• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

cv boots

Can anyone tell me what is cv boots?
how it look like?
Acura dealer told me that my nsx's cv boots need to be changed and cost me $400 dollar to get them changed. So, very curious what is the cv boots..?

They're rubber thingy's that hold grease on your axle where it attaches at each end. I've replaced them on my Corolla FX, but I'd have a professional do my NSX. I paid over 400 to get my Infiniti done a few years ago.

The rubber just wears out and splits. If you don't replace them it can lead to more expensive problems.

If you have any question about the CV boots needing to be replaced, it is one of those problems that is easily pointed out with the car on a lift. You'll see problems with the rubber boots (cracking, holes, etc.)

If you avoid this repair and run with damaged boots for too long, you'll just have to replace your CV joint AND boot which is more expensive.

When I do an oil change on my NSX, I get it up on jackstands and while the oil is draining, I coat all the CV boots with a rubber protectant. The rubber stays nice and supple. No cracks so far.

I used to have an '86 Integra and at 60K miles, one CV boot cracked. I had both replaced but every time I did an oil change, I coated all CV boots with a rubber protectant. The key is to do it often and work the protectant into the rubber. At 155K miles, the rubber was still soft and supple and no cracks were to be seen anywhere after nearly 95K miles on these CV boots.

I now have an '01 GSR and will do the same. I *know* I'll never have to replace CV boots on this car. It only takes a few more minutes and will make them last if done on a regular basis.

Vytas

so this begs the questions, what protectant are you using?

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

www.ScienceofSpeed.com - Click for more info

Originally posted by ScienceofSpeed:
so this begs the questions, what protectant are you using?

I use MOC Products, specifically MOC Shine and Sheild. See the MOC's website at www.mocproducts.com. You may use a quality rubber protectant like LRV (The WaxShop) available from www.waxdepot.com and that will work just as well.

Vytas

Back