• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Comptech Springs - what struts go well with them?

dxd

Experienced Member
I have Comptech springs in the NSX but with the original struts. It just does not feel right for some reason - I have a feeling the struts cannot handle the stiffer springs. What are others using for struts with their Comptech springs?

I am debating to going back to the original springs with some Bilsteins (what I had and liked on my previous NSX) however if their is a strut that works well with the Comptech springs I may just go that route. Any advice would be much appreciated : )

hold up.....the only comptech spring I know of that is 1000 lbs is part of the pro susp kit which used a special high performance shock..not the ala cart koni yellow.If you have a old pro kit you could get the shock rebuilt.

The Comptech Pro springs have quite high rates - 1002 lb/in (front) and 601 lb/in (rear). Probably overkill for the street and I can only imagine how crappy the ride must be with these springs paired with OEM dampers.

The Comptech Pro springs have quite high rates - 1002 lb/in (front) and 601 lb/in (rear). Probably overkill for the street and I can only imagine how crappy the ride must be with these springs paired with OEM dampers.

They are super stiff but I am not sure if they are the pro springs. Are there markings on the springs to show what they are? Thanks again everyone!

yes but those aren't 1000 lbs..they were made to work with oem/bilstein dampers.

Here are a few photos - two of the front and tow in the rear. I have no idea how to tell which ones these are and if the shocks are the factory ones or upgraded. Thanks again for the help!IMG_2112.jpgIMG_2111.jpgIMG_2109.jpgIMG_2113.jpgIMG_2109.jpgIMG_2111.jpgIMG_2112.jpgIMG_2113.jpg

Here is a picture of the Comptech Pro setup (coilovers). Unlikely that is what you have based on the pictures you posted. I think what you have are the Comptech Sport Springs. These were discontinued some time ago.

View attachment 155122

Last edited:
can you clean up the white label on the shock

The shocks look to be OEM - I checked on EBAY and saw an OEM with the same markings. The question is how do I tell if they are the sport or the pro springs. It is a very stiff ride. Strongly considering coilovers but if I can drop some Bilsteins in there that might just do the trick and save me some money. I just wish it has the marking on it. I definitely did not see "Sport" on there butI also did not see "Pro" on there. A mystery I guess :)

Also looking at the top of the springs it looks like they are squeezed tight and only the bottom part of the spring has some travel left. Not sure if that is the way these are supposed to be - I would imagine something is not right judging by the way it looks. Maybe that is why the ride is so stiff. Might be time for some coilovers and be done with it!

The shocks look to be OEM - I checked on EBAY and saw an OEM with the same markings. The question is how do I tell if they are the sport or the pro springs. It is a very stiff ride.....I can drop some Bilsteins in there that might just do the trick and save me some money....

If you are thinking that changing the shocks to Bilstein hoping the ride will be smoother, you might be disappointed. I have brand new bilstein shocks and the ride is what I consider stiff. I tried them with both OEM springs and H&R springs with similar results. The bilstein setup has a harsh ride at lower speed. It is smoother at higher speeds. Therefore, it's a bumpy ride around town.

In regards to the coils touching, that is normal for aftermarket springs.

The question is how do I tell if they are the sport or the pro springs.

You clearly have a problem with your eyes as I posted a picture of the Comptech Pro setup. The springs used on the Pro setup are made by Eibach and are RED.

Last edited:
I would suggest calling CT Engineering (Comptech), give them the number on your spring (184832) and see if they can provide any more information for you. CT Engineering's phone number is (916) 635-4550.

www.ct-engineering.com

If you are thinking that changing the shocks to Bilstein hoping the ride will be smoother, you might be disappointed. I have brand new bilstein shocks and the ride is what I consider stiff. I tried them with both OEM springs and H&R springs with similar results. The bilstein setup has a harsh ride at lower speed. It is smoother at higher speeds. Therefore, it's a bumpy ride around town.

Thanks for the advice : )

Sorry, but I am going to call BS on that. The coils on my Eibachs don't rest on each other when on the ground. I believe the OP's springs are incorrect for the car (too long). Here are some pictures of my springs both uncompressed and compressed. You'll note that none of the coils are resting on the other. Yes, the gaps between the coils are smaller when sitting on the ground, but that's normal. Coils should not be touching each other.

Compressed
View attachment 155123

Uncompressed
View attachment 155124

Last edited:
Sorry, but I am going to call BS on that. The coils on my Eibachs don't rest on each other when on the ground. I believe the OP's springs are incorrect for the car (too long). Here are some pictures of my springs both uncompressed and compressed. You'll note that none of the coils are resting on the other. Yes, the gaps between the coils are smaller when sitting on the ground, but that's normal. Coils should not be touching each other.

Compressed
View attachment 155123

Uncompressed
View attachment 155124

Yes I did not think that looked correct either. Maybe that is why the ride is a bit harsh. I think it is time for some KW coilovers and be done with it.

hmm should I muddy the waters with progressive vs linear springs:tongue:

hmm should I muddy the waters with progressive vs linear springs:tongue:
Thanks docjohn

mwagner10702 said:
Sorry, but I am going to call BS on that.

Perhaps I should have added some content to my comment.

Here is a quote from the following link https://www.hypercoils.com/tech-tips/linear-vs-progressive-rate-suspension-springs/
The second type of progressive rate suspension springs, the dual-rate spring with two linear rates connected with a rate transition range is a much more sophisticated suspension spring.....These springs are easily identified by having a few closely wound coils at one end and then wider, equal spaced coils at the other end.

The closely wound coils may touch each other under compression.

Last edited:
Sounds like that is what I have on the NSX. It really has almost no body roll and feels like it is on rails BUT it is harsh and noisy when I go over a bump. Kind of makes sense now since the springs are nearly touching at one end of the range. I guess this is a great track set up but the ride is harsh. Do you think I can get the same cornering feel of very little roll with KW coilovers?

for those reading who have not read up on suspension basically you always want the tire in contact with the ground as the car rolls down the road..the springs push up on the mounts and the shock damps the vibration or oscillation of the spring..now the spring shock combo needs a safe distance or range of motion to compress and extend to keep said tire on road over bumps...if the car is lowered too much and the spring gets completely compressed the spring rate is infinity and you skidder off the road...springs too weak to handle spring and the car pogos down the road....

Thanks Doc - you seem to know your stuff - what set up do you have on your NSX? I took some more photos and the springs are super compressed in the front - very little room left for travel - but it handles like crazy in the corners with almost zero body roll which I like - just don't like the hjarshness when going over bump. Wondering if the KW coilover set up will be a good one for my car.

Back