• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Climate Control problem

I think my thread got lost in the transistion.

'91 NSX, 85K miles, we've only had it for a few weeks.

Symptoms, in '01 the climate control started to only blow on high. The blower motor TSB was done (both the motor and transistor). Problem persisted. Once we got the car we took out the climate control board and replaced 5 or 6 capacitors that looked to be dead, problem still persists. We checked the wiring harness per the shop manual, wiring harness is fine. So we think it's still probably the CC board.

So any ideas? Anyone have a known good CC board we could borrow to test? Thanks.

cmarsh90 said:
I think my thread got lost in the transistion.

'91 NSX, 85K miles, we've only had it for a few weeks.

Symptoms, in '01 the climate control started to only blow on high. The blower motor TSB was done (both the motor and transistor). Problem persisted. Once we got the car we took out the climate control board and replaced 5 or 6 capacitors that looked to be dead, problem still persists. We checked the wiring harness per the shop manual, wiring harness is fine. So we think it's still probably the CC board.

So any ideas? Anyone have a known good CC board we could borrow to test? Thanks.

I have a '91 with the same problem. Works on high and sometimes on other settings. Problem seems to be worse when there is rain or moisture. This was the quote I got from Goodson Acura in Irving.

"Your blower malfunction is a combination amplifier failure AND a bad climate control control unit (say that three times fast). Repair would run $1240, I've put in a request for assistance to Acura, but I don't expect a response today."

No assistance so far. I will probably have it fixed before it gets too hot here in Dallas. I just replaced the ignition switch today. That was $200. Did the 60K, timing belt & water pump a couple of months ago. That was $2200. Oh, and the alignment and two tires (with 3K miles on them) was $550. I hope this is it for a while. So much for new wheels right now.

I had the same exact problem on a 94 I had. After trying several fix's it finally came down to a bad head unit, $1200 plus. I finally just adjusted to it only working on HI, when I did not want as much air I would shift it to blow on defrost. I sold the car about 8 months ago and the new owner told me that the unit just started working again on all fan levels. He is on this forum and his login name is tchaic. You may want to contact him directly for adittional info

Thanks for the info guys.

Just FYI the ignition switch is about a $60 part, takes about 30 min to put in and all you need is a phillips screwdriver.

The CC unit is about a $600 part and takes 30min-1hour to put in.

Also when you say: "Your blower malfunction is a combination amplifier failure AND a bad climate control control unit (say that three times fast). Repair would run $1240, I've put in a request for assistance to Acura, but I don't expect a response today."

Did they explain that the two are somehow connected? Or just that both are malfunctioning? The CC/blower doesn't have any connection to the stereo that I know of, perhaps I'm wrong though.

Have the climate control board properly repaired by Gerhard Langguth, Langguth Electronics, 711 E Parkway Dr, Russellville,Ar 72801 (479)967-0873.
He just fixed mine and it works perfect. There may be more problems that just capacitors that are not visible.
When the capacitors fail they sometimes leak the electrolyte on to the circuit board and it can damage the traces (circuit paths). My unit did not appear to have any damage, but there were several traces that needed repair. Also all the capacitors need to be replaced, not just those that appear to be bad.
Gerhard did a great job and the cost was $100 + shipping. Sure beats what the dealer wanted.
Tom

It certainly sounds like capacitors. About a month ago my climate control started only blowing on highest settings. Found a local electronic place that replaced all capacitors (sometimes when they go out it is not so obvious so it may be best just to replace them all). Cost was $145 including tax. Works perfectly now. Good luck.

A/C problem

Chicago said:
It certainly sounds like capacitors. About a month ago my climate control started only blowing on highest settings. Found a local electronic place that replaced all capacitors (sometimes when they go out it is not so obvious so it may be best just to replace them all). Cost was $145 including tax. Works perfectly now. Good luck.

Are they located on the A/C control unit? How difficult was it to remove the part and how long did it take? This sounds much better than the alternative. The good news is that my A/C has been working just fine for the past few weeks. Can a capacitor cut in and out?

The board is located inside the CC control box (the thing with the digital display and knobs on it), in order to get to it you have to remove the center console, trim around the entire console, and the clock and 2 upper vents. It's really not that hard.

Taking the dash apart is not difficult, but there are some things to note to save yourself headaches. They are posted somewhere - check FAQs. Once the dash is apart, unclip the Climate Control. The board is inside. If you are not very adept with a soldering iron and working with capacitors and rebuilding traces, I highly recommend having someone work on it for you. When mine first started going out, it would work properly for a few days and then only blow on high. After about a week it only blew on high for good. Hope this helps.

Ok well we sent the board to Gerhard Langguth and it arrived back in a couple weeks, plugged it in and it works perfectly, he was nice to deal with as well. So problem solved.

That's great to hear cmarsh90! I just got my second unit back last Thursday (another Prime member salontools gave me his old dead module).Gerhard repaired it and it tested great as well!
Nice to have a spare around in HOT Florida.
I highly recommend Gerhard to all Prime members!

had the same problem with my system, took out the climate control board and took it to a tv repair shop. 50 dollars and he replaced all the capaciters. works perfect now

Back