• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Cracked windshield - where to take it?

Hi

During my last drive, my windshield cracked along the bottom. The crack is about 9" long. It starts in the center bottom, extends up about 3", then makes a right (looking at it from in the car). It it not in my line of sight. Is this crack acceptable at the track (like thunderhill)?

If not, where can I take my NSX to have the windshield replaced? I will only take it to a qualified NSX Acura certified mechanic. I've had windshields replaced by generic windshield repair places with less than satisfactory results!

I live in Merced and would be willing to drive to the Bay area to have the shield replaced CORRECTLY. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

------------------
1994 Green-black roof/tan, 5 speed
Do you know of another Green-Black roof NSX?? Please email me if you do.

Most insurance companys cover the front windsheild 100% with no deductible. Call them and they will give you a list of auto glass shops in your area.

Thanks MiamieNeSeX,

But I won't take my NSX to any old windshield repair shop. I will only take it to a NSX qualified mechanic. Hum...come to think of it, Nello in Sacramento must have a qualified mechanic. I'll give them a call in the morning.

My insurance covers windshield damage 100%, so cost is not an issue.

Thanks -

------------------

Liteso,

I'm also very particular to who works on my car. But it might be that someone who replaces windshields for their business day in and day out, might do a better job than an Acura mechanic who might have never replaced a NSX windshield at all. Particularly if you get a consciencious installer willing to read the NSX shop manual.

Just a thought.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
1976 Honda Accord 5 spd, 3 door Blue/Blue
1977 Honda Accord - Custom - Under Construction
1986 Chevy Suburban
http://homepage.mac.com/jimanders/PhotoAlbum1.html

Here's some info about NSX windshields posted a while ago by Al Terpak (Sacramento chapter):

"Only use an aftermarket glass such as PPG or from another major manufacturer like Libbey Owens Ford. These are guaranteed to be optically correct throughout the glass surface. Don't go for any glass which seems to cheap to be true. They will probably have an optical distortion in them. The PPG and LOF glass is designed to be an exact duplicate of the factory original so the fit is not the problem but rather who installs them. Glass quality in resistance to cracking should be the same. Naturally the factory glass is OK but as you've stated rather expensive. After the right glass windshield, the key is the installation shop and how well they know the process for this car."

Here's a message posted by Gary Berger who had his windshield replaced by a mobile glass shop in the south bay area:

"I paid $500 for labor and an aftermarket (non-Honda) windshield. I used Glass West in Campbell, CA (408/556-0256). They did a great job, and I treat my NSXs as if they were my children. There aren't mouldings per se, the windshield is glued in, and that glue is removed and replaced during the windshield replacement."

Hope this info helps you out.

Vytas

[This message has been edited by Vytas (edited 22 October 2002).]

I disagree with part of the post above. Use Honda OEM glass only if you want a proper fit.

I just went through this in the summer. My experience in speaking with two of my local dealers, is dealers almost always sub out glass work to a glass company, to do the install.

I would go to a body shop you know and trust and ask them which glass guy they use and give that a shot.

------------------
Live Free or Die
www.nsxuppereast.com

[This message has been edited by RichH (edited 22 October 2002).]

I had the windshield replaced on my NSX two years ago. At first my insurance company wanted to use aftermarket glass which I objected to of course. I also wanted the stealership to do the work but they said it would be better to take thecar to a glass place. So, with my insurance companies referral, I took my car to Safelite (a national chain) and they said that they there was no aftermarket glass available. In the end, I got an OEM windshield installed without any problems. They even knew to order the new plastic strip.

I would have no hesitation bringing your car to a glass place.

I've just replaced the second windshield on an NSX. I had to do one on my old '91 and just last week on my 2000. They were both aftermarket glass (which, by law, has to meet the same specs as the OEM glass). In both cases the aftermarket glass was perfect. I paid $350 a few years ago and $300 last week. Yes that's total. My dealer wanted over $900 for original Honda glass and $350 for aftermarket. They definitely sub out the work to a "glass man" that comes to the dealership once a week to do glass. Hope this helps!

S.L.

[This message has been edited by V12NSX (edited 22 October 2002).]

What I have been told (True or False) is that the after market glass is thicker. I have also heard stories about it cracking after being installed because the fit is not correct. I take you have not had these problems.

I guess if you are paying it makes sense to get the best price, but here in NH glass is covered by insurance and the biggest hassle is getting the insurance company to pony up the extra doe for OEM glass, but is never hurts to try. It worked for me!

------------------
Live Free or Die

www.nsxuppereast.com

I believe the quote by Al Terpak is informative for those considering an aftermarket windshield as an alternative to OEM Honda glass.

Addressing several points from above...

Not sure why someone claimed no aftermarket glass was available, but if you had it done anywhere except the dealer you likely got just that. The glass places will tell you straight out that they are selling you glass from an "OEM" manufacturer. While not an outright lie, it does not mean the glass if from Honda. It simply means that the glass was made by a company which also makes OEM glass for some car company. This is a fact. Press them hard enough and ask if it will have the Honda logo and part number on it, and they will fold. For this reason alone I refuse to give them my money.

I'm not saying you need a true Honda part, I'm just saying don't be deceived by their intentionally misleading claims. If you are good at haggling (I’m not, at least when in this country) you can probably get a couple hundred off at your dealer.

As others have said, most dealers use an outside "glass man" for the actual install because they are better and cheaper. A certified NSX tech wouldn't know where to start.

I have not found it to be true that most insurance policies will cover at zero deductible. Some will, but many don’t. What most do cover with zero deductible is glass “repair” for the obvious reason that it can save the cost of replacement.

Okay, I called Niello Acura in Sacramento today and they don't do replacement windshields. They send that work out to a place called "Hayes Brothers Auto Glass", which is located in downtown Sac.

I called Hayes Brothers and the receptionist confirmed twice that the glass techs are familiar with NSX's and could do the job in 1.5 hours. Has anyone out there had work done at Hayes in Sacramento and are you satisfied with there work?? I figure if Niello sends customers to them, they should be pretty good. Any feedback??

------------------

Originally posted by sjs:
Addressing several points from above...

Not sure why someone claimed no aftermarket glass was available, but if you had it done anywhere except the dealer you likely got just that. The glass places will tell you straight out that they are selling you glass from an "OEM" manufacturer. While not an outright lie, it does not mean the glass if from Honda. It simply means that the glass was made by a company which also makes OEM glass for some car company. This is a fact...

It was me that made that statement, and at the time I had my windshield replaced the Safelite place could not locate aftermarket glass. They are a major nationwide chain, so I had no reason to not believe them. Furthermore, I saw the cargo box that said Honda, and my new windshield has the Honda etching in the corner. I highly doubt that the glass company went through the trouble of forging the etching, but maybe they did?

Originally posted by Dr.Lane:
It was me that made that statement, ... I saw the cargo box that said Honda, and my new windshield has the Honda etching in the corner. I highly doubt that the glass company went through the trouble of forging the etching, but maybe they did?

No, I'm sure you got the real deal. I haven't heard of blatant fraud, just careful deception without really lying. Perhaps they just couldn't find anything in stock in the region? Anyway, good to hear I was wrong and you got straight treatment from someone. I've been known to make sport of glass places just to rile them and I'm rarely disappointed.

No, my glass was ordered though a dealer, originated in Japan, and installed at Safelite. It has the Honda logo on the glass.

It is easy to determine OEM glass by the logo. I think Honda might take exception to anyone using their logo on after market glass.

Greg, I had mine done at Los Gatos Acure and I only had to take it back once. they did a pretty fair job of it, but I wasn't happy with the fit of the upper trim piece.

Thanks Ken and everyone who responded. I'm calling Safelite tomorrow since there is a shop here locally. I'm going to take the advice of Jim and others and let the professionals do it. But I think I will insist on a Honda OEM replacement or other quality (like PPG).

I don't care of the cost since my insurance is paying for it (well, I'm actually paying for it via monthly payments, and since I've been insured for over 20 years and have never filed a claim, I'm REALLY paying for it! Hum...let's see, payments of about $90 a month X 240 = $21,600)

Anyway, I'll keep you posted on the results. Have a safe day.

------------------

My windshield was replaced by "Safelite" in Fresno this morning. The new glass is from Honda and was installed very professionally. The job took 2 hours as quoted. For those of you in the Fresno area, have no fears taking your car to the Safelite shop on Blackstone Ave.

It sure is nice to have a spanking new windshield in front of me.

------------------

Originally posted by Litesokneecough:
My windshield was replaced by "Safelite" in Fresno this morning. The new glass is from Honda and was installed very professionally. The job took 2 hours as quoted. For those of you in the Fresno area, have no fears taking your car to the Safelite shop on Blackstone Ave.

It sure is nice to have a spanking new windshield in front of me.

How much for parts and labor?

Total without tax was $335. Included all the trim pieces except for the top molding. Acura sent the correct piece, but the new molding was not exactly the same and would not fit, so they used the old molding which looks good anyway.

------------------

Do you have Empire Glass over there?
800,000,000 Free dinners to El Paso BBQ restaurant and a Free 24k Gold Necklace.
biggrin.gif
confused.gif

Is it possible to replace the windshield with something lighter like the racing window glass Dali offers?

Back