• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Dell Streak in Nav Pod

I previously updated my console with In-Dash Nav, ipod and usb capability. My biggest pet peeve with the NAV was lack of regular updates compared to my smartphone running google maps. In my hometown of Toronto, where we only have two seasons, winter and construction, I found my stock NAV constantly lost in the frenzy of road updates, new subdivisions and the common downtown concrete jungle signal loss. In addition, the issue of looking for points of interest only to find them non existent upon arrival (worst when looking for gas) or not having the point of interest listed at all. Whether in town or out, I was constantly using my smartphone to assist in my search.

Reviewing the install stories on the Samsung Galaxy Tab and iPhone/iPad inspired me for this project. I was looking for a solution to fit the NAV pod and was unable to do so with the Galaxy Tab, Ipad and Blackberry Playbook.

BEHOLD...THE DELL STREAK 5 (DS for short)!!!

The DS sports a 5 inch touchscreen, 3G/wifi/blutooth and runs Android version
2.2.x with car mode.

My main requirements were:

1) Updated maps. Need I say more?

2) Reversible. I want to undo the install if my taste ever changes.

3) Clean setup. No wires sticking out and easy way to insert/remove device.

4) Use with mobile phone. DS can be used as a mobile when you insert your sim card. Also, DS can be tethered with other mobile phones or wireless hotspots.

5) Ability to play music through my existing head unit.

6) Lack of glare. Placing device in NAV pod will solve issue.

7) Mobility. Take the device with me if required. This was more of a nice-to-have.

This setup allows you to access the DS power button while installed in the Nav Pod. My headunit accepts USB so the DS is always plugged for charging and my primary device for listening to music through my speakers. It's also worth mentioning that I use the DS as my mobile phone!

I purchased a DS car mount bracket and began speaking with my CNC machine contact on mounting the device in the nav pod. As opposed to installing the DS car mount bracket on a flat mounting plate, they designed a plate to have everything molded in place.

By default, the DS turns on when it detects power via USB and turns off when the car is off. The timing is adjustable and there are various apps available to
tweak the settings further when it is in "Car Mode" (wiFi/Blutooth toggle, brightness, volume etc...)

Install was as follows:
-Remove Clock
-Remove 2 screws behind clock
-Place custom plate in NAV Pod with DS car mount bracket
-Install STMPO NAV Pod brackets to prevent pod movement while driving
-Plug DS cable into usb input located behind head unit
-Place NAV Pod in clock location
-Put the screws back in

Other features worth mentioning:

-Pair the DS with blutooth earpiece, handsfree for use with car speakers or keyboard like the logitech mini dinovo
-When the sim card is installed, the DS can become a wireless hotspot for other mobile devices
-Install Torque app to monitor OBDII car performance via pairing of blutooth OBDII sensor

I'm very happy with the result and it satisfies my requirements. I use the DS as my primary phone, therefore I take it with me wherever I go. And it looks like further integration of mobile phones in our cars is the wave of the future!

Here's some pics of the install...

Custom CNC machined aluminium mount
picture.php

picture.php

DS mounting bracket inserted with bottom tab to ensure I don't lose my charging cable!
picture.php

picture.php

Mount installed in Nav Pod with automotive glass windshield adhesive
picture.php

picture.php

Install Nav Pod in Dash. Notice the charger cable sticking out of the bottom middle...
picture.php

Ready to rock n' roll!
picture.php

This is awesome! Thanks for sharing.

Any hope that you will get an Android 4.x ICS update for the device? Is that one discontinued?

Wow, that's nice. Where did you get the mounting bracket? Got anymore? Don't know about the silver color. I think it would look more OEM in black. Have any close up pics with the Streak installed and running?

This is awesome! Thanks for sharing.

Any hope that you will get an Android 4.x ICS update for the device? Is that one discontinued?

I wish! Sadly, the phone was discontinued and a new similar device, Samsung's Galaxy Note, will have ICS.

The great thing is once I upgrage to another phone, I can still tether with this so it's not a throw away solution.

Wow, that's nice. Where did you get the mounting bracket? Got anymore? Don't know about the silver color. I think it would look more OEM in black. Have any close up pics with the Streak installed and running?

Thanks for the feedback! I had the aluminium mount custom made and plastic bracket can be bought from Dell or ebay. The pictures do no justice to the fine piece of metal, but I agree, painted in black or dark grey like the rest of the dash will look nicer.

I could have more created if there is interest, maybe make one for the iphone or other devices depending on demand.

Have you had any issues with your streak. I had went through three of those. Now using the Note!

My streak has been fine so far, what issues did you have with yours? The note looks tempting and may be my next project!

Back