• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

COmptech exhaust- OPINIONS!

Looking at a comptech exhaust, please answer any or all of the following!

How much louder than oem?

What does the exhaust sound like?
- at idle
- cruising and
- at wot ( headers will be fitted also)

Where would it relate on the sos exhaust comparasin page?

WHat is quality like?

It seems a simple construction- good power gains?

How does it compare within the above parameters with other high market exhaust systems? taitec etc etc

Will prob go sos sc in future.....don't know if that should affect exxhaust choice..?

THank you for your consideration, and any and all time and effort invested!

Jamie

A CT is noticably louder than a stock exhaust. You don't hear it at idle like many other exhausts on the NSX too. While cruising it sounds raspy. If you go beyond 6000 rpm it's barking. I would not consider it a silent exhaust but also not as loud as a Taitec. The quality is good. As for performance you can feel it to be a little bit less restricted than OEM but the power gain is very, very small. Header will let you feel a certain power gain, not the exhaust mainly. I'd rate it louder than SOS states on their exhaust comparison sheet. :) It also got louder over the short time I had it. My friend now has it and it was not falling off since. :)

A CT is noticably louder than a stock exhaust. ... I'd rate it louder than SOS states on their exhaust comparison sheet.

Do you know whether the Comptech muffler you had was the earlier design or the later design? I've been looking at a Comptech muffler as well, but the videos you posted in 2006 made me think that whichever version you mounted is a bit too loud for my taste. I don't know when the design changed but if you had the earlier version, maybe the current version is more discreet.

My freind had one on his 2002 + and it was very mellow. In fact it was so mellow he wanted replace it with something else.

Do you know whether the Comptech muffler you had was the earlier design or the later design? I've been looking at a Comptech muffler as well, but the videos you posted in 2006 made me think that whichever version you mounted is a bit too loud for my taste. I don't know when the design changed but if you had the earlier version, maybe the current version is more discreet.

I had the later/actual design, one of those SOS is selling at the moment. It has rounder edges at the tips. In the video I had a Taitec header, stock cats, CT exhaust and Cantrell AIS (which didn't add much compared to the exhaust). Most of the sound difference was the exhaust and it was that loud I HAD (implicitely externally forced) to dismount it. With the Taitec and Remus, no AIS, it's still slightly louder than allowed here I think but not by very much. The Taitec header contributed quite a lot as on my friend's car with NA1 header it's not that brutal loud as it was on mine. But it's still loud enough.

But the main point is. US is US and Europe is Europe. Policemen in Europe don't stop you to tell you that they love the sound of the exhaust during downshifts like someone in the US once said.
For example: A Corvette sold in Europe has a that much silent exhaust, nobody in the US would buy the whole car. :wink:

Second, it's all about preferences. :wink:

Most descriptions of the CT exhaust put it at about 10% louder than stock. Definitely one of the quietest quality aftermarket exhaust options. As others mentioned the main complaint is that it's not loud enough.

Most descriptions of the CT exhaust put it at about 10% louder than stock. Definitely one of the quietest quality aftermarket exhaust options. As others mentioned the main complaint is that it's not loud enough.

It's more than 10% louder over stock outside the cabin.

I have a later version of the Comptech and I think it sounds perfect for the car.
Its matched with an HKS Intake system
I get complements everywhere I go with the sound... not obnoxious or too raspy until it gets into the higher rpms

I dont think I would replace it with anything else at the moment

here is a video of it on my car
will give u an idea
Cold Start just exhaust:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkp_Y7L1CFo

Dyno with exhaust/intake no header:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDAJBJ0xOmc

Last edited:
My freind had one on his 2002 + and it was very mellow. In fact it was so mellow he wanted replace it with something else.

Agreed. Same experience with mine......:frown:

nsx is a supercar, better get some supercar exhaust for it!!
comptech is too low profile.....get something loud!!!

I can not speak to the new design so this may not be helpful to you, but the CT exhaust that I had did not hold up well to FI, so unless a major change has been made in design I would want to find out how the new design is holding up to the added pressure and heat of FI.

The main problem I saw was the center canister would develope a rattle from some of the internal baffles comming loose. I have heard of this issue from a couple of other post and have seen it personally on my car and another one in town as well.

This may not be an issue with the new design, I am not really sure what they changed. The older units were slightly louder than stock and did have a nice mellow sound on idle.

Dave

Well if you are looking at old used afaik there were two types thicker rolled tips and thinner angle cut tips.Now I don't know if the actual muffler was the same,but both had a different sound.The rolled was mellow kinda like a louder DC sport,the thinner tips had a more brassy tone and were louder more racy.

Not that loud very mellow,i had it for 7 years on my car lastest ct

DSC00473.JPG

Ashik

I had a comptech on my 2002. It is definitely louder then stock, but I thought it was too quiet. Absolutely no drone or anything obnoxious about it.

Agreed. Same experience with mine......:frown:

These guys are right on the money. It sounds nicer than stock but WAY TOO quiet. I had the Comptech latest version. It sounded almost just like the stock exhaust on my 97 NSX.

One day I was leaving my parking lot at work in my 91 NSX (with the comptech exhaust, headers, high flow cats) and a bunch of my coworkers were standing there. Another co-worker in his Mustang Cobra had already stopped next to everyone and was reving his engine. It sounded awesome. I pulled up and everyone was yelling for me to rev it up. I did........it was pathetic. You could barely hear it, especially compaired to the Mustang. My NSX was the laughing stock. Everyone was laughing.....even me. I might as well have been in a Prius.

I am now running a Taitec GTLW. It's a beautiful thing. Quiet when you cruise but screams when you're on it.

IMO, Comptech is the perfect exhaust. It sounds loud enough to be greatly noticed but not so loud that you would be annoying. It is quite loud when you step on it. To me the most important aspect of owning an aftermarket exhaust is whether you can live with it in a daily basis as I do drive my NSXs daily. With the GruppeM V2, it was quite fun to drive it around the block scaring the dogs, but it would be tiring to drive it everywhere so loudly and droning on freeways. When I had the ARK, EVERYONE knew I arrived at work and I looked like an obnoxious fool.
Steve

Did your muffler sound like this?

Really hard to tell how loud it is just hearing it on video. Mine had the same throaty sound.

IMO, Comptech is the perfect exhaust. It sounds loud enough to be greatly noticed but not so loud that you would be annoying. It is quite loud when you step on it. To me the most important aspect of owning an aftermarket exhaust is whether you can live with it in a daily basis as I do drive my NSXs daily. With the GruppeM V2, it was quite fun to drive it around the block scaring the dogs, but it would be tiring to drive it everywhere so loudly and droning on freeways. When I had the ARK, EVERYONE knew I arrived at work and I looked like an obnoxious fool.
Steve

Obviously we could debate this subjective topic until the cows come home but it makes me wonder if some of the Comptechs have different packing in the mufflers or if they get louder with age because there is no way in hell anyone would notice my Comptech exhaust. I daily drive my NSX also and the Taitec GTLW has no freeway drone, doesn't scare dogs and the only time it is really "obnoxious" is when you want it to be. I find my self rolling down the windows just so I can hear it more. It is pure music. Plus it passes the the real test.......my wife loves it.

heres my comptech w/ test pipes
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Wvhio_GMSf8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Wvhio_GMSf8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Back