• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Daily Drive Around $10K. What car is fun/cool to get?

I ride the subway to work, so I do not have a DD atm. But, lately Ive been entertaining the idea of getting a cool, fun, reliable car I can even mod a bit and drive around. Some of the cars I had in mind are:

-Pre 06 Suburu WRX (maybe STi if I can get a great deal)
-Used Civic Si
-Used Integra or RSX
-Eclipse GTX

Know anyone who is selling? Any other suggestions?

Different approach, but I went the cruiser route. High-mileage LS430. Navigation, heated and cooled seats, parking sensors, power sunshades, tons of room, 24 mpg w/ a V8 that does 0-60 in 6 seconds. I paid around $13K, which is a little more than you wanted, but it's still a great car for that price.

If you can have only two seats, the S2000 is a great daily. It's what I currently use and I enjoy every second of it. Sure, it's a bit more raw, a bit louder, and doesn't have the space of a conventional DD, but if that stuff doesn't matter to you, you'll be thrilled with the S. I've been getting between 24-29 mpg consistently in mine and it hasn't given me any real issues to complain about.

If you can have only two seats, the S2000 is a great daily. It's what I currently use and I enjoy every second of it. Sure, it's a bit more raw, a bit louder, and doesn't have the space of a conventional DD, but if that stuff doesn't matter to you, you'll be thrilled with the S. I've been getting between 24-29 mpg consistently in mine and it hasn't given me any real issues to complain about.

Likewise...

you wont find an STi even close to that price (I know, I looked recently). You didn't really mention what specifics you required, but you can sometimes find a G35 sedan close to that range.

I ride the subway to work, so I do not have a DD atm. But, lately Ive been entertaining the idea of getting a cool, fun, reliable car I can even mod a bit and drive around. Some of the cars I had in mind are:

-Pre 06 Suburu WRX (maybe STi if I can get a great deal)
-Used Civic Si
-Used Integra or RSX
-Eclipse GTX

Know anyone who is selling? Any other suggestions?

Thought about the MX5 Miata? Lots and lots of aftermarket stuff to mod it with and trouble free. You could pick up a used one pretty cheaply.

I'm selling a near mint 1998 Integra GS-R. 68k miles. I'm the original owner. PM me if you would like to know more about it. Located in Norcal.

wow thanks guys for the reply. i even busted out the old gran turismo 4 for ps2 and started test driving some of these cars. haha.

what i'm looking for is something a bit different and comfortable than my nsx. i've looked into the s2k, but i just think it's too small... same goes for the miata. i'm a pretty big guy for an asian, and i sorta look funny in those 2 small cars imho. ha. always loved the wrx, gs-r, civic si, but was just entertaining new ideas for a DD.

If you're looking for something a bit bigger, cars I'd probably consider off the top of my head would probably be:

E36 M3 (Owned one and loved it, just really missed my S2K)
IS300 (RWD, great straight six, comfortable)
RSX-S (Always liked these, but was never keen on FWD)
Civic Si (Same as the RSX-S)
350Z (Typically a tad more than $10k, but they're getting down there. Fun to drive, more space than the S2K, but the ride is choppy and the interior is cheap).
S14 240SX (Hard to find an unmolested one that has all the same color body panels, but they're good fun to drive and have a huge aftermarket)
5th Gen Prelude (Good grand tourer. Look great, sort of a little too heavy to have a TON of fun in, but a good driver nonetheless).

I'm sure if I had more time to sit down and think of more alternatives, I'd be able to, but I've got to get going! Happy hunting!

If you're looking for something a bit bigger, cars I'd probably consider off the top of my head would probably be:

E36 M3 (Owned one and loved it, just really missed my S2K)
IS300 (RWD, great straight six, comfortable)
RSX-S (Always liked these, but was never keen on FWD)
Civic Si (Same as the RSX-S)
350Z (Typically a tad more than $10k, but they're getting down there. Fun to drive, more space than the S2K, but the ride is choppy and the interior is cheap).
S14 240SX (Hard to find an unmolested one that has all the same color body panels, but they're good fun to drive and have a huge aftermarket)
5th Gen Prelude (Good grand tourer. Look great, sort of a little too heavy to have a TON of fun in, but a good driver nonetheless).

I'm sure if I had more time to sit down and think of more alternatives, I'd be able to, but I've got to get going! Happy hunting!

thanks man! this is really fun... sort of like looking thru the used car section on GT4. haha. the m3 sounds good... but maybe it might cost too much to maintain? hmm...

Probably a 350Z; it makes more sense than an S2K (bigger, more hp, more of a GT for commute, hatchback for cargo).

You can get the track pack, with factory brembo brakes and volk racing 18" wheels.
that's tasty. haha. was thinking that as well.. i guess an older model with high mileage, i can get for cheap...

Last edited:
Just watched the latest episode of Top Gear UK so how about this?

190E 2.3 16-Valve

Another 16 valve

I had one; the US version is significantly lower in hp (mine was a euro spec, imported), they have mechanical fuel injection, and it would make a terrible daily driver.

You have your answer, it's a Z33 350Z.

Scorp I really wish you'd change your avatar. It's disturbing.

Suntaelee if you already have an NSX, you want something comfortable. Look at this car with 40K miles, its selling on autotrader for about 10K, it was a 60K car. I had one of these for years, it is quiet, smooth, fast, VERY comfortable, and very very reliable. Seats 4 and has a nice trunk. This one is an exceptional one owner model in a very rare color. Link

Attachments

• 16445583072.281748075.IM1.02.565x421_A.562x421[1].jpg
    16445583072.281748075.IM1.02.565x421_A.562x421[1].jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 53
  • 16445583082.281748075.IM1.12.565x421_A.562x421[1].jpg
    16445583082.281748075.IM1.12.565x421_A.562x421[1].jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 16445583085.281748075.IM1.15.565x421_A.562x421[2].jpg
    16445583085.281748075.IM1.15.565x421_A.562x421[2].jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 16445583086.281748075.IM1.16.565x421_A.562x421[1].jpg
    16445583086.281748075.IM1.16.565x421_A.562x421[1].jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 16445583073.281748075.IM1.03.565x421_A.562x421[1].jpg
    16445583073.281748075.IM1.03.565x421_A.562x421[1].jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Scorp I really wish you'd change your avatar. It's disturbing.

Suntaelee if you already have an NSX, you want something comfortable. Look at this car with 40K miles, its selling on autotrader for about 10K, it was a 60K car. I had one of these for years, it is quiet, smooth, fast, VERY comfortable, and very very reliable. Seats 4 and has a nice trunk. This one is an exceptional one owner model in a very rare color. Link

what a great find! that car is so clean. my friend had this in college. never was a fan of it, but it does have a sister engine of a supra (i think?) too bad it's listed in IL. i live in los angeles... might look for something here locally so i can check out the condition and test drive...

man... this is too much fun, looking for cool used cars. i think im sorta interested in the 350z if i want another cool coupe, wrx for the 4 door and boxster engine fun, E36 M3 if i wanna go euro, and anything else that i'm not thinking of.... haha.

what a great find! that car is so clean. my friend had this in college. never was a fan of it, but it does have a sister engine of a supra (i think?) too bad it's listed in IL. i live in los angeles... might look for something here locally so i can check out the condition and test drive...

man... this is too much fun, looking for cool used cars. i think im sorta interested in the 350z if i want another cool coupe, wrx for the 4 door and boxster engine fun, E36 M3 if i wanna go euro, and anything else that i'm not thinking of.... haha.
oh, maybe even a non-turbo 93 supra? haha. i know that won't be practical, but still love how that car looks...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WWnAdB-vkXo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WWnAdB-vkXo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

to OP, you have a good starter list! I've owned three Eclipse over the years back in H.S. and they are loads of fun and have enormous modding potential plus they look cool! Never had any issues with any of mine except when I broke something by my own fault.

The Eclispe GSX is AWD, GS-T is FWD - in socal either one would be fine.

I've had four s2000's all as daily drivers and they work great but since you said you are not comfy in one then that's out the window.

Look for a well cared for Integra Type-R which is probably impossible in the socal area with all those ricers.

I know this is overkill and overbudget but I was looking for a lifted truck in Craigslist earlier and came across a 93 Viper for $24k. Those have got to be fun DD's :)

<object width="480" height="385">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WWnAdB-vkXo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></object>

hahahahaha.

@s4play, man... since im really bored at work, all ive been doing is looking at cars and replying back on here. and yeah, that is exactly how i ended up with my nsx... was thinking of getting a non-turbo supra to play with, ended up buying my nsx last year...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WWnAdB-vkXo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WWnAdB-vkXo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

While I got the joke in the first 30 secs it's pretty much on point. With that I'd suggest a used Veyron but make sure you check out the carfax.

Back