• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Dead Shorai battery (now revived) - is it safe to use?

Dear NSXPrime experts, I went out to give my NSX a drive today and found it to be 100% dead. I have a Shorai battery (2 years old, approximately) that I keep on a battery tender (the one recommended by Shorai). Unfortunately this last week I forgot to plug it into the battery tender, and after only 7 days it was totally dead. I couldn't even unlock the doors with the remote or turn on any interior lights. I tried plugging it into my battery tender for a few hours but the light on the tender flashed red (not charging) and it made no difference. Connections on the battery tender cable looked good.I jump started it from my other car and let it run for a bit, then plugged it back into the battery tender. The battery tender now shows that it is in charging mode (solid red). I tried starting the NSX up a few more time and it starts up without a problem now.My question is - is the battery still good or should I consider getting a new one? Also, how does one determine if a Lithium battery is about to die or if it is still good? Do battery tenders only "maintain" charge or can they act as trickle chargers? Thanks everyone!

I killed the 1.75lb Shorai in my S2000 when I installed my head unit and was playing around with it. I just charged it back and I don't believe I had any issues after that. Being LiFePo, I don't think it suffers from the same fate as a lead acid battery that sits depleted but you may want to monitor it.

It should be fine however it will expand and be useless if you do it too many times, they dont like it more than 2 or 3 times

Battery tenders trickle charge and maintain the battery by keeping it topped off without overcharging it.

Back