• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

clutch master cylinder, parts and labor=how much

Hey guys,
I am getting a master cylinder put in and the guys at the shop wanted,i think, it was 350 or 450 to have it replaced. Well, i checked dali and they are selling the cylinder for $101.00. What is the typical price for install labor? My question is how long does it take to change a cylinder, is it worth an extra 250 or 350 :confused: ?? By the way, the tranny is out already. I am having the RPS single disc put in, and I get their new pattened cyn-r-g fly too :D i need to give them a response by monday 10-25-04, please help.
Fros7

Last edited:
Master cylinder is pretty easy to do, 2 bolts, one cotter pin and a hydraulic fitting is about all there is to it. They will need to bleed the system too but that is not a big deal, should be done when the clutch is replaced anyway. If they are already doing a clutch it should be less than 2 hours extra labor to do the master cylinder as well.

IMO for $350-450 you should be getting BOTH the master and slave done inlcuding parts and labor. I DIY'd it and it really doesn't take that long.

Fros7 said:
Well, i checked dali and they are selling the cylinder for $101.00. What is the typical price for install labor? My question is how long does it take to change a cylinder, is it worth an extra 250 or 350

Low to mid $300 is normal for the job. Keep in mind their quote no doubt includes the part at list ($150ish?) not discounted like Dali. It does take an hour or two.

I'm with jgtcnsx: if you can spare an afternoon and do your homework it's an easy way to save a few hundred dollars. That's what I did, though I had to spend some of that "saved" money on tools :)

thanks everyone. I was thinking of doing it myself, but since the car is up on the lift then it would be easier to just pay. Well, if it is more than 350 im just going to tell them to hold off on it. Thanks again. :)

Back