• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

CT whipple SC low boost conversion

I bought a used ct whipple charger with the high boost pulley, 550 injectors, and AEM ems. What parts do I need to convert back to low boost? I want to keep it smog legal, since im in CA.

I bought a used ct whipple charger with the high boost pulley, 550 injectors, and AEM ems. What parts do I need to convert back to low boost? I want to keep it smog legal, since im in CA.
You will need the rising rate fuel pressure regulator, the voltage booster for your fuel pump, Oem injectors, and I am sure other bits and pieces. I would highly recommend calling Shad at driving ambition. If he does not answer, continue to call. Tell him your situation, drop off your car, get your kit back to super safe spec, and have a unsurpassed person tune the kit he helped create. You'll be extremely pleased when he is done with it. It will be done the first time and correctly.

He will also do a compression/ leak down test and base dyno to make sure the motor is healthy enough for boost. I had him install my new kit recently. 340 hp to the wheels on a safe tune on a 91 which had a baseline of 251 hp.

Last edited:
What year car? I don't know about CA but info have (for sale) most of the parts to convert to the CT low-boost fueling setup. Why would you have to for smog though?

I also have an AEM fpr. Can I use the AEM ems, rc 550's injectors, and new low boost pulley? And get a tune?? We have smogs checks every 2 years in CA. I'm due for one in a year

I also have an AEM fpr. Can I use the AEM ems, rc 550's injectors, and new low boost pulley? And get a tune?? We have smogs checks every 2 years in CA. I'm due for one in a year
No. An ems will remove your Oem engine control unit and replace it. Therefore, removing all of your emission controls, sensors, and everything else that makes your engine healthy and clean without failure. You could stick with your current set up, buy an Aem fic to advance or retard timing which will work as a piggy back unit with your Oem engine control unit. Shad is also very good at these and will be my next step. But to be honest, another 2,000+ dollars for another 40-50 hp with a higher risk of engine failure is not worth it to me. My car has all the power I need for the moment, passes smog, is LEGAL, and helps control emissions. I am totally happy with my low boost box kit. I have had turbo Hondas in California previously. They were more headaches than I could have ever imagined. With the off the shelf ctsc kit, I got exactly what I was looking for. A turn key kit, carb legal, and a very noticeable boost in performance.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Jinks!! I'm new this stuff, so I appreciate your advice. So, basically I need a low boost pulley, AEM fic or CT piggy, and tune? I can reuse my OEM injectors as well? Probably get it cleaned and tested before I install the SC. Its going on a 92.

To reduce boost, you need the low-boost pulley. You could use your existing fueling setup with that pulley, by retuning the AEM. Or you could switch to the standard CT fueling, which uses: (1) a voltage booster to supply extra voltage to the fuel pump under boost; (2) a FMU (aka RRFPR, aka high-rate FPR) to increase the fuel pressure under boost, proportional to boost pressure; and (3) OEM injectors. This fueling setup works with the OEM ECU and (4) a signal modifier (to prevent the ECU from receiving a MAP signal indicating boost).

What Jinks mentioned is that if you want to use the OEM ECU with larger injectors, then you have to use a piggyback controller like the F/IC to modify the signal to the injectors.

Yes what jwmelvin says. I am new to the ctsc kits myself so I am sure you'll get very precise answers here. But you get the idea now. Shad can order all these parts new from ct and if it were me, I'd be calling him every few hours.

The OEM ECU and the OEM smog items (Cats, EGR, etc) have a primary role in making your car pass the sniffer. Most Smog shops will *usually* pass your car visually as long as your setup looks inconspicuous (i.e. no weird loose wires, no weird air filter or tubings, no shiny bling parts, etc..).

Chances are your AEM EMS tune will not pass smog but if you're tuner is good he can create a SMOG map. I'm working on my SMOG map here and there but i'm of no help to you since i'm on an HKS F-Con Vpro computer.

Is the charger you got from 91-94? If not you will need IAT valve block to convert. I recommend install everything have a tuner make you a tune that will pass smog. I just got my car smog with a smaller 91mm pulley (101mm low boost) while my car is being smog I closely monitored my gauges and the boost gauge is nowhere near going to boost even at 25 mph test. Make sure you have a working EGR Valve, the CTSC manifold EGR air recirculating is not clogged and a good WORKING Stock Catalityc converters.

Back