• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Dealer Info -vs- Carfax

Hello All!

Two weeks ago I purchased a 1991 NSX. I ran Carfax and it came up clean. The Title also cleared of any branded title. I went to the dealer to get a quote on timing belt and water pump service and they told me that my car was once total.

I have a couple questions:
1. Do you how where the dealer get their information from?
2. Does the dealer and Carfax have a different database of accident reporting?
3. What is the correct source?

I had alreday purchased the car and can't take it back. Can anybody help?

Did you Carfax YOURSELF? or was the dealer who gave you that, How can the dealer that gave you the quote for the TB prove that you NSX was a total? was serviced on that dealer? either way ... Carfax gives this statement ....

"GUARANTEED - None of these major title problems were reported by a state Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). If you find that any of these title problems were reported by a DMV and not included in this report, CARFAX will buy this vehicle back." and here is the link for that:

http://www.carfax.com/manifest/bbg/termsConditions.cfx

This is a bad situation, good luck and get your rights .. if dealer said it was clean yet is not .. there you have a problem, If carfax said is clean but is not, same thing ... but you must be sure you have the right source for such information ...

OScar

Yes, I ran the Carfax myself. I will try to contact the Carfax to see how what I can do. I still have a copy of the carfax report and it said Carfax buy back guarantee.

This is sucks since I waited so long to purchase an NSX and now this problem happen.

Sorry about that, see, is somehow good, is not the NSX fault, is really a problem with DMV/Carfax and the tittle .... maybe they can buy from you and that can be a good thing ... good luck .. and don't give up on the nsx, .... still what was the dealer story (the ones who said it was a total) ... how can they claim that?

OScar

1st thing is ask the dealer how they came up with that. Then proceed from there. Was there a PPI done before purchase?

Sorry about that, see, is somehow good, is not the NSX fault, is really a problem with DMV/Carfax and the tittle .... maybe they can buy from you and that can be a good thing ... good luck .. and don't give up on the nsx, .... still what was the dealer story (the ones who said it was a total) ... how can they claim that?

OScar

Thanks Bro! I am not blaming the car...NSX. I am disappointed of the finding. I always relied on the Carfax report to purchase a used car. I will definitely check with both the dealer and Carfax.

carfax is a load of bunk.

total you car, don't call the cops, get it fixed... its still a clean title like u found out.

carfax is only PART of the purchasing evaluating tool. A PPI is the only way to truly tell.

many dealers only buy 'clear" titled cars because they know people will check.

sorry to hear that you got a bad nsx. good luck next time, its definitely an expensive learning experience.

Before the rest of the forum gets their panties in a bunch about titled cars how much did you buy it for? How was is it totaled? If someone broke every window, keyed the entire car, slashed the seats it will most likely get written off. Is it any less safe than a clean titled one in this specific case? NO! It all depends on how it was totaled. And please post the purchase price because if you have a clean "looking" NSX and you bought it for say $15K then you have nothing to worry about.

... .... still what was the dealer story (the ones who said it was a total) ... how can they claim that?

OScar

I hate to quote myself but yeah, we need more info about this claim ...

If the car was totalled during the warranty period the warranty will be voided if reported to Acura. I have heard of this happening before and trying to get the "gaurantee money" from Carfax is next to impossible.

carfax is a load of bunk.

total you car, don't call the cops, get it fixed... its still a clean title like u found out.

carfax is only PART of the purchasing evaluating tool. A PPI is the only way to truly tell.

110% correct, I would bet Carfax hasn't paid a dime in buy backs since it's inception. If Carfax is clean a PPI is in order prior to purchase.

If the car was totalled during the warranty period the warranty will be voided if reported to Acura. I have heard of this happening before and trying to get the "gaurantee money" from Carfax is next to impossible.

lol if it sounds too good to be true, it always is.

in that train of thought. ALLLLLLL the black friday doorbuster dealers are too good to be true. you have 1000 people waiting out side for the three 10mp camera for 89.99 $ :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

dont leave your house today if you can.

Before the rest of the forum gets their panties in a bunch about titled cars how much did you buy it for? How was is it totaled? If someone broke every window, keyed the entire car, slashed the seats it will most likely get written off. Is it any less safe than a clean titled one in this specific case? NO! It all depends on how it was totaled. And please post the purchase price because if you have a clean "looking" NSX and you bought it for say $15K then you have nothing to worry about.

I paid $21K for the car. It is a 1991 black with 102K miles. It was the best price around when I was searching. I have not got the full details from the Dealer on the condition of the total. I will contact the dealer if they can get me a print out of the report.

I paid $21K for the car. It is a 1991 black with 102K miles. It was the best price around when I was searching. I have not got the full details from the Dealer on the condition of the total. I will contact the dealer if they can get me a print out of the report.

Any updates on your NSX? I'm interested to hear what the story is behind the dealer that claims it was totaled. :confused:

Dealers use car fax as a means of selling a car nothing more.

You have no idea of how many cars that I have seen, that have a clean car fax and have been in a major accident. For instance 2 days ago I went to look a Audi S4 that a local dealer had for sale. I was looking to trade another car from my lot. When inspecting the car I noticed some of the lines were off on the rear quarter panel and trunk. The dealer then comes out to greet me. I ask him if the car has any prior damage, he tells me, none that he knows about, and is quick to point out that it has a clean car fax. I point out that the rear quarter panel has had work done. He then asks me if I’m a dealer because a retail customer would never point that out. My point is you have to check the car over good. Car fax is useless if the accident was never reported. If they have the opertunity to get over on you most dealers will. Its BS and hurts the dealers that are legit, and try to do whats right. You can use Car fax But don’t trust it.

I'm still not clear whether you purchased this vehicle from a dealer or a private party. When I read the original post, I assumed you purchased from a private party, then brought it to a dealer for some work, and were given the bad news. Obviously if a dealer sold you the car and then turned around and leaked info about a previous total loss insurance claim, you'd have reasonable grounds to be ticked off.

As others posted, more info is needed. Did the dealer comment on the damage that led to the total loss. Also the title history? From prior reading, I recall that it is possible to wash titles in some states, but if an insurance company declared the vehicle a total loss, it would likely show up as such in databases such as carfax.

Last edited:
Back