• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Clutch replacement without a car lift

Is it possible to change the clutch without a lift?
my release bearing is making noise and I would like to replace the factory original with 48,000 miles on it.

has anyone changed a clutch and provided a write up ?

Yes it definitely possible. I did it several years ago and the only thing I remember is the transmission was very heavy when I put it back in.

Found this online and it has some good pictures.
http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.php?10538-Ed-s-DIY-clutch-replacement

Also, my advise would be to pop the center caps off the wheels and loosen the axle nuts prior to jacking up the car. This has been the easiest way I've found to remove them and I don't remember if the service manual calls this out or not.

At about 47,000 mi, my (all OEM clutch assembly) release bearing got stiff, and produced a squeal as the bearing first touched the clutch plate fingers upon release. Bearing was absolutely quiet upon full in or full release of the clutch pedal.

Definitely was weird. Pressure and mid plates were perfect - no measureable wear or warp; discs were less than 50% worn. No rough spots in the bearing, just stiff.

A new bearing and discs (as a precaution), a lot of "quality time" under the car, and all has been wonderful for over a year since then. No idea why the bearing got stiff - no driving through deep puddles, car is garaged, etc.

So - what kind of bearing noise are you having??

Noise, when and where it happens sound the same on my car. Only happens on high torque out if the hole.
I am going to take the inspection plate off to check the Pressure and mid clutch plates.
If all is ok, I will keep driving it.
Maybe stop at SOS on the way to NSXPO to get the clutch done.

Back