• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Deal or steal? -Rare 99 NSX coupe non targa for sale on CL $35K JH4NA2136XT000180

Saw this on CL - http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/2193988679.html

JH4NA2136XT000180. Just spoke with the dealer. It is salvaged. Rear-ended.

Upon research there are several theads on this car. So forget I posted this

3m73o83l05W15P25R3b22b570794c96ae1cd4.jpg

3n23k53m45Y65W35R0b224aa045c3658c1e7b.jpg

3n53m73p95V65Z65U5b2256c575d94e9e1ec1.jpg

3n23kf3o25V15T65P5b22dc4e8a4f76b31b42.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Deal or steal? -Rare 99 NSX coupe non targa for sale on CL $35K

Hmmm... the ad says "NSX-T" but his description says it's a coupe. I'd run the VIN to be sure on this one. 35k is awfully low for a pretty much one of a kind car.

I remember seeing a salvage title yellow NA2 coupe a while back, this is probably the same car.

was it repaired properly? i checked out a similar car... 99 salvaged for a little less actually... silver Targa, so different car. they didn't even bother to repair the cracked taillights and the rear bumper was installed poorly. the guy spent 10 minutes trying to find out why it was salvaged and i told him to stop... clearly it was rear ended. i considered it shortly, but left it and never looked back. a top quality job is unlikely since people are clearly looking to flip these cars and maximize profit... private party enthusiast and you may have something done right.

was it repaired properly? i checked out a similar car... 99 salvaged for a little less actually... silver Targa, so different car. they didn't even bother to repair the cracked taillights and the rear bumper was installed poorly. the guy spent 10 minutes trying to find out why it was salvaged and i told him to stop... clearly it was rear ended. i considered it shortly, but left it and never looked back. a top quality job is unlikely since people are clearly looking to flip these cars and maximize profit... private party enthusiast and you may have something done right.

Was that the silver '99 at R-Motorsports in Baldwin Park? I just called them about that one today since the ads said "CLEAN TITLE" and then 2 sentences later said "*Salvaged*".

Just gave my final NO to the seller. His $35K is firm. I am posting this because of the special (to me) nature of this car and would love to see it stay in Socal if possible at all.
The car started its US life as a NA Honda car; it was used by US magazines (R&T, C&D, etc) for features and comparo tests. more significantly it was brought up to NSXPO99 in Monterey by our friend "Woodwork" and I had a chance to see it and drive it then.
I have just spent 2 visits checking the car up including a long session on a hoist (the car not me). The salvage/rebuilt title is one of those typical "undeserved" events. The damage is confined to the rear, the very rear but the frame seems intact. A little straightening along some seems but the killer thing about this car is that from the rear wells to the front bunper, the car is really immaculate, including the interior, one the best I have seen for a car 11 years old.

I have absolutely no financial interest in this car; in fact I found it on Craigslist too.
It is about to be shipped out of state to a guy who was considering a Corvette but has been persuaded to get something a little rarer; in other words, not an NSXer like us. Hence my hope that someone will buy it and keep it here. To be immaculate I think it will need a good $3000 of work. That would take it to almost $40K and for a "salvaged" 99, even a coupe, it is a little hard to swallow; I have never owned a salvage vehicle. But we have an NSX at home and for a second one, a keeer, I am reluctant to go for it. maybe someone else in socal is not.

I have taken many puctures and have a lot of things to say about my 3 hours checking it out and driving it. BTW, it drives really good. NO issues with the synchros, the txmission, the engine or the clutch. PM me or call me (310) 350 2454 if you want more information. I would be very happy to help. The car is in Costa mesa for a few more days.
Tino S.

Attachments

• ynsx1.jpg
    ynsx1.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 1,732
There have been a couple Kaiser Silver 1998 coupes for sale in the past year. Both were in about the same price range ($35-40K), one had known damage, the other I don't know.

Last edited:
This car has beenon autotrader for a long time. I have seen it in Costa Mesa, actually, across the street from where my wife worked when we first met.

Ok so I'm going to revive this one from the dead... LOL.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1999...ars_Trucks&hash=item565456c4bc#ht_42320wt_833

Car is listed on ebay AGAIN! I have no personal interest in this car... but did a little searching and know it's been listed on prime numerous times before with a few different accidents. Out of curiosity does anyone have or have they seen actual wrecked pics of it?

Such a shame the 1 of 1 99' yellow coupe has a shitty past.

And YES I've searched, both Prime and google.

I did find this, but this shows no major damage anywhere?

http://www.salvageautosauction.com/...SX-for-Sale/lot-10177531/San-diego-California

- - - Updated - - -

There's also this thread... but I wanna see some pics of when it was wrecked!!

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/61335-99-NSX-coupe-how-rare/page3?highlight=JH4NA2136XT000180

I honestly don't think this is all that bad of a deal at $35-40k if I were looking for a track car which is where the non-targa would shine. Then again, I am not sure how noticeable the frame repair would be on a track as I am a complete track rookie (which also pretty much makes my opinion worth less than its normal 2 cents)

I honestly don't think this is all that bad of a deal at $35-40k if I were looking for a track car which is where the non-targa would shine. Then again, I am not sure how noticeable the frame repair would be on a track as I am a complete track rookie (which also pretty much makes my opinion worth less than its normal 2 cents)

Agreed. Not to mention there was noted to be no major frame damage... and just the trunk pan area. Which is why I was hoping to see some pics of actual damage to the car, not just sitting in a salvage yard with writing on the windows. LOL

AUTOCHECK

Vehicle:
1999 Acura NSX (JH4NA2136XT000180)
Event dateLocationOdometer reading Data SourceDetails
04/09/2002 CA 30,380
Motor Vehicle Dept. ODOMETER READING FROM DMV
05/14/2002 SAN DIEGO, CA
Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE
SALVAGE
01/09/2008 CA 42,085
State Agency PASSED EMISSION INSPECTION
01/10/2008 CA 42,082
Motor Vehicle Dept. ODOMETER READING FROM DMV
01/11/2008 EL CAJON, CA
Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL
01/11/2008 EL CAJON, CA
Motor Vehicle Dept. JUNK VEHICLE
01/12/2008 EL CAJON, CA
Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL
01/23/2008 EL CAJON, CA
Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE
01/23/2008 EL CAJON, CA
Motor Vehicle Dept. JUNK VEHICLE
SALVAGE
01/23/2008 EL CAJON, CA
Motor Vehicle Dept. PRIOR SALVAGE
01/28/2010 CA 47,193
State Agency PASSED EMISSION INSPECTION
07/19/2010 SAN JOSE, CA
Police Report ACCIDENT REPORTED (Case #:102001083)
05/19/2011 HOLLYWOOD, FL
Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE (Title #:0106461503)
REBUILT/REBUILDABLE
SALVAGE
EXCLUDED/EXEMPT

<tbody>
</tbody>

Last edited:
Buying a salvaged NSX can be like marrying a hot former prostitute. You know she has a dirty past, but has cleaned up her act since and therefore should put an ear to ear smile on your face every time you go for a ride.
P.S. I would still want her to go for bloodwork aka a PPI..

Last edited:
.............on............

Like a cleaned up former prostitute until you go to sell it..........then its a dirty used up ho' all over again

So is it normal for the NA2 coupes to not have an engine brace bar? I found pictures of a Zanardi that also doesn't have one, and one that does.

The car in question:
1999Acuransx53.jpg

Below are some things I noticed with my (not so nit-picky) eyes, presented without comment.
1999Acuransx23.jpg

1999Acuransx24.jpg

1999Acuransx25.jpg

1999Acuransx26.jpg

1999Acuransx34.jpg

1999Acuransx14.jpg

Last edited:
Back