• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Current 16" and 17" tire choices

I think a number of us are still running 16/17 wheels.

Tire choices in these sizes seems to be diminishing.

I need to replace my current set of 16/17 which are no longer available in the sizes I need.

I would be most interested in seeing if there is a consensus on Prime about which brands and tires in 16/17 are most commonly used now.

Thanks
Jim

Last edited:
Im running DZ 101 and im happy with them, i ran the back 255 instead of 245 and the price is great, i dont track my car just cruising around and the tread life is really good as well.

I'm running the Bridgestone Potenza RE-11

OEM 16/17 widths not available so put together this combination:

205-45-16 front (keeps steering nimble)
235-40-17 rear (almost as wide as 245)

I've been completely impressed by them...
stick great, look great , ride is firm but not overly so.

Last edited:
i also have the potenza re-11 on oem 16 and 17" wheels,and they're the best tires i've had,real good grip,and surprisingly quiet.

i'm running 205/45-16 in the front,1 size smaller than oem.here's a thread i started about this that led me to the conclusion that 205's were fine in front,which opens up more choices.re-11's run wide,too,which helps
http://nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145273

i was able to find oem 245/40-17's for the rear at tire rack

Last edited:
As noted above, the stock Bridgestone Potenza RE010 tires that were designed for the NSX are still available from the Tire Rack. They will provide the maximum precise steering feel.

For the best grip and performance in a street tire, get one of the "extreme performance summer tires":

Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 205/45-16 and 245/40-17
Kumho Ecsta XS 215/45-16 and 245/40-17 or 255/40-17
Toyo Proxes R1R 205/45-16 and 245/40-17
Falken Azenis RT-615K 215/45-16 and 255/40-17

And if you want a little bit longer treadlife (such things being relative in the NSX :wink: ) while still getting excellent performance albeit not quite as good as the previous but pretty darn close, get the Continental ExtremeContact DW in 205/45-16 and 245/40-17. It's a great all-around choice.

I would not recommend the Dunlop Direzza DZ101 mentioned above. It's really designed more for those looking for economy rather than performance, and will not take full advantage of the NSX's performance the way any of these other tires will.

I am deciding between the Toyo R1R 205/45R16 and 225/45ZR16 and have a question about max loads. The 205 has a max load 1074 lbs, whereas the 225 is at 1279 lbs. Taking into account the OE 215/45ZR16 RE010's max load of 1168 lbs, would it be better to go with 225s or are the differences negligible?

Sorry, if this has come up before. I promised I searched.

References:
http://toyotires.com/print/tires/passenger/full/PXR1R/107
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Potenza+RE010

The difference in max load is not a concern, since even a fully-loaded NSX will be well under the stated load factor. Don't worry about it.

Just wanted to issue a 'thanks' to those giving fantastic input here, and single out NSXSTASY for the authoritative advice.

If you're not on a royalty with TireRack or others, you should be. Will probably be getting the Bridgestones for my 16,17s as a result of reading this, balancing out the overwhelming options.

Thanks for helping clarify.

I have no association with any tire manufacturers or dealers, other than as a customer who pays the same prices as everyone else.

Thanks for the kind words!

You clearly follow the market, technology, and how the tires suit these cars.

Okay, it's showdown time. Would love tie-breaker help.

I don't drive the car that much, maybe 1500 miles a year. Can't justify bigger expense tires. I do no hard-driving, only 'spirited' street driving. No ice, no snow. Some rain. Mostly fair weather.

So, your choice on stock 7 spoke wheels:

1) Bridgestone RE760s, 205/45 x 16s, 255/40 x 17s.
2) Kuhmo Ecsta XS, 215/45 x 16s, 255/40 x 17s.
3) Yokohama S-drive, 205/45 x 16s, 255/40 x 17s

All 'about' the same price. What's your choice? (drumroll...)

Last edited:
You clearly follow the market, technology, and how the tires suit these cars.

Okay, it's showdown time. Would love tie-breaker help.

I don't drive the car that much, maybe 1500 miles a year. Can't justify bigger expense tires. I do no hard-driving, only 'spirited' street driving. No ice, no snow. Some rain. Mostly fair weather.

If you're looking for maximum performance for a street tire, then these are my preference in order:

1) Bridgestone RE-11
2) Toyo Proxes R1R
3) Falken Azenis RT-615k
4) Kumho Ecsta XS

These all offer phenomenal dry traction with the bridgstone and toyo having the best wet and rain traction. The falken and kumho is also good but just lacking the confidence and handling in the wet versus the other two tires! I have experience with all the tires besides the R1R but I have heard nothing but great stories from it. The RE-11 is by far the best dry/wet handling street tire I have ever had and couldn't be happier! It does, unfortunately, comes with a bigger price tag than the other ones on the list.

However, if you're looking for more treadwear and comfort, these should do good as well:

1) Continental Extremecontact DW
2) Bridgestone RE760 Sport

I have the Continental on my e39 m5 before and they have very good traction and by far the most comfortable summer tires I have had before. I couldn't comment much about the RE760 Sport since i have never had them, but the characteristics of that from what i have researched up is it offers the best of all season comfort and wet traction, with plenty of dry grip as well.

So if you don't drive hard, maybe the continental or RE760 Sport will suit you best!!

The other small note is that if you're going for 205/45-16 fronts, it is best that you get 245/40-17 instead of 255/40-17. Honestly I don't know much about why people recommend that but a lot of tire guru's here don't suggest that combination. A little bit smaller size wouldn't affect much too since you're not driving hard/tracking your nsx. Also, smaller size means cheaper as well =) save some money!

Have fun and good luck hunting for some new shoes!

So if you don't drive hard, maybe the continental or RE760 Sport will suit you best!!

The other small note is that if you're going for 205/45-16 fronts, it is best that you get 245/40-17 instead of 255/40-17. Honestly I don't know much about why people recommend that but a lot of tire guru's here don't suggest that combination. A little bit smaller size wouldn't affect much too since you're not driving hard/tracking your nsx. Also, smaller size means cheaper as well =) save some money!

Have fun and good luck hunting for some new shoes!

Jeepers, that's fabulous info. I really appreciate it very much. I have the RE760s on another car that has maybe 150 hp than the NSX (also mid engined) and they behave very well. Plus, my Bridgestone dealer guy is almost at my back door, so that's a plus.

I GREATLY appreciate the 245 vs 255 input as I wasn't sure, but since I have a trace of redneck in my genes, I just wanted 'bigger' on the surface judgement that it meant 'better'. But I too have noticed the subtle recommendations of the 245 rears in conjunction with the 205 fronts, w/o much mention toward the 255s. So, thanks for pointing that out.

Last edited:

The Ecsta XS. They're much better than the other two on dry pavement for that "spirited" driving. If wet pavement is a priority, then I would instead get one of the other choices I mentioned, particularly the Continental ExtremeContact DW. I wouldn't go with the RE760 Sport or the S.drive on an NSX, as they're a significant step down in performance even from the Continental.

Note that you drive so few miles, your tires are going to last you quite a while (even on an NSX - at least a couple of years and probably more), so I wouldn't worry much about price.

The other small note is that if you're going for 205/45-16 fronts, it is best that you get 245/40-17 instead of 255/40-17.
iagree.gif

That's why I didn't recommend a 205 and 255 combination in any of my recommendations above. The handling isn't as good and unless it's a '91-93, it tends to be worse for the TCS.

Spooler - any thoughts/reasons as to why you chose a 235 rear tire vs. the 245? I'm going to get a set of OEM 7-spokes and will run a 205 front. As to the rear, I'm trying to do more research on 235 vs. 245 vs. 255.

Thanks.

There's absolutely no reason to get a 235 rear tire. Stick with 245 or 255; 245 is better if you have a 205 front, and you can use either with a 215 front.

I must confess to a certain degree of over-load on new tire choices (16/17 - 1992 NSX). I don't drive a lot of miles and I don't race. Believe it or not a lack of excessvie noize and comfort rank high for me. Also would like a traditional (for an NSX) tread pattern.

Suggestions would be appreciated...........

John

Last edited:
I must confess to a certain degree of over-load on new tire choices (16/17 - 1992 NSX). I don't drive a lot of miles and I don't race. Believe it or not a lack of excessvie noize and comfort rank high for me. Also would like a traditional (for an NSX) tread pattern.

Suggestions would be appreciated...........
I don't know about noise, because I don't pay much attention to it or how tires differ (although I know that the extreme performance tires tend to be higher in noise). I do know that comfort would be improved with the smaller stock wheels (15"/16") because of their taller sidewalls. Also, noise and comfort will be greater when tires are new and at full tread depth, than it will when they get worn and need replacing, so any new tire will probably seem better than any worn tire, whether it's actually any better or not, just because of the difference in tread depth.

Other than that, though, I'd suggest calling the Tire Rack to discuss options with their sales staff. They tend to have pretty good knowledge of how various tires compare for specific attributes such as noise and comfort.

Spooler - any thoughts/reasons as to why you chose a 235 rear tire vs. the 245? I'm going to get a set of OEM 7-spokes and will run a 205 front. As to the rear, I'm trying to do more research on 235 vs. 245 vs. 255.

Thanks.

For me, less is more on the NSX so I wanted to stay as close to the stock widths as possible. my car 1993

At the time I bought my set, I looked for the 245's but they were not yet in the catalog.

After sampling said tires on a friends car and checking the specs, I felt the 235's would be more than adequate.

They are and 1lb lighter to :biggrin:

S

Last edited:
I don't know about noise, because I don't pay much attention to it or how tires differ (although I know that the extreme performance tires tend to be higher in noise). I do know that comfort would be improved with the smaller stock wheels (15"/16") because of their taller sidewalls. Also, noise and comfort will be greater when tires are new and at full tread depth, than it will when they get worn and need replacing, so any new tire will probably seem better than any worn tire, whether it's actually any better or not, just because of the difference in tread depth.

Other than that, though, I'd suggest calling the Tire Rack to discuss options with their sales staff. They tend to have pretty good knowledge of how various tires compare for specific attributes such as noise and comfort.
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I read some more reviews and picked the Kumho's. They are quiet and rate high on all of the other metrics. Price was moderate and they are available. I hope to install next week, I will give you a report.

Thanks as always

John

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I read some more reviews and picked the Kumho's. They are quiet and rate high on all of the other metrics. Price was moderate and they are available. I hope to install next week, I will give you a report.

Thanks as always

John

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

John, how are you liking the Kumhos? I was happy with the Direzza DZ101 but they no longer make the right sizes for 16/17.

I am thinking of getting Kumho

Thanks, Bruce

Reviving a very old thread.

I'm currently in the process of buying a 2000 NSX with stock wheels sizes. It immediately needs new tires. I checked on TireRack and the only option offered was BFG G-FORCE Rival S 1.5. They only had 3 of the 4 OEM Bridgestone tires available.

I searched other online dealers and most have no options.

Are we down to just one new tire that fits?

Reviving a very old thread.

I'm currently in the process of buying a 2000 NSX with stock wheels sizes. It immediately needs new tires. I checked on TireRack and the only option offered was BFG G-FORCE Rival S 1.5. They only had 3 of the 4 OEM Bridgestone tires available.

I searched other online dealers and most have no options.

Are we down to just one new tire that fits?

If you're willing to go down one size in front to 205/45/16, there are quite a few more options that open up. That is what I ended up doing and it works perfectly well and causes no TCS issues - I am running a wider-shouldered tire (Hankook RS4) and it fits nicely on the front wheel.

Another option would be to stick with a 215/45/16 front and upsize the rear to a 255/40/17. I believe the Falken RT615K+ comes in this size.

If you must stick to the original sizing, then yes, your options are limited, at least domestically. I know Yokohama makes a 215/45/16 AD08R for other markets, so you could potentially try looking internationally for the fronts (I believe they still stock the rear 245/40/17 AD08R in the US).

If you're willing to go down one size in front to 205/45/16, there are quite a few more options that open up. That is what I ended up doing and it works perfectly well and causes no TCS issues - I am running a wider-shouldered tire (Hankook RS4) and it fits nicely on the front wheel.

Another option would be to stick with a 215/45/16 front and upsize the rear to a 255/40/17. I believe the Falken RT615K+ comes in this size.

If you must stick to the original sizing, then yes, your options are limited, at least domestically. I know Yokohama makes a 215/45/16 AD08R for other markets, so you could potentially try looking internationally for the fronts (I believe they still stock the rear 245/40/17 AD08R in the US).

I just got new tires for my '96 NSX - the Hankook RS4's - LOVE them! They really hug the road - I see a big improvement from the RS3's.

Back