• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Considering an NSX

I currently drive an '04 Volvo S60R 6-speed, and I love the car....BUT I've come to realise that I don't really need a practical car when I don't have a family to tote around. Plus I have plenty of friends with roomier cars if I ever really need to carry something big. I want something sportier, and the NSX has always been my dream car. A daily driver that is very comfortable, very sexy, relatively fuel efficient, and high performance enough to give an M3 or Corvette a good thrashing on a road course sounds too good to be true. I considered taking an NSX for a test drive when I was shopping for the R, but decided against it. I convinced myself I needed practical, and that I'd be too swept away if I drove the NSX to even consider my buttoned-down, practical sports sedan. I gave into the urge to see what a real sports car would be like and test drove a Boxster S...and had a very difficult time going back to the Volvo afterwards. Now after two months and 5,000 miles, I've decided I should at LEAST consider getting the car of my dreams while I have the means (as I'm not super confident in the economy), and before I have a family to worry about.
I'm going to test drive an NSX this weekend (6-speed, of course). I've been looking around on the internet, and there seem to be a lot of good cars available, most notably two Zanardis. How well do their seude seating surfaces hold up compared to leather? This car will be driven on a daily basis, probably until children neccesitate my selling it, and the seats need to be suitably durable. How well do these cars do in the snow with dedicated snow tires? I'm not planning on making any ski trips with the car, but at the very least being able to get home if it starts snowing on me would be nice ;).
I'm looking at '97 and newer cars, the lower the mileage the better. I'd prefer to spend under $55k, but I don't have strict budgetary limitations.
This car (Zanardi #47, VIN JH4NA2121XT000174) really caught my attention: http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...&advcd_on=y&doors=&=&fuel=&color=&cardist=615
That seems like a great deal. Does anyone know if there's anything about the car the seller isn't telling that might justify such an amazing price?
I noticed JH4NA21644T000023 on eBay as well, but I saw the post about it. On the auction it says that cosmetic details can be fixed to make the car right for the next customer as part of the deal, so I'm considering calling them to see what kind of deal they could make with me.
I'm looking forward to my test drive this weekend! NSX Prime has been a great source of helpful information. The FAQ answered pretty much all of my stupid newbie questions in short order.

ChuckV said:

This car (Zanardi #47, VIN JH4NA2121XT000174) really caught my attention: http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...&advcd_on=y&doors=&=&fuel=&color=&cardist=615
That seems like a great deal. Does anyone know if there's anything about the car the seller isn't telling that might justify such an amazing price?
It has been discussed recently here, although not at length. If your serious, get someone to look at it with you. Plenty around that would probably lend an eye.

Get a NSX, and you will be hook.

ChuckV said:
This car will be driven on a daily basis, probably until children neccesitate my selling it,

I've seen that sentiment echoed here before about someone HAS to sell their NSX because of kids, wife, or future plans of family. Just keep the car, budget, consolidate bills, work a little OT, DO SOMETHING to keep the car. Get an NSX you can afford in the first place, a good used one costs no more than a loaded minivan or an average sport utility.

You will thank yourself later AND you will definitely be the coolest dad on the block;)

Well, it'll be a few years (with any luck ;)) before I'm a dad, so hopefully by the time I am one I'll be able to own something nice and practical, and the NSX. Maybe an Elise, those look like they could be fun :p

Test drive a NSX--I don't think you'll be dissappointed.

On the Zanardi: The alcantara(?) seats are nice; really holds you in place when you corner hard. The non-power steering is also nice, unless you parallel park all the time. The Z springs are stiff and are fantastic on smooth roads but on bad roads it can be jarring so you have to consider your daily commute. I personally could not use the X as a daily driver out of parking paranoia.

I'm also single and my logic is like yours: Experience the X before wife and kids. Bachelor's priorities, you know? If you have the means, why not?

You drive a Volvo therefore you deserve a break. Get the NSX. Enjoy life. Volvos are for middle-aged people like me, except I refuse to kowtow!!

zzrman said:
You drive a Volvo therefore you deserve a break. Get the NSX. Enjoy life. Volvos are for middle-aged people like me, except I refuse to kowtow!!
My Volvo isnt THAT stodgy :p
Seriously though, I recomend you test drive an R if you get the chance. They're very impressive cars, especially for the $42k pricetag. Best sport sedan out there IMO.
If I'm impressed with my test on Saturday (which I imagine I will be), I'll start looking into cars in more detail.

ChuckV said:
My Volvo isnt THAT stodgy :p
Seriously though, I recomend you test drive an R if you get the chance. They're very impressive cars, especially for the $42k pricetag. Best sport sedan out there IMO.
If I'm impressed with my test on Saturday (which I imagine I will be), I'll start looking into cars in more detail.

True, a 6 speed S60 is not exactly out of the old Volvo mould (man with pipe, wearing hat, oblivious to the 2 mile queue that has built up behind him as he trundles along at 40MPH) so out of deference to your taking my minor bait in good form I'll do so. My neighbour may be getting one as a company car which will make the task easier.

Back