• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

clear bra

I guess a question I would have is how does it perform when you detail your car? If that material is on your car does it change the underlining effects when exposed to sun, elememts, etc.? If I detail my '98 would there be a difference between the cover and a new detailed job?

to nsxjoy:
Did you clear bra your whole front hood? If you did it looks good I can't see any lines on the clear bra.

Mr. Duck said:
Has anyone of you guys had any bad experience
with clear bra? What do you guys think of it.
Go here http://interwestdc.com/index.asp to find your answers. Ask for Mike Bleidi he did the demo at the SEMA show.:)

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

General Installation Care Instructions Warranty
Paint Protection Paint Protection Paint Protection Paint Protection

Headlight Protection Headlight Protection Headlight Protection

GENERAL - PAINT PROTECTION
Q Can the film be removed?

A Yes. It can be removed easily and will not damage the paint. To remove the film, you must heat the surface to approximately 150°F while working a corner of the film with your fingernail. Once you have enough of the material free from the surface to hold on to, slowly pull the film from the paint.

Q Will it really stop rocks from chipping the front of my car?

A Yes. The material that it is made from was originally designed by 3M engineers to protect the leading edges of aircraft propellers and rotor blades from rock chips. It is a much easier task to protect your vehicles paint than it is to protect a propeller moving at nearly the speed of sound.

Q Can I see a line where the shield stops?
A A line is slightly visible where the shield stops, but the three alternatives to that line are a bug shield, a bra, or rock chips.

Q How hard is it to see on the car after it is applied?

A The material is about 99.5% clear. On any color darker than stark white, you can't see the film. On a stark white car, you can see that .5% of color, but it still is "invisible" at a short distance.

Q How long will it last? When will I have to replace the kit?

A Our product has a two year warranty, though the material has an average life span of about 7 years. Except for rock chips, the same factors that affect the life of your cars paint affect our product. Whether or not the car is garaged and whether or not it is kept washed and waxed will make a big difference.

Q How is the kit applied? Do you spray it on?

A The plastic material comes to us in a large roll. Our machines cut the plastic into shapes designed to fit various parts of your car. These pieces are then applied to the vehicle in a very similar fashion to that of window tint. The pieces and the painted surface are wet with a solution and moved into position, then the solution is squeegeed away.

Q Will my paint fade differently under the shield than it does on the rest of the car?

A No. The material does contain an inhibitor to prevent the plastic from reacting to the sun's UV rays, but this does not prevent the UV rays from passing through the plastic into your paint.

Q Is this material safe to use on the new water based acrylic paints that are being used by some manufacturers?

A Yes. The material has no harmful effects on water based acrylic paints and still provides the same level of protection.

GENERAL - HEADLIGHT PROTECTION
Q Does the application of these kits adversely affect the illumination of my lights?

A Any difference in the illumination quality of protected lights protected is undetectable to the human eye. You will not notice any difference in the performance of your headlights.

Q Is installation difficult? Can I do it myself?

A The installation process is very simple. Anyone can apply these kits provided the written instructions that come with each kit are followed closely.

Q How long will the kits last? When will I need to replace the kit?

A The material these kits are made from is designed to last 8 years or longer. Since most people don't keep their cars for more than 4 years, in most cases there will be no need to ever replace the kit on your vehicle.

Q What will happen if I replace my stock bulbs with higher wattage bulbs then add a kit to the light? Will excessive heat retention cause premature bulb failure?

A No. Our kits are made from an .040" material which allows heat to be more efficiently dissipated than some other kits made from thicker material. Our material is also more flexible and provides a better, more secure fit, especially in areas of radical contours, while still providing exceptional protection at speeds over 120 mph.

Q If I replace my stock headlamp/fog lamp bulbs with higher wattage bulbs, will the extra heat melt the light protection kit?

A No. Our headlamp protection kits have been tested from 300°F to -40°F with no harm to the material.

INSTALLATION - PAINT PROTECTION
Q I don't think the kit is cut right. It seems to be too short.

A Depending on the kit you are applying, some kits are purposely designed short so that you have to stretch them into place. The purpose of this design is to compensate for an unusual curve on the vehicles surface or to help pull out excess material around the edges that would otherwise be very difficult to lay down.

Q I can't get the material to stick to the paint in some areas. It seems like there is no adhesive on the material.

A Two things can cause this. First is not removing the wax from the vehicle's paint before starting installation. Second is not washing out all of the soap/water solution with the alcohol/water solution before squeegeeing down the material.

INSTALLATION - HEADLIGHT PROTECTION
Q I have installed the kit on my headlights and they looked fine, but why do they look foggy now?

A When using the wet application technique, this is normal. The fog is the result of the alcohol/water solution evaporating under the plastic. The water vapor that is produced results in a hazy appearance for several days. The haze will clear as the water vapor dissipates.

Q Is it best to apply your light protection kit to the lenses wet or dry?

A We have found that the wet installation yields the best looking installation with the least amount of difficulty. You are less likely to get bubbles under the plastic and less likely to install the pieces crooked.

Q The lights on my car are heavily contoured. Is your kit hard to install on this type of light or should I have them professionally installed?

A Our headlamp protection material is extremely pliable and can easily be contoured over dome shaped surfaces. Professional installation should not be necessary provided that you follow the instructions closely.

Q I have the headlamp kit almost completely applied using the wet application method, but I can’t seem to get the edges to completely stick down. What am I doing wrong?

A It is absolutely imperative that a hairdryer or heat gun is used in this area to seal the edges. The heat serves two purposes. First, it helps evaporate the remaining alcohol/water solution from under the edges, and second it makes the plastic more pliable so that it can contour to the edge of the light. Be careful if you are using a heat gun to warm the plastic. It takes only a small amount of heat to apply the material. If you apply too much heat you can damage the surface of the plastic.

CARE INSTRUCTIONS - PAINT PROTECTION
Q What special care is required for the paint protection kits?

A No special care is necessary for your Paint Protection kit once installed. You may wash and wax it just as you do the rest of your car. You may experience a wax build up along the hood lines and other kit edges. Use a Q-tip or a soft brush to gently wipe away excess wax. Swirl marks can be buffed out with a light coat of wax.

Q Can I take my car to a high pressure car wash?

A When using high-pressure sprayers, do not place the nozzle directly against the edge of the kit, or lifting may occur.

CARE INSTRUCTIONS - HEADLIGHT PROTECTION
Q What special care is required for the headlamp protection kits?
A These kits require little special care. The most important thing is to avoid using any abrasives to clean the lens covering. A soft cloth or sponge will work fine.

Q Can I take my car to a high pressure car wash?

A Yes. High pressure washes will not affect the kit as long as you avoid spraying the high pressure wand directly into one of the edges from less than two inches away.

Q Will chemicals damage the material?

A The material will resist most commercially available solvents such as acetone, MEK, laquer thinner, gasoline, etc...

WARRANTY - PAINT PROTECTION
Q What is 3M’s warranty on the paint protection film?

A 3M WARRANTS THAT THIS PRODUCT WILL CONFORM TO 3M’S SPECIFICATIONS FOR TWO YEARS FOLLOWING PURCHASE FROM 3M, IF APPLIED IN ACCORDANCE WITH 3M’S INSTRUCTION. 3M makes no other warranties regarding this product, express or implied, including, but not limited to, any implied warranty of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. User is responsible for determining whether this product is suitable for users application. Because there are many factors that can affect the use and performance of this product, some of which are uniquely within the user’s knowledge and control, it is essential that the user evaluate this product to determine whether it is fit for a particular purpose, is suitable for user’s application, and meets user’s performance specifications and expectations.

LIMITATION OF REMEDIES AND LIABILITY: IF THIS 3M PRODUCT IS PROVED TO BE DEFECTIVE, THE EXCLUSIVE REMEDY, AT 3M’S OPTION, WILL BE TO REFUND THE PURCHASE PRICE OF OR TO REPLACE SUCH DEFECTIVE PRODUCT. 3M will not be liable for any other loss or damages, whether direct, indirect, special, incidental or consequential, arising out of the use of or inability to use this product regardless of the legal theory asserted, including negligence, warranty and strict liability. The foregoing warranty and limitation may only be amended by a written agreement signed by an authorized 3M officer.

Q Does the warranty provide for a replacement kit in the event that it is improperly installed?

A We can only guarantee work that is done at our facility or by one of our technicians. Work performed at one of our dealer's facilities is the responsibility of that dealer.

Paint Protection For Your Acura
Acura Accessories: Paint Protection Kits
The finest quality products available to protect the paint on your Acura.

If you are not sure whether or not to attempt installation, consult our technical support department at (303) 777-4455 or send e-mail to [email protected].

Last edited:
The Autobahnd covers the front of the hood, it is not necessary to do the whole hood as they claim.

Good news for everybody!! I've just stopped by my dealer and got the brochure. Just wail till I scan it (or lazily take a picture of it) and I'll post it here.

Last edited:
PHOEN$X said:
(hey, gotta give nsxtasy a chance to postwhore!). :D

Moi???

Originally posted by NeoNSX
4. hahaha... poor nsxtasy... it;s tough at the top; we give him so much crap. (but we do respect u ken!)

Gee, I was gone from here for a week, and no one even missed me!
cry.gif

nsxtasy said:
Gee, I was gone from here for a week, and no one even missed me!
cry.gif
Hey, we thought you were off enjoying your new F355! :D

Seriously, I was wondering what happened to you. Didn't you take your car to the track? Do fill us in on your little "vacation" away from Prime! ;)

NeoNSX said:

and most importantly...
3. Pluto's orbit does not actually intersect Neptune's. Pluto's orbit has a large eccentricity compared with the other planets (that is, most of the planets have orbits that are nearly circular; Pluto's orbit is notably elliptic), and the plane of its orbit is significantly tilted with respect to the plane of Neptune's orbit.
A number of books give 1999 or 1998 for the year that Pluto again becomes the ninth planet (in terms of distance from the Sun). Why the discrepancy? This might be because of uncertainty about Pluto's orbit. Pluto was discovered only a little over 60 years ago; since its "year" is about 248 Earth years, we have been able to observe Pluto's motion through only about a quarter of one orbit.

Ya.........I was just about to say that.

<B>NSXTASY: Gee, I was gone from here for a week, and no one even missed me! </B>

We did miss you... but i think everyone was so busy post-whoring to catch up to you while you were gone - a futile effort i might add.... ;)

<B>8000RPM</B>: :rolleyes:

<B>NsxJoy</B>: will keep an eye on this thread for it (or are you gonna post it in a new thread?)

<B>Syonara</B>: LOL... that waffle of mine is true too... found that info on a Science web site.

PHOEN$X said:
Hey, we thought you were off enjoying your new F355! :D

Seriously, I was wondering what happened to you. Didn't you take your car to the track? Do fill us in on your little "vacation" away from Prime! ;)

Well, I was away for four days, including three on the track at Mid-Ohio, instructing for NASA and driving my Integra Type R.

When I got back late Sunday night, I just beat the snow, then shoveled heavy slush Monday morning.

I've spent much of this week restoring members to the e-mail lists, as noted here.

I've sold the F355, and I'm baaaaaaaack... :p

Last edited:
Please excuse the poor quality as I don't have time to hook up my scanner and reinstall the drivers (I've just formatted my comp recently).

Okay guys, here we go!!

Attachments

• autobahnd.jpg
    autobahnd.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 479
And the back of the brochure...

(Yes, these are photocopies, my dealer ran out of brochures so I just asked them to copy the one they have)

Attachments

• autobahnd2.jpg
    autobahnd2.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 455
Hmm, I am already feeling people are cursing at me for worsening their eye sights but I personally think they are still readable.:cool:

Hey Guys,

One more quick question:

Do you apply this film directly over the front emblem, or do you need to remove the emblem and reinstall it??

Thanks,
LarryB

Thanks NSXJOY!!!

*cross-eyed* i had no problems reading it. :p
thanks for taking the trouble of scanning that.

One last question from me is.... let me put it into context:

let say u install it on your hood.
u drive it in the sun, rain, hail, snow :)eek: ) ...
then a couple of years later you decide to remove the film.

<B>My question is:</B> does the paint that was underneath the film fade/discolor differently to non-protected areas? (u may need to read that again slowly so it's clear)

i assume it doesnt but i gotta ask these things.... :)

DOH!!!!!!!

As you can see, I didn't scan it. Therefore, I missed out the contact number at the bottom of the first page. It's (508) 261-0308.

I'd love to give you an accurate reply to your question but with only a year and three months after the installation, I don't think my experience is qualified to give you a satisfactory answer. Give them a call and tell us what they say :D

Thanks for the phone-number NSXJOY, but since i live overseas i think i can live without an answer. :D

Besides, if i called them they would naturally say "yeah, no problems"... hence i'd rather hear it from a customer.

Bringing this back from the dead, since I don't want to create yet another post on the same topic.

Few questions:

1. Hard to install? Is it similar to installing tint on glass?

2. I have some rock chips on the front bumper and will have it repainted. Once painted, do I need to wait for a period to have the paint "fully cure" prior to installing the clear bra? I'm talking about the crappy California Bay Area tree-hugging paint.....

Bringing this back from the dead, since I don't want to create yet another post on the same topic.

Few questions:

2. I have some rock chips on the front bumper and will have it repainted. Once painted, do I need to wait for a period to have the paint "fully cure" prior to installing the clear bra? I'm talking about the crappy California Bay Area tree-hugging paint.....

Definitely not something you'd want to attempt yourself if you want it to look right.
http://www.premiermobilegroup.com/paint_protection_film_faq.shtml

Few questions:

1 Unless you are installing a flat surface and not using 3M film I would not suggest it unless you are not a picky person
2 I suggest people wait about a month and a half before installing film . But depending on what kind of paint was used and how well the prep was done will effect the out come.

I am having mine done in a few weeks. I talked to the installer. He said the only drawback of the product is the glue that holds the clear bra can turn yellow over time if it is in the sun a long time (nothing any of us who baby their NSX in a garage). He said it does not always happen but it is possible. He has it in his white car that is left out in the sun and has not had any problems yet. (had it on 2 yers)

Having mine done next week at Premier. Full front, fender, and hood (& mirrors). I will pick up the car after work when it is done. Therefore, if anyone wants to see what it looks like up close in person, please let me know.

Having mine done next week at Premier. Full front, fender, and hood (& mirrors). I will pick up the car after work when it is done. Therefore, if anyone wants to see what it looks like up close in person, please let me know.
That is exactly what i want done. Can i ask how much they are charging you to do the entire front and mirrors?

Thanks

That is exactly what i want done. Can i ask how much they are charging you to do the entire front and mirrors?

Thanks

If I had to guess, I bet it is around $650 or so.

Back