• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

coilover brands?

Hi there, has anyone here ever used or heard of Megan or D2 coilovers before? if so how do they feel, any problems? Im trying to decide what to buy, I was going to buy a bilstein with eibach combo, but have decided to get the coilover setup since it will work out about the same price. Im decided on the tein flex, megan or D2, any help would be appreciated.

thanks..

Buy the bilsteins, put your OEM springs on the lower perch, job done.

Don't waste your $ on the D2/K-sport/Megan coilovers, if you want to search for information on them, go to google and search for "D2 site:nsxprime.com", they're lower-quality systems with too much adjustability, and questionable build quailty. If you want something stiff you can get the custom valved, but there is a reason they're at this price level. Any company that tries to appear to be another company raises red flags in my mind. D2 uses another company's logo to give itself 'racing credit', Megan is an attempt at 'Mugen'

The main question I would pose is do you really need coilovers, or are you going to set them at a specific height and leave them that way? Cost is not a good reason to buy coilovers.

the reason i was thinking not to do the bilsteins is because they only lower the car 7/8, i have 18 and 19 inch combo on my car so the gap is larger. anyone with pictures of a 18,19 inch combo with bilsteins on lower perch? and or coilover setups?

thanks in advance

i have 18 and 19 inch combo on my car so the gap is larger.

Why would that be? The overall diameter of your wheel/tire should be the same as stock so that your ABS and TSC work properly.

my tires are 215/35/18 and 275/30/19

The OEM 16/17's are 23.5"/24.6", the typical 17/18 sizes people run (many with bilstein/lower perch setups) are 23.8"/25.3" outer diameter.

According to your tire sizes, you have 24.1"/25.5" outer diameter, essentially the same as 17/18's.

so it is bigger than the stock wheels? would the bilsteins close the gap enough? I wanted to lower it before when it had the stock wheels, so I am looking for a smaller gap.
thanks for your help by the way, this is awesome.

so it is bigger than the stock wheels? would the bilsteins close the gap enough? I wanted to lower it before when it had the stock wheels, so I am looking for a smaller gap.
thanks for your help by the way, this is awesome.

If the .875" drop from the Bilsteins isn't enough get the Dali progressive springs. Very similar to OEM with slightly sharper performance and a great price.

Use them with the higher Bilstein perch and you'll get a 1.25" drop.

Buy the bilsteins, put your OEM springs on the lower perch, job done.

Don't waste your $ on the D2/K-sport/Megan coilovers, if you want to search for information on them, go to google and search for "D2 site:nsxprime.com", they're lower-quality systems with too much adjustability, and questionable build quailty. If you want something stiff you can get the custom valved, but there is a reason they're at this price level. Any company that tries to appear to be another company raises red flags in my mind. D2 uses another company's logo to give itself 'racing credit', Megan is an attempt at 'Mugen'

The main question I would pose is do you really need coilovers, or are you going to set them at a specific height and leave them that way? Cost is not a good reason to buy coilovers.

The D2 I have on my car and they work very good better then bilstein that i had before you must to work a lot on it to find the good balance but then you a products like tein
I use the car also in a track

Andrea

If the .875" drop from the Bilsteins isn't enough get the Dali progressive springs. Very similar to OEM with slightly sharper performance and a great price.

Use them with the higher Bilstein perch and you'll get a 1.25" drop.

All this just cost more money$$$$ Now this is a GREAT PRICE Just heat the springs with the good old red wrench and watch how low you can get that balling ride CHEAP :biggrin::wink:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gmYR2SqUt4M&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gmYR2SqUt4M&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Bilsteins with Eibachs......i believe upper perch since I have been told lower perch with my 18&19s would be too low.....

BTW - The 18s rub in the front on tight corners at speed.........

IMG_1942trimmed.jpg

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46639

My 18/19 blistein stock spring setups are on page 3. My tein RE setup is on page 2. And I think I have another different setup on page 1.

My tein RE railed but was harsh in town on our rough roads and the back end would skip around on rough corners so I was constantly drifting around corners. I still loved my Tein RE because of it's super precise race car go kart feel though. My bilstein on stock springs are SUPER comfy all around. I longer have my rear end sliding out on me in rough corners or bumps and it soaks those all up. I'm faster in the rough but not as fast in the smoother corners. Handling is a bit softer and not as precise as the tein but I definitely still love that my car will stick the corners even when it gets rough.

If I were to change again, I'd like to goto the Tein Flex next. Simplicity in the bilsteins is VERY nice though, no corner balancing, no minor ride height adjustment, no rake settings, no preload, no dampening changes, no spring rates to mess with. Just pick a spring, toss it on the bilstein on the desired perch and go. VERY simple but it works VERY well. I found having fully adjustable coilovers to be a major PITA to get it "perfect".

Last edited:
All this just cost more money$$$$ Now this is a GREAT PRICE Just heat the springs with the good old red wrench and watch how low you can get that balling ride CHEAP :biggrin::wink:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gmYR2SqUt4M&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gmYR2SqUt4M&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

OMG! Thats got to be the stupidest thing I have seen in a LONG time!

The D2 I have on my car and they work very good better then bilstein that i had before you must to work a lot on it to find the good balance but then you a products like tein
I use the car also in a track

Andrea

If the OP has a particular application/goal in mind coilovers would be worth considering. Since we're not sure why the OP needs coilovers my (and others') advice is to go the cheapest and most hassle-free route possible which is Bilsteins with OEM or Dali springs.

There is simply no need for coilovers unless one is looking for something that only coilovers can provide.

Since your car is tracked your needs may necessitate coilovers but we're not sure if that's the case with the OP.

Your statement that the D2 coilovers are "better" than Bilsteins shocks on OEM/Dali springs is subjective. There is no coilover setup I am aware of that will provide a superior ride than OEM with the same level of performance or better. If the OEM comfort level is what's desired with no real demand for increased performance there simply is no point to buying coilovers instead of Bilsteins.

I dont track my car, i am mainly lowering it for cosmetic purposes because the gap in between my tires and fender are 3.0 in the front and 2.5 in the rear, so I wanted it lower than the 7/8 that the bilsteins give on lower perch. I was hoping to get about a inch or so gap between them.

DON'T GET MEGAN RACING PRODUCTS!!! some of their stuff is okay, but most of it is cr@p. suspension is very important, so don't mess around with that. i don't have experience with D2. I've ridden in a car with tein ra and flex. IMO, pretty good. i'm currently running buddy club racing specs. LOVE THEM!!! I only know of 2 other people who are running them on their NSX. i believe they're 10K in front and 12K in rear. Friends don't let friends buy megan parts, or rota's :tongue:.

I dont track my car, i am mainly lowering it for cosmetic purposes because the gap in between my tires and fender are 3.0 in the front and 2.5 in the rear, so I wanted it lower than the 7/8 that the bilsteins give on lower perch. I was hoping to get about a inch or so gap between them.

If this is the case then I would repeat my recommendation of the Bilstein/Dali spring combo. The 1.25" drop is lower than the .875" the Bilsteins will give you and the Dali springs are excellent and quite comparable to OEM in terms of comfort and can be a little crisper in the turns than the OEM springs. The quality is excellent and the price is very good. I would most defintely recommend them over any Eibach spring including the Eibach Pro (which also drops 1.25").

In case you do want to go more aggressive I wouldn't put a spring with a greater rate than the Dali over a out-of-the-box Bilstein. IOW I would not use a Zanardi or Tanabe (or any other higher-rate) spring with a Bilstein or Koni unless the shock has been custom valved for that specific spring rate (which Koni can do for you; not sure about Bilstein).

DON'T GET MEGAN RACING PRODUCTS!!! some of their stuff is okay, but most of it is cr@p. suspension is very important, so don't mess around with that. i don't have experience with D2. I've ridden in a car with tein ra and flex. IMO, pretty good. i'm currently running buddy club racing specs. LOVE THEM!!! I only know of 2 other people who are running them on their NSX. i believe they're 10K in front and 12K in rear. Friends don't let friends buy megan parts, or rota's :tongue:.

I've never heard of Megan Racing but after going to their site I'm very leery. The NSX suspensions they offer are for 1991-1999 NSXs :rolleyes: and their prices aren't than great. Clearly they are not NSX experts and I don't buy any products from anyone who isn't.

Looks like they simply alter whatever product they sell to fit the NSX with no specific or independent testing or development for the cars they offer parts for at least not the NSX. I'd stay away simply based on that website.

if you do get tein flex, get the mono flex, the normal one is bad!
the basic flex is like getting D2 or megan!
ask me how i know!
i have had many coilovers before! megan, tein flex, mono flex, Zeal, i like my Zeal the best! tein is not bad, but you have to get the ones at make in Japan, the flex is made in taiwan or china!
but every zeal is made in japan!!!

Back