• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Clutch replacement?

I have a stock 1993 with a slipping clutch. What is a rough estimate of the cost I should expect to have the disk and bearings replaced? I don't see any reason to have the flywheel replaced. Also, should I stay with the OEM clutch or go after market? Street driving only, no mods, no racing. I am located in South Florida.

Last edited:
I have stayed with an oem clutch for my stock NSX, all street driving.
Have always bought the complete clutch package which includes the flywheel.
Not sure if you can buy an oem clutch without the flywheel but others may know better than I.
I note the clutch set is not offered on some online Acura stores.
Never had any problems with oem.

If the flywheel and the pressure plate are ok, you can just change the two discs and the bearing. That is what I did on my track NSX.

If the flywheel and the pressure plate are ok, you can just change the two discs and the bearing. That is what I did on my track NSX.

Unfortunately, no you cannot, since the disks are no longer available separately, only the entire clutch package w/flywheel in the US;).

Regards,
LarryB

Last edited:
I just found that the OEM clutch is sold as a kit with the flywheel. To make things worse they are discontinued so I may have to go after market now. Any advise on a non racing clutch that would be similar/superior to OEM? I looked at Science OF Speed and they have one but I don't know what the manufacturer is:
ScienceofSpeed Sport 275
https://www.scienceofspeed.com/inde...nceofspeed-sport-275-clutch-flywheel-kit.html

WTF?! Just saw it's really discontinued. Honda can't be serious to discontinue a part that is needed to drive the car. What's next, brake discs, TB, WP?

Last edited:
For your driving environment, I would recommend staying with the OEM CL.
If you reacted early enough, you can just replace the two friction discs and re-use the flywheel/mid plate/pressure basket.
You can buy just the 1st and 2nd friction discs separately from the rest of the CL parts (although they could be discontinued outside of Japan….) but you can’t buy the flywheel/mid plate/pressure basket separately because they are balanced as a set.

Please note that unless you replace the flywheel, you may never get the feeling of the ‘straight out of the factory’ after CL service.
You may feel judder at CL bite point if re-using the above parts.

This is because NSX friction disc seems to be using much higher friction coefficient material compared to other ordinary production cars due to its small size yet relatively high engine power.

If you want bit more responsive engine, you could go for the aftermarket flywheel but don’t go too light on the weight and too far for the inertia reduction especially if you are doing mainly city driving as you will end up chasing the rpm drop on launch/shifting all the time.

On many Japanese cars, you can keep using the original flywheel for the life of the engine but on NSX, quite often, you will see un-even wear and blue marking on the flywheel especially if the owner waited too late for the CL service even after the 1st sign of the slip.

If the parts is in stock, you may want to first remove the trans and inspect the condition of the flywheel before deciding what to order.
If you visit Honda/Acura dealers and if they follow the Honda textbook, they will quote you 5.1Hr for the CL set service but in real world, be prepared for the 10Hr quote if they follow the workshop manual method.

Kaz

WTF?! Just saw it's really discontinued.

I was just at my local Honda NSX dealership and in the European parts system, the OEM clutch set is listed as still being available, albeit for EUR 2500 and with a three month delivery period. According to the European parts system, the friction discs cannot be purchased separately.

Please note that unless you replace the flywheel, you may never get the feeling of the ‘straight out of the factory’ after CL service.
You may feel judder at CL bite point if re-using the above parts.

I feel a bit of judder with mine and I was hoping that would go away. I recently installed a new OEM twin disc clutch set with a lightweight flywheel. Since Tilton didn't want to do a production run of one for me, I bought a used Tilton flywheel instead that seemed to be in good condition. However, there is a bit of judder at the bite point. I hope that goes away!

If you want bit more responsive engine, you could go for the aftermarket flywheel but don’t go too light on the weight and too far for the inertia reduction especially if you are doing mainly city driving as you will end up chasing the rpm drop on launch/shifting all the time.

Even in city driving, I'm very happy with my Tilton, which supposedly has even less inertia than JUN's ultra lightweight flywheel. In my opinion it's still very easy to drive and the only downside I see is that it judders a slight bit when the clutch bites. The next time I need a clutch for my naturally-aspirated NSX I think I'll go with an OEM twin-disc set and a new JUN ultra lightweight flywheel, if those parts are still available.

I was just at my local Honda NSX dealership and in the European parts system, the OEM clutch set is listed as still being available, albeit for EUR 2500 and with a three month delivery period. According to the European parts system, the friction discs cannot be purchased separately.
EUR 2500 and three months?! I'm happy to have one in stock since a few years just for the event it fails. Thinking about stocking some parts my car will certainly need in a the next two years.

Is the clutch set available for the 6 speed cars? Looking at the parts catalog, it looks like the flywheel and clutch disks are all separate items with the flywheel itself costing over $2K! Would I have to buy all of those items separately?? I'm thinking about buying a clutch set to keep on hand before the 6 speed ones are discontinued too!

EUR 2500 and three months?! I'm happy to have one in stock since a few years just for the event it fails. Thinking about stocking some parts my car will certainly need in a the next two years.

I ordered the heat shield of the right shaft and, even if said there was a 3 month delay on the Honda part system of my mechanics, it arrived in 2 weeks. But 2500 € :frown:

Do some brands manufacture OEM-replacement clutch discs ? I think mine were Sachs when I replaced them.

Is the clutch set available for the 6 speed cars? Looking at the parts catalog, it looks like the flywheel and clutch disks are all separate items with the flywheel itself costing over $2K! Would I have to buy all of those items separately?? I'm thinking about buying a clutch set to keep on hand before the 6 speed ones are discontinued too!

There is usually no need to replace the OEM dual mass flywheel, which is frightfully expensive. Most manufacturers will say that a dual mass flywheel cannot be resurfaced but it can be done. It does take special fixturing that most shops do not have but it is out there. Jeremy (NSX1145) at SCW Performance in Carrollton, TX found a local source and had my flywheel resurfaced when he replaced my clutch last year. BTW, I highly recommend his work!

I bought a brand new OEM clutch replacement kit on eBay for around $800. It was sold by an Acura dealership but I don't recall which one it was.

Lose clutch plates are available OE, we can order them.As Kaz pointed out we always recommend replacement of the flywheel as you can get shudder and vibrations at certain RPM or Engagement points.In theory a resurfacing of the flywheels can be done, although the secondary flywheel would be tricky.

- - - Updated - - -

€1750 is what we charge for a OEM clutch kit

I'm nervous that the 6-speed ones will go discontinued soon as well. So if I want a complete clutch replacement "kit" for the 6 speed, do I have to buy 2,3 and 4 in the link below?
http://www.acuraoemparts.com/auto-parts/2004/acura/nsx/nsx-t-trim/6-speed-manual-engine/engine-cat/clutch-flywheel-scat<strike></strike>

I don't see any bearings here. Would I need anything else for a complete clutch replacement?

WTF Honda! Now I will be forced to buy a shitty chattering aftermarket clutch?
Good thing I replaced mine about 3k miles ago...

Does comptech still make the PG1 clutch?
No they discontinued that as well. I still have my old pg clutch. I saved it to possibly rebuild it. Just needs new disks.

For 6MT single disc dual mass flywheel CL, you have a few options.

1. Just replace the friction disc and re-use the flywheel and pressure basket.
If re-using the flywheel, you need to pay extra attention to any noise/feeling before removing the trans.

Unlike the twin disc CL, the torsion spring is inside the flywheel connecting the 1st and 2nd flywheel.
The springs are under continuous changes in load characteristic that they can fatigue and eventually break down.
This will result in judderly noise or you can feel the judder or abnormal vibration at the bite point.

As you never know what will happen in the long term future, if you covered well enough mileage with your existing 6MT CL, you may want replacing the flywheel and the pressure basket together with the friction disc at the time if, for some reason, you want staying with the single disc dual mass flywheel.

2. Replace all three.
As per above reason, replace all three together at the time of 6MT CL service.

3. Replace main shaft to Type-S Zero/NSX-R spec and use twin disc CL instead.
Because of the complex structure, as you found out, the dual mass flywheel is mega expensive.
To me, it’s actually reasonable price considering the small number of 6MT models produced and knowing the complicated design/structure.

So, at the time of 6MT CL service and if you need to replace the dual mass flywheel, my recommendation is to open the gbox, replace the main shaft to Type S-Zero/NSX-R spec and use the 5MT twin disc CL instead.
Better inertia distribution compared to dual mass flywheel, better eng response and price of mains shaft conversion is similar to replacing the dual mass flywheel.
If you have early model 6MT, you can convert the 5-6th synchro to double cone type at the same time.

So, for the first 6MT CL service, you may be able to re-use the flywheel and the pressure basket and just replace the friction disc.
On the second occasion when you are very likely to require replacing the dual mass flywheel, you may want considering the above option #3 .

Of course, I'm assuming that you will be replacing other standard items at the time of CL service such as the bearing, release guide, release fork, etc so none of them are included in the above options.

Kaz

Last edited:
Back