• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Cover/not cover in the rain for 1-2 months?

nsxtasy said:
I disagree. The purpose of a car cover has nothing to do with protecting the car from getting wet. It's possible for any car to get wet when covered, either from rain (which some covers protect against, more or less, and others don't) or from condensation. The main purpose of a car cover is to protect the car from sunlight, which fades the finish over time. Depending on the material used, some car covers can also protect to varying degrees against tree sap, bird droppings, small door dings, and curious neighbors.

A cover that allows the car to get wet, such as a poly-cotton blend, can be used outdoors as well as indoors. Been there, done that; it's no big deal. A car cover (ANY kind of car cover, even the water resistant ones) is going to be wet right after it rains, and messy to put away (in the plastic garbage bag you keep in the car for that contingency). If you're using the cover on a short term basis, you might not want to cover it when rain is predicted, if you want to avoid the mess.

I tend to disagree with you on the point about a cover not protecting a car from getting wet. The reason there are different materials and types of covers is because there are different purposes for the specifically designed cover. Some are made for indoor use only, some are for indoor/outdoor, some are to protect from UV rays, some are cushioned to protect from getting scratches and slight dings, etc. Most manufacturers test their cover material for:
1. Water Resistance
2. Breathability
3. UV Protection
4. Man-made and natural hazards and fallout protection
5. Softness

A cover with material that has tested to be very water resistant was designed for that purpose and will keep moisture from getting through the cover and onto the car's surface. The outside of the cover will get wet if it rains since that's physics and nature and nothing can prevent that. If the car is being parked long term (more than a week or so) and there is a chance that it will rain in that time frame, then a water resistent cover will keep the car dry underneath and the outside of the cover will dry over time. That's why people wear rain suits since they are water resistent and keeps the body dry but some people will go into the rain in cotton clothes which are not water resistent and we know that result.

Covers that are not water resistant but has all the other attributes of breathability, UV protection, etc... is usually designed for indoor use with limited outdoor use (not for rain or snow but can be used outdoors on sunny days or non-rainy days). Can you use it outdoors when it rains, of course since you can do whatever you want but it will not protect your car from getting wet if that was your goal.

nsxtasy said:
Car covers come in a variety of fabrics, including cotton, poly-cotton blends, layered fabrics like Evolution 4, and others.

My understanding is that there are two kinds of covers that are not suitable for outdoor use: (1) covers that do not "breathe" and keep moisture trapped underneath, without the ability to evaporate; and (2) soft covers (e.g. all cotton) which are not all that strong and might not stand up to the wind and other aspects of outdoor use as well as the layered and poly-cotton fabrics.

I thought that the OEM cover is either poly-cotton or a layered fabric; in either case, you should be able to use it outdoors. Those who claim otherwise, can you please provide more information why you say that?

The OEM covers I picked up in Japan are VERY different from the OEM cover I have in the USA. The Japanese covers are made from a polyester/plastic type material that held 6 inches of water without letting a drop through. It did let air (and highly pressurized water) through. I wish I could read the directions/instructions to see if they will work outside!

Back