• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Disappointed

Its 11:59PM 1/19/2012 and there is no one talking about SOPA/PIPA or the blackouts.

A better one:
http://theoatmeal.com/
sopa.gif

OK I understand the issue now, but is the only solution to stop this is to write a letter to congress? I've never done it before, it sounds complicated and does it even get read?

OK I understand the issue now, but is the only solution to stop this is to write a letter to congress? I've never done it before, it sounds complicated and does it even get read?

Pretty much our only options are to contact our government representatives to let them know we dislike something and to organize protests. Outside of that, we can create a lobby group against it (lol), or wait until it passes into law then try to fight it in court (lol).

Is it complicated? Your particular representatives should have publicly available information on how to contact them. The rest is just writing a letter, the more formal the better. As for getting read, well... thats a great question. My guess is the likelihood of it getting noticed is directly proportional to how much pull your letterhead represents... or the amount of letters (or general contact) that are incoming on a particular subject.

Support from online providers is growing for the dismissal of the legislation. In the end, big-money always wins. But what do you expect in a capitalist republic?

OK I understand the issue now, but is the only solution to stop this is to write a letter to congress?

It's the best most direct start.
Call and write them every day until it's not an issue anymore.
It is making a difference. Something like 3 people in congress were against it Tuesday, and 33 today.

The second way, people should stop supporting companies that support it.
We should all take a year off from going out to movies, etc.

I've never done it before, it sounds complicated and does it even get read?

Use google's petition or eff(electronic frontier foundation). Takes 2 seconds:
https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/
http://blacklist.eff.org/

Last edited:
Wow, this is where we're at in our world :rolleyes:. This is what our government is worried about? Ranks right up there with..... oh nevermind.:rolleyes:

I was afraid the "Government" might black out Prime based on where this forum might go.

You know how it is. It's one of those "Who drunk the last of the Orange Juice and left the empty container in the fridge" type of conversation with the only approved type of response is a awkward eye contact and a half nod.

I was afraid the "Government" might black out Prime based on where this forum might go.

Laws like SOPA would kill internet forums. No way around that.
The risk of jail and lawsuits would make internet forums cost prohibitive and not worth the risk.

reminds me of another war:

The war on drugs: FAILED.

This is really no different. Supply is going no where and neither is the demand. Shut down one site and 30 others are there to replace it...

The issue is not SOPA. It's the mentality of these so-called masterminds in power to solve every problem with more government. Every increase in rules and regulations results in a decrease of freedom. And every rule & regulation has a stated purpose that sounds good, and a true purpose that is never very good. Government assures us that new laws will be carried out for the good of society, yet grandma's being strip-searched at the airport. To what end?

Let's put it another way. Under present copyright law, the US Dept of Justice (doing the bidding of the MPAA and others) was able to reach out to another sovereign country (New Zealand) and have citizens (Megaupload execs) of other countries (Finland, Germany) arrested on foreign soil, on charges brought in Virginia against a corporation based in yet another sovereign jurisdiction (Hong Kong). Seems to me the present law is just fine for prosecuting copyright infringement.

Let's put it another way. Under present copyright law, the US Dept of Justice (doing the bidding of the MPAA and others) was able to reach out to another sovereign country (New Zealand) and have citizens (Megaupload execs) of other countries (Finland, Germany) arrested on foreign soil, on charges brought in Virginia against a corporation based in yet another sovereign jurisdiction (Hong Kong). Seems to me the present law is just fine for prosecuting copyright infringement.

I agree with you - why do we even need SOPA if they can already do everything they need to do already? What is in SOPA that we're not seeing? There's probably tons of additional BS that gets lumped into the law books along with the overall "law"........ :rolleyes:

Back