• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Comparo: M3 vs NSX

Food for thought:

Ring Times-

<TABLE style="FONT-SIZE: 90%" id=sortable_table_id_0 class="wikitable sortable"><TBODY><TR><TD>7:50</TD><TD>BMW M3 CSL</TD><TD>Horst von Saurma</TD><TD></TD><TD>Sport Auto (08/2003)</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE style="FONT-SIZE: 90%" id=sortable_table_id_0 class="wikitable sortable"><TBODY><TR><TD>7:56</TD><TD>Honda NSX-R (NA2)</TD><TD>Motoharu Kurosawa</TD><TD></TD><TD>Best Motoring (08/2002), No Airbags, No ESC, No Spare tire</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

A substantial portion of the improvements of the E46 M3 CSL laptimes vs the regular E46 M3 was related to the R-compound tires (Michelin Pilot Sport Cup) that were designed specifically for the M3 CSL.

BTW: I have owned 2 E46 M3's (6 speed and a SMG) and NA2 NSX, the NSX and the E46 are very different cars even if the performance numbers look the same, the handling characteristics/dynamics are inherently different. The E46 M3 is a F/R car the NSX is a M/R car, they do not feel the same.

Drive a well kept NSX at speed and everything will become clear quickly.

P.S. Awesome M3 CSL replica that you have :biggrin:, hope you can pick up a NSX to keep your M3 company :cool:

A substantial portion of the improvements of the E46 M3 CSL laptimes vs the regular E46 M3 was related to the R-compound tires (Michelin Pilot Sport Cup) that were designed specifically for the M3 CSL.

BTW: I have owned 2 E46 M3's (6 speed and a SMG) and NA2 NSX, the NSX and the E46 are very different cars even if the performance numbers look the same, the handling characteristics/dynamics are inherently different. The E46 M3 is a F/R car the NSX is a M/R car, they do not feel the same.

Drive a well kept NSX at speed and everything will become clear quickly.

P.S. Awesome M3 CSL replica that you have :biggrin:, hope you can pick up a NSX to keep your M3 company :cool:

I do agree the tires helped a lot but so did the extra HP, lighter weight, better suspension and steering ratio that was developed for the E46 M3 CSL.

My objective was never to state they were similar in driving characteristics, just that the M3 is no slouch.

Thank you for the compliments. Sadly I sold my M3 when I went to grad school a couple of years ago. :frown: Its ok, lookin forward to finding a NSX.

Hopefully I wont get flammed for this but Best Motoring is biased.

Dude why do you BS so much? $120k in mods on your M3? Gimme a break.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=199607

Acceleration-

E46M3 > NA1
E46M3 = NA2

• The weight advantage of the NSX helps a lot. If a skilled driver were to drag both, an NA2 NSX would hold a higher trap speed (i think), correct me if I am wrong.
  • I once ran a NA2 NSX (I started off a car length behind, playing catch-up) and by the time I was in 3rd, my front bumper was at mid-panel of the NSX. We shut it down soon after to make a right turn.
Handling-

Hmmm, maybe my NSX was made on a Weds and the 2 E46 M3 were made on Monday or Friday.

We were dead even for the most part to the point until we shut it off at 120MPH.

Of course I have the NA2 headers, CB and K&N replacement filter at the time.

The NA1 is lighter than a NA2 with targa. I suspect that the NA2 HP increases is mostly attributed to the headers than the extra .2 displacement. The extra displacement is where i see the increase in TQ.

Larger and newer tire tech does help it posts some nice acceleration numbers for the NA2.

Comparison ?
Sure.
The M3 is/was a steel sedan.
The NSX is/was an aluminum revolution.

The Carbon Fibre roof of the current M3 is very market savvy. Attached to the steel sedan body. Racy stylin.

I disagree that the exterior styling of any current existing M3, especially the proportions can come close to the NSX. As far as interior, the M3 does have the better interior as far as moderness and tech gadgets. The dash/gauges play a big role. I do like the NSX seats better tho. BMW likes to razzle and dazzle people with fancy gadgets (cupholders) and gimmicks with an extra-complicated console. It generally works, but BMW over-designs their button layouts and it just looks tacky when you see a pletora of square buttons to perform all of these functions.

Take it how you want it, the spartan but elegant NSX interior is straight to the point and everything flows much better in the sense of less is more. The outdated illumination is really where they could have updated the NSX easily and did not do a good job updating. And of course, OH knoes, the vinyl interior lol. Still well stitched and put together than most modern cars today with much fancier materials...

It's like what everyone said, depends on how you intend on using the car. The truth of the matter is that the M3 is an upstage Sti/EVO, as in it's a boxy car that is comfortable to drive and has good power. You take a body of mass produced saloon and throw some nice suspension and a beefed up engine in it. The NSX made its own class by becoming a maintainable and driveable exotic. The 90's R8 lol. I and many other daily drive the NSX, because in fact it is very comfortable, reliable and driveable.

Like everyone said, you can't compare the two. People get biased because they own cars, drive them for a while and become attached. I've own several different cars, even for someone as young as myself, but I never become so attached to start making biased remarks as a saloon looking better than an exotic coupe. Now if you want to start comparing timeless beauties that sold a decent amount, the Z32 300ZX will probably garner a lot of attention. This car did not really get updated much either for over a decade, infact the FD Rx7 did not either.

It actually says something that when you have a car go for about a decade without much changing to the car because it works so well. It's when you see a car changing every few years, that you begin to wonder if the team is questioning their design.

In conclusion, M3 is form follows function (function>form), a compromised function over looks vehicle. The NSX is form=function, a perfect balance of beauty and function, where everything is not justified by function nor is it there to just look pretty...

M3 = Sports sedan

NSX = Sports car

They are two completely different animals. Look at what you're looking for in a car and then go from there. Both are fantastic vehicles, fun to drive, but offer completely different experiences. I wouldn't say one is better than the other, just different.

Since this forum is biased towards NSXs, the majority of the responses reflect that. It is interesting to note that the M3 has a richer racing herritage than the NSX.

Back