• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Crunch

Looks like the snap ring on 3156 just failed. So...

Other than the clunch (which only has about 10k miles on it) and any other worn stuff in the trans, is there anything else I should be looking at replacing? I'm going to try and see if my dealer will cut me a break on this, but I suspect I'll just be getting a rebuilt trans from the guy in Pheonix.

From your heading, I guess you heard a crunch when it failed. I've read the posts about the sounds made when one fails and how you can tell, but I'd like to know in greater detail what you heard and when. Was it a continual grinding, a one shot deal, appear only on shifting, etc? Could you tell by the shifter, etc. In the past few days my 91 has started catching/grinding going into 2nd - and only into second. I think it's unrelated, but since I'm a 91 and don't know my tranny number as I sit here at work, just thought I'd check.

NSX2XS said:
In the past few days my 91 has started catching/grinding going into 2nd - and only into second. I think it's unrelated,

The grinding you are hearing is a worn synchro. I get mine when negotiating 3rd from 4th only at very high rpm, sometimes on the way up too, 3-4, but double clutching when in those rare situations removes the grinding.

If you are not noticing the shifter move back and forth under accel/decel than you most likely do not have a snap ring issue..poping out of gear is the other most common symptom...sounds more like you have a wornout 2nd gear syncro set....this would be a good time to get a new case half if yours is in snap ring range and has not been updated..also this would be a good time to drop in the 4.23 JDM final drive and give yourself a little more kick in the pants!!....JZ

If you have any Q whether your snap ring is OK or not, it's easy to inspect it. The inspection plug is on the driver's side of the car next to the axle shaft. It's a plug with a square indenture in the middle of it.First, remove the rear wheel . You can insert the square end of a 1/2" rachet extention into the indenture for leverage. Unscrew it and you'll be able to see much of the snap ring using a flashlight. If broken, you'll likely see bits of it sitting in the threaded inspection hole. When you remove the inspection plug a small amout of tranny oil will spill out--but not much.

Back