• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Considering buying this 1991 NSX... what do you think?

I am not sure if I am able to post links so I will post the vin: JH4NA1267MT001904. It is an automatic but I have an STi and M3 which are both manuals so not a dealbreaker for me. Is anyone familiar with this car? I know the automatics don't have the snap ring issue but is there anything else I should be looking for that is NSX specific? Thank you in advance for any input.

Hi Andrew,

A regular, rather expensive service on the NSX is the Timingbelt & Water pump.
Which, according to my service manual says should be replaced every 90,000 miles / 72 months.

Every NSX known to man has bad window regulators and bad speaker amplifiers.
The radiator usually starts to leak around the endtanks, the ugly coolant bottle can leak/crack at the seem, and the rad hoses particularly between the engine and the firewall tend to leak/crack (due to thermal and motion fatigue!).
There is a fan in the cockpit that usually makes a lot of noise.
People tend to go through clutches (a bit of a pricey affair).
Some other electrical gremlins with the main relay/ignition switch/fuel pump resistor. These go bad, and can cause the car to not start.
The valvetrains are very noisey (they sound like sewing machines). Newer springs solve this problem.

All of the above is a matter of when, not if. But they're all known, fixable issues!

These cars are bulletproof (I've got over 120,000 miles, many others have more).
Go for it if the car seems in decent condition! (Don't be scared by the above list).

Oh, and the black NSXs got an extra 10 hp from the factory.

Happy hunting!

Lucas

Automatics are de-tuned to put down less power. I’d buy a manual one as there are usually many for sale.

The valvetrains are very noisey (they sound like sewing machines). Newer springs solve this problem.

Lucas

My exposure to the early dual disc clutch was limited and long ago, so my comments are focused on the later dual mass flywheel - clutch arrangement. Compared to other vehicles I find the NSX clutch engagement point to be narrow and rather close to the end of the pedal travel. This can make for some awkward and embarrassing moments - particularly when starting up on an incline from a stop. To avoid the embarrassment of a stall, my observation is that some owners rev the engine up and then slip the clutch -makes for a fast non stalling start and contributes to fast clutch wear. Smooth lurch free clutch operation on an NSX is a bit of a learned art. But the clutch isn't going to be an issue if the OP buys that specific car - score +1 for the automatic!

I am guessing that the reference to a very noisy valvetrain is a reference to the sticking lost motion assemblies in the valve train and that changing the springs refers to installing the newer less complicated style of LMA that Honda introduced sometime around 1998 - 2000 (???). So the later cars don't have the LMA noise problem and older cars are definitely more prone to the noise problem. However, from my exceedingly limited experience just because the car has the older design is not a guarantee that it will suffer the LMA noise. As far as I am aware, LMA noise is not injurious to the engine. It would be annoying. The replacement LMAs are not exceedingly expensive; but, replacement involves pulling the camshafts so that makes labor kind of $. If you think it needs to be done plan for it when doing the timing belt to save on some labor costs.

To the OP, give consideration that you are talking about buying a car that is 27 years old. It will have age issues and you should plan / budget appropriately for that. A good service record history from previous owners would be a bonus. Absence of a service record history would suggest that you up the budget for the ageing issues.

Another possible up side to the automatic is that the individuals with 'sporting intentions' probably gravitated to the manual transmissions and the automatic cars may have attracted a slightly more sedate driver. The automatic might be in better shape than an equivalent MT car just because it hasn't been thrashed. Sometimes an auto would be nice. If I get stuck in heavy stop and go traffic, the appeal of the 6 spd and NSX clutch start to get really old really quick.

This one, 89,656 miles in Tacoma at Car Pros Kia?

It looks good. The seats have been recovered. Nice color. You will need to get more photos and do a bit of testing.

The automatics drive super nice and very sporty. Very surprising and enjoyable really.

Don't let that old you back. The 1991-1994 NSX can be easlily converted to manual for about $10K-$15K. There will be more NSX's crashed in the future and you can get "the kit". (Converting a RHD is hampered by a lack of used parts, a huge number, if not the majority, of RHD NSX were auto's. Talk to WhrdNSX for your RHD kit. ).

Last edited:
This one, 89,7750 miles in Tacoma at Car Pros Kia?

It looks good. The seats have been recovered. Nice color. You will need to get more photos and do a bit of testing.

The automatics drive super nice and very sporty. Very surprising and enjoyable really.

Don't let that old you back. The 1991-1994 NSX can be easlily converted to manual for about $10K-$15K. There will be more NSX's crashed in the future and you can get "the kit". (Converting a RHD is plagued by a lack of used parts, a huge number, if not the majority, of RHD NSX were auto's).

Hi, apologize if hijacking this thread so move if appropriate, but intrigued by the comment that

... a huge number, if not the majority, of RHD NSX were auto's

are you able to put any numbers to that statement?

cheers

Hi, apologize if hijacking this thread so move if appropriate, but intrigued by the comment that

... a huge number, if not the majority, of RHD NSX were auto's

are you able to put any numbers to that statement?

cheers

No. I've been looking for credible documentation. Apparently, the JP folks keep track of each frame number, but I am unable to get an accounting. Any help Kaz?

Personally, I have been looking for a manual RHD NSX for a couple of years. My mental notes come from going through the JDM auctions that I have bid on. It would seem a +5:1 ratio of auto:manual, with the manuals having a massive price premium over autos.

In my market it is a +2x premium of manual over auto. My cross section may be skewed as I was pretty much looking at auctions, which is a common way to sell in JP.

Last edited:
This NSX has been bouncing between different dealers for the better part of a year, if not longer. In my opinion, it is priced within $1k of its value. I would take care to confirm the maintenance history to ensure there is not a hidden reason why the car has not sold for such a long time.

Thank you for the responses so far.

This NSX has been bouncing between different dealers for the better part of a year, if not longer. In my opinion, it is priced within $1k of its value. I would take care to confirm the maintenance history to ensure there is not a hidden reason why the car has not sold for such a long time.

I noticed this as well and it has been holding me back from making the drive to see it. I've emailed a few times asking about records but haven't gotten a response.

That car spent some time at Chequered Flag International in Marina Del Rey, CA last year or in 2015. I suspect it didn't sell and they wholesaled it. Nice that the seats and door panels were re-done. The current price ($39,998) is higher than when CFI had it. Without any service documentation you should budget monies for timing belt / water pump (and maybe TB tensioner), full fluids exchange (engine oil, coolant, trans fluid), thermostat, spark plugs, fuel filter, and flush the brake fluid. I would also consider replacing the coolant hoses given the age of the car (there are 24 of them in an automatic). Get a PPI and go for it.

Last edited:
I would def recommend driving both an auto and a manual to compare before spending that much money on a 25 year old car.

Another problem you might have with automatic is selling it when you decide to sale.

Honest opinion, I would never buy an automatic NSX.

Hi Andrew,

A regular, rather expensive service on the NSX is the Timingbelt & Water pump.
Which, according to my service manual says should be replaced every 90,000 miles / 72 months.

Every NSX known to man has bad window regulators and bad speaker amplifiers.
The radiator usually starts to leak around the endtanks, the ugly coolant bottle can leak/crack at the seem, and the rad hoses particularly between the engine and the firewall tend to leak/crack (due to thermal and motion fatigue!).
There is a fan in the cockpit that usually makes a lot of noise.
Some other electrical gremlins with the main relay/ignition switch/fuel pump resistor. These go bad, and can cause the car to not start.

All of the above is a matter of when, not if. But they're all known, fixable issues!

These cars are bulletproof (I've got over 120,000 miles, many others have more).
Go for it if the car seems in decent condition! (Don't be scared by the above list).

Oh, and the black NSXs got an extra 10 hp from the factory.

Happy hunting!

Lucas

To add to the list -- fasteners on the butterfly valves of the VVIS unit are known to come loose over time and cause catastrophic engine failure.

Automatics are de-tuned to put down less power. I’d buy a manual one as there are usually many for sale.

I would def recommend driving both an auto and a manual to compare before spending that much money on a 25 year old car.

Another problem you might have with automatic is selling it when you decide to sale.

Honest opinion, I would never buy an automatic NSX.

excellent points, and well worth taking into consideration.

the auto's come with 250 horsepower, which is not a lot for a 3200 lbs. car. acceleration is rather unimpressive by modern day standards.

and one of the outstanding joys of driving an NSX is definitely its manual transmission...

Ok. I am going to pass on this one and start looking for a manual one in black or blue.
You should drive auto and manual and decide what is best for you. But trust me, you’ll want the manual if you’re a car enthusiast.

i remember that car from early last year before i bought my current car. i considered checking it out, but ended up passing on it and not bothering. I decided that i wanted my first NSX to be manual and not automatic.

There was an absolutely beautiful Red 5 speed 91 at the Woodland Hills 1st annual nsx day last Sunday for $47,000 with about 86,000 miles. It hadn’t been listed anywhere yet..

I can't believe I've saying this, but I'm considering selling my 91 manual... I just haven't had the time to post in the for sale section. It's got high miles (approaching 150k), but is in good mechanical and cosmetic condition (and the price will reflect the milage).

PM me for details if you're interested.

I can't believe I've saying this, but I'm considering selling my 91 manual... I just haven't had the time to post in the for sale section. It's got high miles (approaching 150k), but is in good mechanical and cosmetic condition (and the price will reflect the milage).

PM me for details if you're interested.
GLWS, seeya in a couple years.:wink:

The snap ring issue shouldn't deter you from buying an early manual. It's easy to check the transmission serial # to rule out possibly affected cars. Even if the transmission is in snap ring range, it's not a guarantee that it will fail. Here's a great link that goes into further detail. Good luck! https://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Troubleshooting/transmission.htm

Last edited:
Back