• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Coilovers with close to atock feel

Coilovers with close to Stock feel

Any opinion on coilovers closest to a stock feel , or better a yet with 2 settings one settimg with stock and a 2nd setting firmer

Last edited:
from what I hear the KW is well liked by most...do a search for testimonials.

We have the KW V3's on the turbo NSX and they can be dialed-in to ride similar to stock feeling, at the softer end of the adjustment range.

I also have the KW V3 and I like the ride quality in softer settings, please keep in mind that they are known to make noises after just a few thousand miles. Bilsteins could also be a good option if they still make them.

Bilsteins with the stock springs ride only a little firmer than the OEM units, and on the lower spring perch drops the car just enough to lose the 4X4 look.

Our KW V3's have been on for a few years and still seem to be just as quiet as ever, but honestly that could be being masked by the stuuuuupid loud exhaust on that car ;-P

Folks can weigh in but here's my contribution... starting with the cheapest to the most expensive in a "street" series. I'm not considering race level equipment here which is far above $5k for a set. BTW.. the cost figures are what I recall. It's been a while so do your own due diligence. Do a search here on prime for further reviews on each.

Brand: Bilstein HD
Cost: $700-900
Adjustable: NO
Description: OEM shock replacement. Use your stock springs or other traditional lowering springs. These are firmer than stock. Some might say on the harsher side but some think they are comfortable enough given the price.

Brand: Koni Yellow
Cost: $1000?
Adjustable: 3 rebound settings
Description: OEM shock replacement. For some reason not the most popular on the NSX. Not sure if they still make these.

Brand: BC Racing
Cost: $1000
Adjustable: Height and Rebound/Comp 1-way
Description: Not worth the money IMO but many opinions on here for you to search. Overall suspension travel is minimal.

Brand: KW V3
Cost: $2300-2500
Adjustable: Height and 2-way Rebound and Compression
Description: Most popular because of value for performance. Not the best but fits 80% of most driver's needs. Good value.

Brand: JRZ RS Pro (standard RS is cheaper)
Cost: $3500-5000
Adjustable: Height and 2-way Rebound and Compression with external reservoir
Description: Arguably the top end of the street oriented, semi-race ready dampers. More range than the KW and with more precise valving. So can be as composed as a Cadillac or firm but compliant like a Ferrari in Race mode.

JIMHO

Last edited:
Folks can weigh in but here's my contribution... starting with the cheapest to the most expensive in a "street" series. I'm not considering race level equipment here which is far above $5k for a set. BTW.. the cost figures are what I recall. It's been a while so do your own due diligence. Do a search here on prime for further reviews on each.

Brand: KW V3
Cost: $2300-2500
Adjustable: Height and 2-way Rebound and Compression
Description: Most popular because of value for performance. Not the best but fits 80% of most driver's needs. Good value.

Brand: JRZ RS Pro (standard RS is cheaper)
Cost: $3500-5000
Adjustable: Height and 2-way Rebound and Compression with external reservoir
Description: Arguably the top end of the street oriented, semi-race ready dampers. More range than the KW. So can be as composed as a Cadillac or stiff like a Ferrari in Race mode.

JIMHO

really these are the only options if you want some performance. RYU have you ever had the opportunity to weigh your JRZ's vs the KW is there much difference between the two

It's much lighter but don't have exact weights. KW has a stainless steel body. JRZ is full aluminum.
yeah it's why I was asking, the weight from an OEM shock to a KW was significant KW to a JRZ wont be as much but still curious

The only struggle I have (as same with OP) is that damping sensations are so subjective. It's like the eternal curse of most new owners. There's no easy way to quantify performance of dampers and so many variables that opinions tend to come off as heresay.

The best cars I've ever driven to balance both street and track are the McLaren variants. The hydraulic system is genius.

I keep going back and forth with Ohlins DFV and what Penske can do for me. Without having driven a DFV-equipped vehicle, I think the DFV would be my best bet for the street, but I know the Penskes would be far superior on the track....

The best cars I've ever driven to balance both street and track are the McLaren variants. The hydraulic system is genius.

I keep going back and forth with Ohlins DFV and what Penske can do for me. Without having driven a DFV-equipped vehicle, I think the DFV would be my best bet for the street, but I know the Penskes would be far superior on the track....

Ohlins DFV with a long stroke rear (check out sakebombgarage.com) is the way to go. Custom valving and any spring rates you want. Smoother than OEM and much more controlled with zero harshness.

This thread is timely. I have Bilsteins on lower perch and stock springs. I chose them as a starter suspension to use as I was learning about my car. I really like them! Just a little firmer than stock, perfect for bad Cleveland roads, and quite decent on the track. However, with three track sessions behind me during my ownership, it’s time to move to a mature suspension that I can adjust for street and track sessions. Will likely end up with KW V3s as they seem to be best bang for the buck.

Thanks for all the opinions, they are so helpful.

This thread is timely. I have Bilsteins on lower perch and stock springs. I chose them as a starter suspension to use as I was learning about my car. I really like them! Just a little firmer than stock, perfect for bad Cleveland roads, and quite decent on the track. However, with three track sessions behind me during my ownership, it’s time to move to a mature suspension that I can adjust for street and track sessions. Will likely end up with KW V3s as they seem to be best bang for the buck.

There is an great deal on a set of JRZs for about the same price of new V3s here in the classifieds. Just FYI.

The Prime member who sold me this car has a set ov KW's that I didn't buy. I believe they were close to new if anyones interested i'm sure the price is good.

Thanks. Sounds like some excellent choices, and I look forward to hearing how much better these are than the bilstein/zanardi combo.

The MCS setup is going to be a night and day difference to the Bilstein / Zanardi combo. That I already know. This thing is going to be the bomb (do people say that anymore?) Many track days in my future.

Last edited:
I have to say the difference when I switched from the koni/zanardi combo to the type R (which your spring rates are similar to) was very noticeable.

I have to say the difference when I switched from the koni/zanardi combo to the type R (which your spring rates are similar to) was very noticeable.
[MENTION=4282]docjohn[/MENTION] - we recently dynoed a set of NA2 Type R Showas and it's not the spring rate (as I run nearly the same rates on my JRZs) but the rebound was off the charts. Compression was quite firm too but within reason.

I am in the process of installing MCS 2-way dampers with external reservoirs and Eibach race springs on my 1994. The goal is a more compliant street ride (compared to my existing Bilsteins / Zanardis) with a firmer profile for track days. I'll post my impressions once the project is complete.

For those of you who are not familiar with MCS, it was started by Jerome van Gool and Lex Carson. Jerome was the "J" in JRZ shocks. After selling his interests he formed Moton. Lex Carson was involved with both sales and technical roles at Moton. When AST bought Moton both Jerome and Lex went on to start Motion Control Suspension (MCS).
That's a great business model! In the world of fly by night dampers and infinite product tiers it seems they've found a winning money making formula. Good for them.

What are those puppies going to cost once released?

That's a great business model! In the world of fly by night dampers and infinite product tiers it seems they've found a winning money making formula. Good for them.

What are those puppies going to cost once released?

That was, in fact, one of the reasons I didn't go with them. Who knows how long they will be in business for?

Also, costs for the NSX are listed on the MCS webpage depending what setup you want. They seem reasonable. At least they were five years ago when I looked into them.

[MENTION=4282]docjohn[/MENTION] - we recently dynoed a set of NA2 Type R Showas and it's not the spring rate (as I run nearly the same rates on my JRZs) but the rebound was off the charts. Compression was quite firm too but within reason.

thanks, makes sense they don't like rough roads.

Who knows how long they will be in business for?

Are you referring to MCS? They've been in business since 2011. Jerome has over 26 years in the industry and Lex has over 24. They manufacturer in the US (Georgia) and unlike some other damper manufacturers, MCS's repair facility is housed with manufacturing which makes for quick (and hassle-free) rebuilds, repairs, re-valves, etc.

I suspect they will be in business for a long time. If you are considering new dampers, these guys should be on the top of your list, especially if you track your car or race competitively.

Here is a link to a recent podcast by the Cars Yeah guys with Jerome.

http://traffic.libsyn.com/carsyeah/Jerome_van_Gool_Final.mp3

https://www.facebook.com/MotionControlSuspension/

Last edited:
Back