• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Dealer wrecked my car

I had this knocking in the rear of my car. Took it in and the Subaru dealer said it was my rear shocks being blown and they'd fix it under warranty the next day. So I took it in at 1pm the following day, called at 4pm and they said they were just finishing up and taking it for a drive to make sure it was fine then they'd call me. 15 min later they call me and tell me this happened.

DSC01274-1.JPG

DSC01265.JPG

Tech had a green light (not arrow) and made a left turn in front of a F150. That guy went to the hospital for maybe a broken arm, I never heard.

I don't even know what to say. My car had just over 24000 miles on it. It is an 04. It has roughly $6k in aftermarket parts without labor. Do I give them a print out of the mods before the insurance guy comes? After? I think he's coming tomorrow to see if it's totalled. I read the thread about the 04 Blue NSX that got wrecked. I'm not sue happy so I don't want to get into unneccessary litigation if I don't have to. What should I except from them?

Can't believe this happened:frown:

But on a good note, the knocking in the back was fixed for like 10min.:confused:

That could be totalled, as it is a pretty good lick. I would be there when the adjuster looks at it and indicate you are very picky and would prefer it was totalled if in reality you want it to be.

Were it my car I would push for the total, but your course of action, and what you demand of the dealership, will depend on who owns the car - is it your car, outright? Is it financed or leased through the dealership? The most you're going to be able to hope for is to get this car totalled out, and press the dealership for an amazing deal on a similar replacement.

It seems the course of action would be to press the adjuster to get the car totalled, point out every damaged panel and demand a complete replacement, etc. and after you know how insurance will play out sit down with the general manager of the dealership, express your extreme displeasure, and suggest courses of action. There was a similar event with an M3 on a BMW forum about a year ago, the dealership tried to suggest a half-ass in-house repair of the car, which was refused, and it was necessary for the owner to bring in a lawyer, ending in an average resolution and the owner's purchase of a porsche - hopefully your situation will turn out better.

Find a lawyer right away. You should be able to sue for whatever you're out of pocket for after the insurance settlement such as deductible, aftermarket parts not being covered, etc......

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

schuey1010 said:
That car is totalled.

Right:rolleyes: ...that car would cost 30k to replace, ins companys are fixing more and more cars, I work with wrecked cars from body shops all the time the amount required to "total" a car seems to go up every year...I had to pull the motor out of a Honda Van a few months back so the body shop could replace the frame rails in the unibody...after they were done they had spent 20k fixing a van worth 23k...they saved 3k:wink: ....Unless there is frame damage under the car that cannot be seen...that Subaru will not be writen off by the insurance company.

Get a copy of the police report...I always suspect foul play when sports cars and techs are involved.

I'd personally make sure the dealership got me a new STi. A fixed wrecked one just isn't the same. :mad:

DrVolkl said:
I'd personally make sure the dealership got me a new STi. A fixed wrecked one just isn't the same. :mad:

I agree. You drove an unwrecked car in for service, you should drive an unwrecked car home.

I think you should work with the dealer to obtain an '06 at no cost to you. The bad press alone will hurt his service business. In making a claim, you run the risk that the insurance company will over value your car and under value the repairs. Then you'll be stuck with a performance car without performance, and a huge loss in valuation if and when you try to resell it. Even if they fixed your car 100%, CarFax accident data will cost you several thousand in resale losses that they won't even take into consideration.

zahntech said:
Right:rolleyes: ...that car would cost 30k to replace, ins companys are fixing more and more cars, I work with wrecked cars from body shops all the time the amount required to "total" a car seems to go up every year...I had to pull the motor out of a Honda Van a few months back so the body shop could replace the frame rails in the unibody...after they were done they had spent 20k fixing a van worth 23k...they saved 3k:wink: ....Unless there is frame damage under the car that cannot be seen...that Subaru will not be writen off by the insurance company.

You got screwed. Almost every insurance company will total a car if the damage exceeds 35-40% of the value of the car. It makes no sense to them to spend $20k to repair a $23k car - they would scrap that and make more on the metal.

LeftLane said:
You got screwed. Almost every insurance company will total a car if the damage exceeds 35-40% of the value of the car. It makes no sense to them to spend $20k to repair a $23k car - they would scrap that and make more on the metal.

Normally the figure is 60-70% I think. Unfortuantely, it sounds like Zahntach's adjuster did not get an accurate initial estimate. I will bet you $100 that there were $1000's in additional repairs authorized after the initial estimate, and once the insurannce company has already agreed to start repairs and some work has been done it can quickly go bad like that. That is also why I told the thread starter to be there and be picky. Then the adjuster will not do a quickie esitmate that overlooks $10K in repairs they will later tack on, which would have made the car a candidate to total had they been on the original estimate before work started.

LeftLane said:

I didn't get screwed..I got paid to take the motor/trans out and put it back in:smile: .....Ins companys are pushing that % higher from what I can tell..they would never total a Car at 40%, it's 60-70% Initial estimate these days.

A couple years ago I was working at a shop that was right next to a body shop and they would get cars towed in all day everyday and some would show up crumpled up into a ball and they would get fixed:eek:

If you want this car totalled your prolly gonna have to fight for it..the sugjestion that you look at it with the adjuster is a good one in that you can be really picky and that may effect the estimate and final decision..good luck with that, hope you can get what you want/is fair out of it.

Remove every mod on the car, ASAP. Even with receipts, you'll get paid pennys on dollar (first hand experience here). I had almost 5k worth of receipts and was offered $500 (headers, sways, wheels, Honda conversion, chroming, etc). Here's the reason they gave me. The value of the car is based on Kelly Blue Book (or similar tool). Unless noted by KBB, the mods add no value to the car. Say you have some HRE wheels. The only add is for alloys or chrome wheels. So, in that case, it doesn't matter if they are cheap alloys or expensive alloys, as they only add X amount of value.

A good body shop will get approval from the insurance company to do a tear down on the car to get a more accurate estimate. My 4runner that I crashed had 7k initial damage and doubled to 14k after the tear down (which by the way NEVER showed up on CarFax)

You cannot tell the insurance company to total your car. They base it only on money, not how you feel. If the value of the cars repairs exceeds 85% of the value of the vehicle, then it will get totaled (or a % they determine totals the car). In my case, my car was very close to being totaled and they decided to fix it anyways because it was about money, nothing else. The kicker? I told them I would take every Friday off to bring the car back and get the things fixed that weren't perfect, so keep the checkbook open.
My car was totaled shorty after that conversation. Proceed with a plan, not a demand.

I've totaled one car in my life and it was my fault. Luckily no other vehicles were involved for my mistake.

Having said that, mods vary depending on your agent. My State Farm agent gave me the NADA retail value for my car in addition to almost all of my mods (I had every receipt). I did have to argue with them for a couple of days before they did so.

Good luck with your case

ANYTIME said:
Remove every mod on the car, ASAP. Even with receipts, you'll get paid pennys on dollar (first hand experience here). I had almost 5k worth of receipts and was offered $500 (headers, sways, wheels, Honda conversion, chroming, etc). Here's the reason they gave me. The value of the car is based on Kelly Blue Book (or similar tool). Unless noted by KBB, the mods add no value to the car. Say you have some HRE wheels. The only add is for alloys or chrome wheels. So, in that case, it doesn't matter if they are cheap alloys or expensive alloys, as they only add X amount of value.

A good body shop will get approval from the insurance company to do a tear down on the car to get a more accurate estimate. My 4runner that I crashed had 7k initial damage and doubled to 14k after the tear down (which by the way NEVER showed up on CarFax)

You cannot tell the insurance company to total your car. They base it only on money, not how you feel. If the value of the cars repairs exceeds 85% of the value of the vehicle, then it will get totaled (or a % they determine totals the car). In my case, my car was very close to being totaled and they decided to fix it anyways because it was about money, nothing else. The kicker? I told them I would take every Friday off to bring the car back and get the things fixed that weren't perfect, so keep the checkbook open.
My car was totaled shorty after that conversation. Proceed with a plan, not a demand.

You are correct that the insurance co. looks at $$ only pretty much. The adjuster is the person you cann influence. Also, in this particular situation I think the mods and the "to total/not total" issues will be more influenced by the thread poster since the dealership needs to appease him within reason given the circumstances.

Totalled?

No way will that car be repaired. Shakes head. I worked in total loss insurance in my younger days. Not that I am "the expert" here, but that car is a write off.

Welp they bought the car from me. I got a good deal and got to keep my turbo back exhaust and a few other parts.

Now what to buy in the 25-35k range????

New sti, mr, s2k? Older M3, Z06? Decisions decisions:biggrin:

95NSXT said:
Welp they bought the car from me. I got a good deal and got to keep my turbo back exhaust and a few other parts.

Now what to buy in the 25-35k range????

New sti, mr, s2k? Older M3, Z06? Decisions decisions:biggrin:

awesome man glad it worked out ok under the special circumstances shouldnt have happend in the first place
but o well on to a new car
id say a E46 M3 or C5 Z06

kaz1116 said:
awesome man glad it worked out ok under the special circumstances shouldnt have happend in the first place
but o well on to a new car
id say a E46 M3 or C5 Z06

Those would be fast and fun but the only downside is the mileage that both of those cars would have. Most in my price range are like 01-02 with 30k+ miles. And it'd be hard to find the right M3 because I'd obviously have to get Leguna Seca blue. :biggrin:

I drove the Evo MR the other day and really liked it but I do already have a full exhaust for a new Sti and I think the suby dealer was going to, what sounded like, cut me a really good deal on a new sti. And the limited edition Sti in 07 sounds pretty nice. 400 in each color. Hmmmm

Back