• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Cost of PPI

Any idea of the general cost of ordering a PPI? Looking at 1992. Still has R13 a/c-not sure how much longer that will last and what it costs to update. Any recommendation on replacement aftermarket stereos? I am looking at two cars and one has a broken Bose. Thanks. Just joined Prime. Great forum.

I was given a cost of 600 from Acura with leakdown test i ended up doing it myself. I would look to see if there is a good nsx tech in your area through these boards and contact them. I have read many times where a ppi came back clean only to have major issues due to the ppi being done by someone with little experience with the nsx and not knowing what to look for.

I have read many times where a ppi came back clean only to have major issues due to the ppi being done by someone with little experience with the nsx and not knowing what to look for.

+1 If the car is near a known and knowledgeable NSX mechanic, have them do the PPI and also quote any repairs needed, use that quote in price negotiations with the seller that didn't take care of the car properly, deferred maintenance, etc.

Never hurts to search the net and here for the VIN and ask to speak with the seller's mechanic/shop regarding the vehicle. Legit guys should have no problem with this request.

If the car is with a dealer and it isn't an Acura dealer with a certified NSX mechanic, expect little useful information and possibly resistance since they probably took it in on trade or off the auction block and know little about the true status of the car.

Spend some time on the wiki here and come up to speed on the finer points of the NSX and ownership.

This '92 had the water pump/hoses/timing belt/clutch replaced in 2002 and water pump/timing belt again this past year.

I have read so many posts where the ppi did not catch main issues. I might start by calling the dealership where the last service was done.

Love the car, but nervous about costly repairs. Thanks for the advice.

Somewhere on here theres a long informative thread about PPI's, what they can find out for you, what they can't find out for you. A leak down test though is a must have though. I was quoted around $350 from Beurkle Acura in MN, but I went with an NSXPrime Member that knows his way around the car and has a shop for much less.

The first thing most members will do is post in the regional forums looking for someone that can do a PPI or at least put eyes on the vehicle and report its general condition before ordering a PPI. IMO, you only want to order a PPI on a vehicle you are VERY sure you will buy depending on the outcome of the PPI, otherwise it could get expensive.

Theres also an excellent link to a very in depth NSX buyers guide but I no longer have it. =) Someone will see this thread and hopefully post it.

Last edited:
This will be in the St Paul, MN area. There is an Acura dealership, (White Bear Acura?) but would rather take it to an individual. Anybody located in the Twin City area? Also looking at a C6 Z06-totally different car, but unique as well, and about $10k more than the NSX.

Any idea of the general cost of ordering a PPI?
Most places will take 1-2 hours, and typical labor rates are $100-150/hour.

Still has R13 a/c-not sure how much longer that will last and what it costs to update.
You mean R12. Updating costs around $60 for the kit, something like that for the R143a refrigerant, and an hour or so for labor. Figure $250-350 for the conversion, bottom line.

Any recommendation on replacement aftermarket stereos? I am looking at two cars and one has a broken Bose.
90 percent of the broken stereos can be fixed for under $200 or so by sending the parts to the guy who runs this website, which has all the information about the problem, how to remove/reinstall the parts, etc. You can also contact him by sending a private message through NSXprime to username Briank

Back