'll try to take some pictures, it's hard to capture because my xB is white and the film is just hard to see. People don't know it's there until they rub the car.

I hate them.

Take care of your paint and don't stick clear uglyness on them.

I've paid good money to have them removed from any car I own that someone has monkey'd up my front hood.

I guess it is just a matter of opinion. While I agree that the clear bra isnt "perfect", I wouldnt call it clear ugliness. I would call it mildly unattractive, but only if you are really looking for it or scrutinizing the car at close range. When driving, NOBODY would ever notice the clear bra. When motionless, you cannot see it at all from 6 feet away. Compared to rock chips, which I find really unattractive (and can see from 6 feet away), it is the better alternative, IMHO.

I hate them.

Take care of your paint and don't stick clear uglyness on them.

I've paid good money to have them removed from any car I own that someone has monkey'd up my front hood.

Is clear ugliness an oxymoron?:confused: Clear implies you can't see it (at a certain distance and beyond), and if you can't see it, how can it be ugly? Clear bra is not for everyone; some people like it and others rather repaint their bumper and hood every couple of years to keep the front end looking sharp (without rock chips). I wouldn't refer to my clear bra as monkey'd up my front hood, but protecting it. Isn't that one way of taking care of my paint? What do you call putting 02+ taillights on a 95 NSX? Is that not monkey'd up your back end :biggrin: (no offense to those who have 02+ taillights)? I'm just teasing SWIFTVISION.:tongue: I actually like the 02+taillights. Make it a good day. :smile:

Last edited:
Well, can you wash her yet or she still dirty? :biggrin:.

Sounds like someone (you) may be doing the 02+ rear lights in the future. Don't forget the rear valance. :wink:

Myself, i am still waiting for my car to be finished. :frown:

Well, can you wash her yet or she still dirty? :biggrin:.

Sounds like someone (you) may be doing the 02+ rear lights in the future. Don't forget the rear valance. :wink:

Myself, i am still waiting for my car to be finished. :frown:

Washing car this weekend.
No mods in the near future. Will have 2 kids in college in August. Should know better is a couple of years.
When are you expecting your NSX back?

When are you expecting your NSX back?
:frown: I have no idea. The last two times i went by the shop (2 and 3 weeks ago) it was still sitting there with the nose disassembled. They were supposed to be starting the prep for the paint last week but i didn't go by and see. It's starting to get depressing to so badly want it completed and then go by and see no change.

Back