• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Dilemma: sell my s2k for a NSX?

Hi everybody, my name is Johnny and I’d like to introduce myself. I've been lurking around the forums for the past 6 months because i have been looking at the NSX. I current own a modded 2001 s2000 but have had the urge to step up to the NSX. My friend has offered me $20k for my car so it would be a good opportunity to get the car I’ve always wanted. My question is to those who own both cars. If you had to choose one, what car would you choose? I understand this is a NSX forum so I’m sure there will be bias opinions. Keep in mind that i current have a accord for a DD so this would mostly be a weekend car. I want to have both but I wouldn't be able to afford them. I’m am so torn!! Heres a few pix of my current ride

bride001.jpg

DSCF3817.jpg

bride002.jpg

What a funny thread. I just listed my S2000 for sale minutes ago, and ironically its a twin to yours. Mine is yellow/Hardtop and has the Rota D2's instead of your pricey SSR's:redface: As a current NSX and S2000 for many years, the answer is simply. NSX all day, every day. Snag a 97+ and up and you'll never be happier. The driving experience is amazing, maintence is typical Honda and the fun factor is insane.:wink:

ive had 2 S2k before i got my NSX...... nsx hands down. i dont even know why i wasted my time getting ANOTHER s2k lol

I was thinking of getting an S2000 after I finished upgrading my NSX. The main advantage for the S2000, as far as a project goes, is the slew of performance parts. The NSX performance parts are relatively more expensive and parts can take a while to obtain. Both have advantages and disadvantages. If your looking for something with an awesome experience without a lot of modification, the NSX wins. If you like building up a car and are budget minded, then the S2000 is a better choice.

How about keeping both?
I agree NSX hands down but dude, just wait a bit more and who knows ... maybe you'll be able to get a NSX and still have your S2k ... 4 years ago i had the same dilemma .. decided to get a house an a reliable 10K miles S2k instead a high miles NSX etc, 4 years later i still want an NSX and i am definitely getting one in the next year ... of course 20K for your s2k is really good $$ (all these clean extras maybe?) .. i do also have those impulses of just trade my S2k and get a NA2 ... but having both could be like having sex with Jessica Biel and Jeniffer Lopez everyday ... be strong man, hold it and keep both!
good luck, and btw your S2k is CLEAN .... here is mine ...
DSC02114.jpg

Or just get the NSX ... you will be MORE happy for sure!

OScar

Iv never driven an s2k and dont believe iv ever sat or obviously rode in one but if you are torn id wait til you are completely ready to make the decision. Iv had my nsx for 4 yrs now and I love it and would never regret it. Everything happens for a reason but dont trade up until you are completely ready and theres no doubt....drive one and you may never look back but dont tease yourself.

It might be me...but I see no comparison between the two cars...I see S2Ks everywhere...if you want an exotic car, go for the NSX...hands down!

Dam:cool:

I'm not a S2K fan but I will have to admit that yours is damn clean. If your not sure about which one to keep, I would go for a test drive so at least you can experience what you are potentially going to drive the next X amount of years.

I know modding the NSX will cost quite a bit more, but after hearing some of the exhaust sound clips (GT-ONE v. 5.1), it makes me want one even more. Perhaps I will take a test drive and experience it first hand before I make any decisions.

Brother...I have a fully modded 91 NSX and she is absolutely sweet! the sound of the Dali exhaust is astounding - especially when I roar through a tunnel or underpace (definately F1 baby...lol). The NSX is a beautiful car in its original form...and many appreciate the car better this way - especially the ones that want to race the car or push it to its extremes! Please remember that the NSX should never be taken to its extremes if it has been modded...its design is perfect...and once it is changed - then the performance expectations of the car are also changed! I bought my baby fully modded - and I am one of those people who likes the NSX with wider tires, lowered suspension, louder exhaust and body kit modifications. But in turn, I do not push her to insane levels...though I did take her on the highway to BC last year and I could not keep her at the speed limit:eek: It was just too hard - for the car is just too fun and too wild to drive...I actually cut 85 minutes off my travel time touring the road with my NSX - it was not a smart thing to do...as the speeding ticket would have been blistering...but God is that car fun to drive!

Get an NSX and you will never want for another car...you may buy one if you are very rich - like a Ferrari or a Lamborghini...but the end result will be big bucks, which may not matter if you can afford it.

Dam:cool:

Yes I do have a garage for the car. I also had a question, is it hard to work on these cars? For example, the supsension, exhaust, etc...Ive done all the work myself on the s2k and rather not have other people touch my car.

If you can afford an NSX without derailing your retirement goal, then I say go for it. If you're under 25 with a not-so-clean driving record, then check your insurance premium, and then reconsider. Good luck on your decision.

If the S2k is paid off, keep the S2k, buy a early model NSX (Early NSX is not that much faster than a S2k). If lack of funding why you're selling the S2k for the NSX, don't do it. Maintenance/repair cost will shock if you're not prepared. If you are selling the S2k for a later model NSX (Perhaps 02+), you should be ok.

If you own both,
You will be driving the S2k more.

Previously owned:
2001 S2k
1995 NSX
2006 S2k

Currently:
2003 NSX
2008 S2kCR

I love both car, can't live without both:wink:

If the S2k is paid off, keep the S2k, buy a early model NSX (Early NSX is not that much faster than a S2k). If lack of funding why you're selling the S2k for the NSX, don't do it. Maintenance/repair cost will shock if you're not prepared. If you are selling the S2k for a later model NSX (Perhaps 02+), you should be ok.

If you own both,

Previously owned:
2001 S2k
1995 NSX
2006 S2k

Currently:
2003 NSX
2008 S2kCR

this is one time i agree with Vancehu 100%

Personally I don't find the s2k to be anything special. I haven't driven one but it seems like just a Honda Miata to me. Nobody is going to say "OMG, an s2k!" when they see it going down the street. The fact that you already have a daily driver makes the decision that much easier. :biggrin:

Yes I do have a garage for the car. I also had a question, is it hard to work on these cars? For example, the supsension, exhaust, etc...Ive done all the work myself on the s2k and rather not have other people touch my car.

Things like suspension and exhaust aren't that hard I don't think. I had a few problems with my suspension because I've never done it before but exhaust should be easy except for those damn bolts :mad:.

Stephen

Personally I don't find the s2k to be anything special. I haven't driven one but it seems like just a Honda Miata to me. Nobody is going to say "OMG, an s2k!" when they see it going down the street. The fact that you already have a daily driver makes the decision that much easier. :biggrin:

umm.. get ready for some flame! "Honda Miata" Are you kidding?! :eek:
I sold my S2k and regrett it to this day.

S2k + NSX is perfect combo. S2k for every day and low maintenance costs, NSXs when you want to be special/weekend etc.. Track wise, S2k stock is excellent and does EXTROARDINARY well. You can track that on a regular basis, and take the NSX out when you really want.

Put an S2k in a good drivers hands, and it will lap average NSX's all day long.

Keep the S2k. Save the money, get a loan on the NSX but don't trade. Especially if you have a clean one!

Oh yeah - get rid of the Accord instead :smile:

:biggrin: .... that was funny .. I agree, about the "miata" comparo, to put in prospective my boss own a Carrera and still my coworkers like my car a lot and they all think it's expensive and sexy .. i think is the fact that some early S2k's are in very bad shape and those look beat up but a miata?

Oscar

4 s2k's for me. 2 AP1's and 2 AP2's. My NSX is the best thing i have ever decided to do. I love s2000's and they are very fun, but it doesn't even compare. Also, if you broke down the cost per year to own the car, and im talking in a depreciation sense, the s2000 fails miserably since the nsx is one of the only vehicles that barely loses value at all if not go up some. It's about as much of an investment as a car can get. I saw 6 s2000's yesterday in a span of about 30 minutes. Used to be more of a rarity, but now it seems like they are just as plentiful as any other car out there. The looks, the comments, and the overall driving experience just don't compare. If you CAN then you SHOULD. Oh yeah, my insurance actually went down. :biggrin:

If you own both,

Previously owned:
2001 S2k
1995 NSX
2006 S2k

Currently:
2003 NSX
2008 S2kCR

Right with ya man!

Why do you need anyone to acknowledge what you drive?? The S2K especially the CR is all about the drive:biggrin:

Just drive one when you get a chance .... especially on a track

umm.. get ready for some flame! "Honda Miata" Are you kidding?! :eek:
I sold my S2k and regrett it to this day.

S2k + NSX is perfect combo. S2k for every day and low maintenance costs, NSXs when you want to be special/weekend etc.. Track wise, S2k stock is excellent and does EXTROARDINARY well. You can track that on a regular basis, and take the NSX out when you really want.

Put an S2k in a good drivers hands, and it will lap average NSX's all day long.

Keep the S2k. Save the money, get a loan on the NSX but don't trade. Especially if you have a clean one!

Yeah I've seen it happen. Both are really great cars and both have excellent driving dynamics. The drive is different NSX is flat and stable compared to the S2K agility and lightness.

Back