• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

damaged wheel

Got a damaged wheel(see pic)Seems like a coating came of but doesn't really look like clear coat.I beleive these are gun metal color.Are these usually clear coated or is there a special coating.

My question is are these fixable.

HPIM1145.jpg

When I used to be on the Audiworld forums, a guy used to use Bondo to fix chipped up wheels. Sounds crazy, but the stuff works. You would just need to match the metallic looking finish that you have. It's better than spending $100+ to get it fixed.

Well looky what I found here... http://www.audiworld.com/tech/ext43.shtml

Just take it to a paint store to get it colormatched (if doing it yourself). Otherwise just take it to any decent auto body paint shop and they should be able to replicate the color and paint it. The process of painting a wheel is very similar to painting a body panel on a car.

Just got back from the wheel re finisher and he told me that the only way was to repaint the whole wheel.:frown:

Then went to a body shop that specializes in custom paint jobs and he told me the same thing.:frown:

They both said that it was a special coating(black chrome I think they called it) and there was no way to perfectly match the color with paint.:frown::frown:

They are both correct re repainting. Your alternative is to play with touch up paint and then put a clear coat. I know Chrysler has a color that might come close to that. Not perfect but might get away for less than $10.

Haven't tried the BMW Silver - NH606M, but as I have posted before, the Chrysler light silver touch up is a perfect match for the 02+ which i have used. Mopar part # is 04889427AA which is a lacquer paint

For the darker one in the pics above, you might look at their dark quartz gray metallic Mopar part # 4504656

Both are sold in 0.5 fl oz. YMMV.

Haven't tried the BMW Silver - NH606M, but as I have posted before, the Chrysler light silver touch up is a perfect match for the 02+ which i have used. Mopar part # is 04889427AA which is a lacquer paint

For the darker one in the pics above, you might look at their dark quartz gray metallic Mopar part # 4504656

Both are sold in 0.5 fl oz. YMMV.

The Chrysler color is NOT a perfect match, its too light, maybe acceptable for tiny tiny repairs, but not small chips; stick to NH606M.

we have the silver painted rim in 16 and one in 17 here at the shop. Came off a 96.. I will try to post pics and avoid all of the color matching stuff if they are the same...

let me know after the pics are live if it's what you have...

Attachments

• DSCF3129.JPG
    DSCF3129.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
So what are you saying.You have touch up paint or you want to sell your wheels.

So what are you saying.You have touch up paint or you want to sell your wheels.

I am willing to sell these whells. 1 16" and 1 17". I have actually been waiting to find someone who really needed them. The price will be right on them.

I'm actually not running OEM wheels.

If I do decide to redo the wheels should I paint or powder coat.

Back