• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Comparo: M3 vs NSX

Ozone alignment makes a HUGE difference. This car must be aligned properly. It was night and day the way my changed behavior with a proper alignment.

If you want to add chassis bars it is a good thing, I would do the STMPO front bar before the Type R. I have both, but the STMPO is a better piece IMO. The R sway bar will make the car lean a lot less, but it adds a bit of understeer. That's safe, but at some point if you race/track the car and become experienced you will want it more neutral. But that is way advanced. For now it will just make the car feel as if it handles a lot better.

If there are grooves in the highway, any car with wide tires will tend to track them. This is normal. The NSX is actually one of the best sports cars I have had in NOT doing this, which makes me think you have alignment issues or an issue with tires or suspension. Still, an NSX will track grooves more than a Camry will. I hope you know that is normal to a small amount.

Liquid -- one of the reasons my car feels less planted or stable is this: when I'm changing lanes, it feels like the car is stuck in a groove on the road which quickly, almost violently shifts the car laterally. Not sure if it there is really a groove or not but it makes it feel less stable. Could this be due to tires or suspension? It doesn't happen that often but has somewhat decreased my confidence.

I agree with Billy. Sounds more like an alignment/tire issue. I would check and make sure you've got OEM specs on rear toe ( a little toe-in ), but that's just me.

These make night and day differences in what you're referencing.

Last edited:
E46 M3 is my favorite of the M3 line, as is the pre '02 NSX. Any complaints about elements of either car looking dated bounce off me cause I haven't been too fond of current trends in car design (including most of BMW's recent offerings). Comparing the looks of a sporty sedan/coupe to an exotic looking sports car seems ridiculous. I don't think anything rivals the E46 M3 for looks in its category, but the NSX is in a different league. I have only briefly driven an E46 M3 (with SMG), so I can't really comment on how it compares to the NSXperience.

I personally would love to own both, but I have already voted which way I would go if I could only own one (which is indeed the case). I have heard a lot of horror stories regarding BMW reliability from owners (that said, the friends I have who own E46 M3s haven't really had any issues).

there is no comparison- different cars. m3 is fast but it is still a 4-door sedan.

E46 M3 is my favorite of the M3 line, as is the pre '02 NSX.......

+1

this is what the later model NSX and M3 reminds me of:

red-eyed-tree-frog.jpg

fly.jpg

My friend has an E46 M3 w/ a Stage 3 Dinan tune and is putting down some 460 hp. The car is a monster and a blast to drive on the track (although it was raining off and on so I had to be a bit tenetive w/ it). That said, I much prefer the driving position and the overall feel of the NSX even if mine is woefully under-powered by comparison. The average person hardly notices an M3 if that makes a difference to you...

I agree w/ akira re recent styling trends except E30 is my favorite M3 and '02 plus is my favorite NSX...
I saw a new 370Z last weekend, what a pig! Looks like all the Asain cars are getting fatter.

Why do we always compare these cars? Compare a NSX to a Cayman S. that is a fair comparison.

Bridgestone Potenza 17's: F 215/40, R 255/40

As for suspension, I don't know. I think the car is a bit lowered. The dealership I got it from didn't know. I tracked down the PO on Prime and he didn't know either (only had it for a short time, and he was 2nd owner). I need to solve this mystery soon.
What model potenza?

What is your alignment? Like everyone says, the alignment will greatly affect the handling, response, balance, and 'tracking' of the car.

If you want to add chassis bars it is a good thing, I would do the STMPO front bar before the Type R. I have both, but the STMPO is a better piece IMO. The R sway bar will make the car lean a lot less, but it adds a bit of understeer. That's safe, but at some point if you race/track the car and become experienced you will want it more neutral. But that is way advanced. For now it will just make the car feel as if it handles a lot better
Yes and no. For cars with stock spring rates and coilovers that also have heavier rates in the rear (and even most that have heavier rates in the front) - depending on tire size, the NSX-R front bar is a pretty good positive that, while reducing roll and reducing front grip slightly, it improves the balance and response of the car. It won't make the car understeer like a pig.

+1 on STMPO front chassis bar and rear strut/engine brace - which greatly helps improve overall ridgidity of targa top cars.
My friend has an E46 M3 w/ a Stage 3 Dinan tune and is putting down some 460 hp. The car is a monster and a blast to drive on the track (although it was raining off and on so I had to be a bit tenetive w/ it).
460 seems a bit optimistic for their Stage 3 (with high flow mass air filter).

I saw a new 370Z last weekend, what a pig! Looks like all the Asain cars are getting fatter.
The 370 has a shorter wheelbase and overhangs than the 350. I would say its between the size of an S2000 and 350Z.

OP as I scanned your responses I would reiterate the need to know your alignment,figure out what suspension you have, and lastly how much tread you have on your tires.If your car is lowered and rear camber is maxed out,ie top of tire is tilted inboard you could be corded or near so on the hard to see inner bead and the outer tire may look ok.All these things can contribute to squirly stability.

I did drive a friends E92 4dr. Really fun to drive. The V8 was a blast and sounded great even through stock exhaust.

I agree w/ akira re recent styling trends except E30 is my favorite M3 and '02 plus is my favorite NSX...

it maybe fatter but the base 370z is still 150lbs lighter than the 350z. the 370z is wider but shorter.

The tires are Potenza REO40s, and they did look a bit worn (checked them in the dark) but have some tread left. I will get an alignment soon--unforutnately LB is pretty far away, so I'll take it to the dealer. Is there something special about the NSX alignment or should the techs know? Hopefully this solves the problem, and go for the upgrades after I see the effects of this.

I was parked next to a black M3 at work today, and I agree the NSX is far more stunning. I think I was basing my looks off of a Laguna Seca Blue M3, which is a very exotic paint color. For those that have seen it, it totally changes the look of the car. In any other paints, NSX really blows it away in looks. Anyways, that's quite a subjective point.

I own both the E46 SMG vert and a NA1 NSX, both are modded.

I love the M3 but there's no question which car is the alpha male...NSX FTW.

I have to agree with Vegas Speed or Ryland on this - Why would anyone compare the M3 to an NSX as he said a much fairer comparo is the Cayman or Cayman S. Probably because they are a lot more expensive and not many have both NSX and Cayman. The Cayman S is about as much as a stripped 911 and you could compare that too for that matter it's just not a 2 seater like the Cayman.

There just aren't that many cars you can compare other than a Z or maybe the 2 seater Bimmer - anyone have those cars?

NSX is still a match for even the Bimmer with more HP. Amazing and some think that the NSX is old and done for. HA!

In this case the OP has and CAN compare because he owns both, so, we should be glad we have such nice point of view from a a person that actually owns both cars.

Personally I really would love to own an M3 convertible so I can take wife and kids for a drive top down .. and leave the more spirited drive for me :D

Oscar

I recently parted with my 02 NSX for an 09 M3. I definitely feel like comparing the two cars is difficult and actually feel like it is tough to do any NSX vs. XXX car comparisons because for me the NSX is very unique. I had a write made on my comparison so far, but lost it and haven't had time to write it again.

But just sticking an add on to this M3 thread with the current generation, I absolutely love it. The NSX wins hands down in the looks dept. Head turner at every corner and tons of compliments, versus the M3 just blends in with the other 230438 BMW's on the road. Don't consider myself a BMW person, but do consider myself an M3 person if that makes sense. I think the NSX will look great 20 years from now where as the M3 will be just another 20 year old looking BMW. I always enjoyed getting together with other NSXers but have zero desire to do the same with other BMW owners, just doesn't seem like it would be as fun!

Aside from the looks I probably love everything better about the M3, but tough to compare outdated technology of my NSX to this new tech 09 M3 so for me I wont try to break it down for now.

Neither one was a daily drive for me, but if I was going for the DD it would definitely be the M3 in it's current state. While I always did like the previous generation M3s, I don't think I would have ever pulled the trigger on one, but in the current form in my price point it was actually the only other car that interested me enough to part with my NSX.

Bottom line, you can't lose for either car.

Let’s see now, I bought my 2002 e46 m3 in late 2001 as a 2002 model. After 8 years of ownership, 6 Bimmerfest events in Santa Barbara and spent over $120k on the car all said and done modding it, I can tell you the e46 m3 is probably the best mix of space, chassis, speed, handling and daily use-ability!

But to compare the m3 to the NSX is like the other age old comparison with the s2000 / NSX. We can talk about it till the cows come home and everyone will have different opinions.

Looks is always subjective so I won’t say much here except the e46 m3 styling and the NSX are both timeless in their own right. The main question for any car owner is how you plan to use the car. If you can only own one car and have to daily drive it, the e46 m3 is the perfect mix of everything any normal person needs.

People use the word timeless to describe the NSX and after waiting 15 years to get mine, I have to agree it’s one of the few cars that has the sex appeal 15 years after it got off the assembly line. Not many cars I want to own that is over 10+ years old besides vintage cars which I can’t afford anyways so won’t go there.

I have lotsa fond memories of the e46 m3 on road trips, grocery shopping and yes even packing 5 passengers plus me for a short road trip. The NSX can only be enjoyed by two people which kinda takes away a lot of the fun. I love my NSX but don’t get to enjoy it that often so it always stays in the garage, not sure if that makes it more or less fun………..

Here’s some shots of both of my babies:

This picture really shows the size difference and stance!
sidecomparo.jpg

rearaerial.jpg

buttshots.jpg

Let’s see now, I bought my 2002 e46 m3 in late 2001 as a 2002 model. After 8 years of ownership, 6 Bimmerfest events in Santa Barbara and spent over $120k on the car all said and done modding it, I can tell you the e46 m3 is probably the best mix of space, chassis, speed, handling and daily use-ability!

But to compare the m3 to the NSX is like the other age old comparison with the s2000 / NSX. We can talk about it till the cows come home and everyone will have different opinions.

Looks is always subjective so I won’t say much here except the e46 m3 styling and the NSX are both timeless in their own right. The main question for any car owner is how you plan to use the car. If you can only own one car and have to daily drive it, the e46 m3 is the perfect mix of everything any normal person needs.

People use the word timeless to describe the NSX and after waiting 15 years to get mine, I have to agree it’s one of the few cars that has the sex appeal 15 years after it got off the assembly line. Not many cars I want to own that is over 10+ years old besides vintage cars which I can’t afford anyways so won’t go there.

I have lotsa fond memories of the e46 m3 on road trips, grocery shopping and yes even packing 5 passengers plus me for a short road trip. The NSX can only be enjoyed by two people which kinda takes away a lot of the fun. I love my NSX but don’t get to enjoy it that often so it always stays in the garage, not sure if that makes it more or less fun………..

Here’s some shots of both of my babies:

This picture really shows the size difference and stance!
sidecomparo.jpg

rearaerial.jpg

buttshots.jpg

Sweet!

s4play--sick rides. I love your M (minus the rear windshield spoiler). What kind of rims are those?

Also, I didn't compare the NSX to the Cayman S because I've never driven one, and don't know much about it.

s4play--sick rides. I love your M (minus the rear windshield spoiler). What kind of rims are those?

Also, I didn't compare the NSX to the Cayman S because I've never driven one, and don't know much about it.

thanks - it seems a lot of people didn't like my m3 roof spoiler but I love it so that's all that matters :)

I've driven the Cayman S many many times over the years and it has yet to impress me once....it's very "norm" feeling to me despite what magazines say and I would buy an M3 over the Cayman anyday. My 2 cents is if you are going to get a Cayman, might as well just get the 997. The e46 m3 was easily on par with the Cayman S in terms of fun and driving excitement. The new e92 m3 just kills the Cayman S in all categories.

thanks - it seems a lot of people didn't like my m3 roof spoiler but I love it so that's all that matters :)

Amen brutha! End of the day it was your money:biggrin:

Dude why do you BS so much? $120k in mods on your M3? Gimme a break.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=199607

As for the topic at hand, I would love to make valid comparisons but seein as how I have only owned an M3 and not the NSX, this is just some food for thought.

Acceleration-

E46M3 > NA1
E46M3 = NA2

• The weight advantage of the NSX helps a lot. If a skilled driver were to drag both, an NA2 NSX would hold a higher trap speed (i think), correct me if I am wrong.
  • I once ran a NA2 NSX (I started off a car length behind, playing catch-up) and by the time I was in 3rd, my front bumper was at mid-panel of the NSX. We shut it down soon after to make a right turn.
Handling-

I have yet to drive a NSX so I can't speak on it but the M3 was very predictable. I had Tein coil-overs in mine and loved the improvement. The rear would step out from time to time but it was always very managable.

Seats-

I sat in a Prime members NSX which had OEM NSX-R seats and loved them, seemed very similar to the M3 CSL seats which we attempt to import, but that is not whats up for discussion. The M3 seats were nice but after a while, my lower back would begin to bug me a little. I am 6'3, so maybe that had something to do with it...

Transmission-

I had a SMG equipped M3 and found it to be very fun to drive. I can only really describe it like getting kicked in the back every time you shifted gears during WOT. That sudden kick or surge of speed was less aparent when shifting to higher gears. On the track it was extremely helpful as well.

Style/Looks-

I will attempt to be as unbiased as possible but for those who say they saw the M3 as a sedan or reference it as being a sedan need to keep in mind the E30 and E46 generations never saw a 4-door M3 version.

I really do love the look of a NA2 NSX-R. I also loved the look of a M3 CSL as well (modded my M3 to look exactly like the CSL and would mod an NSX to look just like the NSX-R, when I get one) and if I were to compare the two, I really cant pick a favorite because both cars (aesthetically) produce different, yet similar emotional reactions. That being, get in, buckle up, this is going to be the ride of your life. As evidence, I submit the following pictures:

nsx-r%20vs%20m3%20csl%20%2818%29.jpg

nsx-rvsm3csl41_JPG.jpg

nsx-rvsm3csl42_JPG.jpg

nsx-rvsm3csl28_jpg.jpg

nsx-rvsm3csl22_jpg.jpg

Food for thought:

Ring Times-

<TABLE style="FONT-SIZE: 90%" id=sortable_table_id_0 class="wikitable sortable"><TBODY><TR><TD>7:50</TD><TD>BMW M3 CSL</TD><TD>Horst von Saurma</TD><TD></TD><TD>Sport Auto (08/2003)</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE style="FONT-SIZE: 90%" id=sortable_table_id_0 class="wikitable sortable"><TBODY><TR><TD>7:56</TD><TD>Honda NSX-R (NA2)</TD><TD>Motoharu Kurosawa</TD><TD></TD><TD>Best Motoring (08/2002), No Airbags, No ESC, No Spare tire</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Food for thought:

Ring Times-

<TABLE style="FONT-SIZE: 90%" id=sortable_table_id_0 class="wikitable sortable"><TBODY><TR><TD>7:50</TD><TD>BMW M3 CSL</TD><TD>Horst von Saurma</TD><TD></TD><TD>Sport Auto (08/2003)</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE style="FONT-SIZE: 90%" id=sortable_table_id_0 class="wikitable sortable"><TBODY><TR><TD>7:56</TD><TD>Honda NSX-R (NA2)</TD><TD>Motoharu Kurosawa</TD><TD></TD><TD>Best Motoring (08/2002), No Airbags, No ESC, No Spare tire</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Yeah have to say this is. That is an incredibly fast time and I would love to these two duke it out on the track. Can't wait to see what the new M3 CSL can do.

Back