• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

dc headers and taitec exhaust

FACTS:
Just got my taitec GT parallel Exhaust and dc sports headers installed. I did do a dyno run before the installation and my peak was 228.2 hp. After the installation of both headers and exhaust, I had a net gain of 11.1 hp. My result with the mods are 239.3hp.
This is at the wheels and the only constant was a K&N drop-in filter in the stock air box. This was in the car during both set of dyno runs. This is alot lower than I thought I would get. $200.00+ per HP is kinda depressing
Vance
blk 92 with I/H/E

Yes, this is quite lower than purported numbers especially for pre 97 model years where such mods by other aftermarket vendors have publicized 18-20 HP on the wheels ......... even then at an average of $100+ per HP

Please do investigate with the vendor from whom you bought this and let us know their explanation ......

I will be doing more reserch investigation with the manufactures! on the other hand, it does feel faster. If I were to do a "seat of my pants" estimation I would say "approx 15hp" but the numbers cant lie.
If anyone has experience with upgrades like these with problems and solutions, I would greatly appreciate feedback and suggestions. Maybe there is still hope if I get help from you all... Especially the pros like Chris and Mark
Vance

Vance --

228 RWHP is the lowest dyno figure I've ever heard from a NSX with a good-condition motor. I think the extreme altitude (isn't Ft. Collins higher in elevation than even Denver?) that you live in likely plays a factor in this, and likely minimized the effects of the H/E mods. I've heard (although I have never verified the claims) the exhaust alone netting 12 RWHP with out headers tested in LA (about sea-level).

Regards,
-- Chris

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

http://www.NSXClassifieds.com - free NSX classifieds site!

Chris, I spoke with the dyno shop and they sais that they were calibrated for the high altitude. The dyno supposedly compensated for this elevation. I also remembered a thread from Mark with his 92 car dynoed around 228. almost sure but i may have to go over files to verify this. Hey chris thanks for the response
later
Vance

The stock 3.0-liter NSX typically dynos around 231 hp at the rear wheels; those are the results reported by Wilson Shiu in the FAQ. Your 228 hp figure would be about right if you assume that either the dyno figure or the altitude adjustment could be off by as much as 1 percent.

You are correct in recalling that Mark Johnson's NSX had lower dyno results than most other NSX's, but his got 218 hp, not 228.

Fort Collins is not quite as high in elevation as Denver, but close (5003 ft vs 5280).

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 17 March 2002).]

I want to add: The engine seems to be in great condition. It has 52k miles. oil changes are done every 3k miles or 4 mts. with mobil 1 tri syn. Thers is no smell of "blow by" from the engine after driven hard. There is minimal oil loss every oil change (about 1/5 qrt. or less). And the engine looks and smells good (no oil leaks ect..)
V

Maybe a chip would do some good. You already spent $100 gazillion dollars, what's another $300?
biggrin.gif
Seriously, that's probably a good/cheap enough investment to get the most out of your mods...imo

Can you post the Dyno results so I can see the fuel map curve. The fuel mapping is extremely important. After building the Cybernation Street Drag Integra we dyno 333 to the wheels and only by mapping the fuel after about 4 passes we got the car up to 485 to the wheels. The car now runs 11.1 on the quarter mile. www.cybernationmotorsports.com

Can you post the Dyno results so I can see the fuel map curve. The fuel mapping is extremely important. After building the Cybernation Street Drag Integra we dyno 333 to the wheels and only by mapping the fuel after about 4 passes we got the car up to 485 to the wheels. The car now runs 11.1 on the quarter mile. www.cybernationmotorsports.com

Do you mean the air/fuel ratio? Dynos cannot tell you what the fuel map looks like. And you cannot adjust fuel mapping without additional aftermarket fuel tuning parts such as FPR or electronic fuel controller.

------------------
G Dummy~

Faster than stock.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by maomaonsx (edited 21 March 2002).]

Was the dyno a Mustang or a Dynojet? The Mustang dyno seem to read lower than the Dynojet. However, the Mustang may also be a more accurate measurement of power.

For a stock 3.0L engine with 270 bhp at the flywheel, and allowing for 15% mechanical loss through the drive gear (transmission, differential, etc.), the rear wheel horsepower would be 230 hp. There is a fair amount of mass being turned and friction between the crankshaft and the wheels and that takes/consumes power.

You should ask yourself if you want a high number or an accurate number. I am sure that everybody out there wants both. However, I think that 230 hp is about right for a 3.0L.

Whatever it is, dynos are never a tool that should be used to measure absolute power. It is only useful when measureing power difference creatd by tuning or modification. Even then, the difference could still be inaccurate. Dynos are however, very useful tool to interpret the power delivery with respect to RPM.

------------------
G Dummy~

Faster than stock.
:D :D :D

Smoothaccel:

How do you like your new set up? I have got Barn Man installing new DC Headers and the Taitec GT exhaust on my 91 this weekend. You mention you feel some more power....what about the tune? Do you like the new sound?

Cheers,

Chris
91 NSX Black

Chris (91 blk),
The sound is beautifull!!! I sometimes turn off my radio to listen to the exhaust. The sound at idle is a little deeper than stock then gets louder as the rpm goes up, even louder at vtec. It is not super loud, never droans, and does not sound high pitch(like a F1). It is overall a heavier sounding NSX engine. performance is a little below my expectation but still good.
Vance

While they had the ITR on the dyno, they had a lambda sensor (A/F ratio from O2 signal) on the headers...and it gives your A/F ratio throughout your dyno run...so you can tune the A/F ratio with a controller...

-A

Back