• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Dallas Area - PrePurchase Inspection - Recommendations

All,

After searching for a little while, I think I may have found my NSX (1996; very low miles; excellent price; red/tan; manual; clean carfax; no mods). But, like any "new" car purchase, I want to have an excellent quality NSX technician take a look at it. In other words, a prepurchase inspection. Can you please advise:

Where to get it inspected?
I read that Goodson Acura sent a tech over to NSXPO. Is this a good place? I was thinking it should be since all the NSX fanatics chose that dealership and/or person to be there.

If all goes well, I will be driving it home later today or tomorrow!

Thanks,
Eggman.

If you get the car, then join our NSXCA.org and also our local DallasNSX Listserv and group. We meet the first Wed of each month and then have things like NSXteXpo which is the scaled down version of NSXPO. Good luck!!!

------------------
8k RPM in a recliner!

Chris,

If you get an NSX, then you'll have to bring it to the next Carson's meet.
smile.gif

I gather you're selling the 300 or Corvette?
frown.gif

Michael.

------------------
1994 300ZX Twin Turbo

Michael (and everyone!) -

I forgot that you lurk around on this board.
wink.gif
When I get my NSX, I will surely come on out to Carson's. I missed the last get-together as I work quite a bit.

As for my Corvette...well, it is sold about a month ago; I just never drove it (about 150 miles or so every 6 months...maybe). I don't think I could ever sell the 300ZXTT, though! It is a superb car. In fact, I just think I might take it to Stage VIII next year. Haven't decided on the turbos, but possibly the Sport 600s or the Power Enterprise PE1420 turbos - plus Twin Pop, Greg Dupree downpipes and extrude honed manifold. But, we'll see.

All - And a big THANKS and KUDOS goes to Susan (NSXSERVICEGIRL) @ Goodson Acura. She exceeded my expectations in helping me out. I called and informed her about the need for a preinspection, and not only did she give me some "basic information" in their computer system, but actually called all the dealerships she could and found out some more information for me on the car in question! We talked for a bit and found her quite nice. I give a big thumbs up to her, and will definitely remember her when it comes time for service. Being reponsible for a large customer service organization myself, I understand and appreciate the value of good, true customer service. You deserve the kudos.

As for the car I was all ready to purchase...well, let's just say the seller (a) misrepresented the condition and (b) misrepresented the price as well. He had stated that it was "like new" and the tires were "90%" to the good. Here are just some of the items I found wrong with it

***The (A) Part***
- Had a front-end collision at one time. The fascia was messed up; it had an indentation that was touched up on it; brackets were missing; the original screws were taken apart and put back on when reassembling the whole facia; the chin spoiler was totally FUBAR'd and not attached in many places; parts of undercarriage were misaligned and/or missing.
- Rear tires were 10% at best
- There were modestly deep scratches on the underside door sill
- Seats sucked. Bolster wear and it looked as though they were never treated (not supple at all);
- Rear antenna was going out
- Rear hatch area was baked and crusty from being out in the sun (although the paint finish itself was OK)

***The (B) Part***
He quoted me one price. After I drove down there, inspected the car, and was beginning some post-inspection banter, he informed me that the price would be ~$1000 more than what he agreed with me on the phone. I was not pleased. Classic bait and switch.

FORWARNING:
Here is the ad in question - stay clear of this car!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=5337&item=1872614 748&rd=1

So, the hunt continues. Nothing replaces seeing the car first before you buy it, no matter what the seller/salesman says. Got a few that look iteresting, but I'm a little discouraged right now.
frown.gif

Chris
aka Eggman

[This message has been edited by Eggman (edited 22 November 2002).]

argh... I think I've asked about this car... the pix showed up pretty nice man.. how come... "#R'()!=_? man.. guess I should be more careful in hunting for my 97+ car...
and I'm thankful that my current car isnt that messed up.. how much hes asking for it again? email me how much do you really think it worth after your inspection.. I'm interested in knowing how bad it really is..

Thanks

When I saw your first post, I thought it might be the car I looked at, and meant to warn you off. I noticed the repainted front end, the brittle leather, and the severe cowl shake. You didn't mention the other big $$ item I noticed - the clutch was slipping under acceleration (needed replacement ASAP).

As an aside, I bought a BMW 328is from this seller about a year ago, and have been very happy with it. It's purely luck of the draw with brokers like this guy, though; he has a relationship with Classic BMW - they give him the stuff they don't want to keep on their lot for whatever reason - and likely most of what he gets is about what you'd expect in that arrangement...

Welles and BostonNSX -

Thanks for your feedback and questions. After just reviewing the car externally and talking with him, I pulled the plug. I didn't even want to drive it after that experience. ...so, thanks to Welles, add yet another problem to the list.

He has posted the car again, but not on eBay. Here is the new link:
http://www.cars.com/search/used/cc/standard/results/single/nl/ detail.jhtml?paId=117232370&aff=national&src=&cid=

Again - everyone - stay away! I had him talked down below $39,000 - but that was before I saw the car. Being very anal about my stable, I would not accept anything less than 99% perfect so even if it was priced @ $30,000, I still wouldn't buy it. The guy seemed nice enough, but the eggregious misrepresentations should warn anyone to stay away from this money pit/heap of a car.

Chris.

[This message has been edited by Eggman (edited 22 November 2002).]

Chris, glad to hear you plan on keeping the 300! Good luck on the NSX hunt and when you find & get one, you gotta let me drive it.
smile.gif

Michael.

I want to second your vote of confidence with Susan at Goodson Acura. I called her yesterday afternoon with some questions about service. I told her that I was thinking about buying a '91 and she offered to do her magical research. She even called the dealer that had serviced the car for the past few years. Susan called me this morning with the reports. She was awesome and I will definitely have my NSX serviced by Goodson, once I find it.

The '91 I found sounds good so far. It does need 60K service and timing belt/water pump replaced. As long as it is out of snap ring range and looks/drives nice, I hope to be driving it in less than 2 weeks.

Kipp

I too was interested in this very car as I saw it on eBay just last week. I was fortunate to have a friend who lives in Dallas and is a former owner of a 1994 NSX. This coupled with the fact that my friend has high standards for everything was fortunate for me as I was leaning toward buying this car as I am heavy into my search for a 1995 - 1997 NSX-T Red W/tan. Good thing I had my friend take a look here are his comments:

Here's what I found.

22,777 miles
Door plate said it was SN TT000011, which I think means Targa Top number 11.
The car has a Tennessee Lexus sticker on it.
He said the last guy bought it here and drove it to Dallas.
Had it for four months.

Overall, the car has more wear than you'd think a car with 23k miles would have on it.
There is a check engine light on, he said it's an O2 sensor.
The engine runs a bit rough, and it shouldn't.
The clutch disengages so far from the floor I thought I was in neutral.

Assuming these could be addressed.... Here's the car's condition:

I could find no evidence it had ever been wrecked or painted.
The front spoiler has defintely seen a curb or two and needs replacing.
The nose and hood have a number of rock chips, one area in particluar has 5-6 1/8" chips that could be covered by a quarter.
The right front turn signal is cracked. Other lights are ok.
The tops of both windshield washer nozzles are totally chipped off and have been touched up. I can't imagine what would cause this.
There is a very small nick/crack in the windshield at the drivers upper corner.
Except for one very tiny spot there are no door dings, and that's not even in a door.
There are 6-8 areas of surface scratches and 3-4 places short scratches go through the paint.
The rear spoiler has a quarter sized spot on the top that looks like a chemical hit it. I do not believe this can be polished out. It's still red, but muted.
The front inside trunk looked good.
The engine compartment looked ok, but the inside of the cover had a weird rub mark that I can't imagine what caused it.
I have a photo of this.
The rear inside trunk looked good.
The undercarriage looked undamaged, though it's hard to see.
All the wheels looked fine. Polished on the surfaces.
The rotors definitely had wear and I'd wager it needs a brake job. The left front caliper was rusty. I have a photo of this.
The tires are about half gone.
The seats look fine with no tears or hard wear on them.
Both the sills have a bit of the leather worn on them. I have a photo of this.
The leather surround by the ignition switch is worn through from keys rubbing on it. The carpet looked fine.

If it were for me, I'd pass unless you could get the engine looked at and okayed before you bought it. I didn't think to look at records, but they should be available at any Acura dealer. You might even pay for a history of the car to see how many owners it's had. More than two would be bad I think.

I am glad you had your friend look at it for you, and you didn't waste your time or money on it. One thing I must add, though:

Originally posted by Paul65K:
I could find no evidence it had ever been wrecked or painted.
The front spoiler has defintely seen a curb or two and needs replacing.
The nose and hood have a number of rock chips, one area in particluar has 5-6 1/8" chips that could be covered by a quarter.

If you lift up the "front hood", you will notice that the main screws holding the front facia in place have been unscrewed and put back on again. Additionally, the entire front facia was misfitted. If you look up under the car - and under the front fenderwells - you will notice many problems. Not the least of which is some evidence of a slight altercation of some type in the front. I found not evidence of a repainting, though.

Good luck in your future NSX hunt,
Chris.

Originally posted by Paul65K:
Door plate said it was SN TT000011, which I think means Targa Top number 11.

No, it doesn't. These are the last 8 digits of the vehicle identification number, or VIN. They have the following meaning:

T - 1996 model year car
T - built at Tochigi plant (as are all NSXs)
000011 - 11th NSX built for the U.S. market that year

For a complete decoding of NSX VINs, see the FAQ here.

Talk to the people here before you make arrangements to see a car. That NSX had some suspected front-end work just from looking at the picture.
Some people are just too eager to buy and will rush into a bad deal.

Back