• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Discontinued tire frustration and long waits

Have used Direzza's for going on 10 years, and now find out at change time (Don's proactive strike at 5 years) that most of the tires that fit my stock 96T are either discontinued or not expected until May or June, and perhaps will not be produced. Using the 16-205's on the front and 17-245's on the rear, as many of the 215's have been discontinued by Dunlop and others since '13.

Average aggressive driving and leaving people in the dust, but not tracking, just enjoying the ride.

Would appreciate any thoughts, don't want to change stock wheels. Thanks much in advance.
Don

Have used Direzza's for going on 10 years, and now find out at change time (Don's proactive strike at 5 years) that most of the tires that fit my stock 96T are either discontinued or not expected until May or June, and perhaps will not be produced. Using the 16-205's on the front and 17-245's on the rear, as many of the 215's have been discontinued by Dunlop and others since '13.

Average aggressive driving and leaving people in the dust, but not tracking, just enjoying the ride.

Would appreciate any thoughts, don't want to change stock wheels. Thanks much in advance.
Don

When I need to replace mine I am going with Falken rt660. They come in 215/45/16 and 245/40/17.

Anyone out there using the Continentals?
Thanks in advance,
D

I'm surprised in this world of tech disruption that tire making has not gone the way of beds/watches/glasses/clothes/ect....

150 miles on the Extreme Contact Continentals 6+

Anyone out there using the Continentals?
Thanks in advance,
D

Feeling better as we put more mileage on these babies. Starting to hit the turns and cloverleafs a little more aggressively and no slip to date. Temps in the 90's helping to soften the tread.
Perhaps I'm not hitting the right foot hard enough in 2nd.
Grins,
Don

I’m considering the conti’s. What sizes are you running?

205/45ZR-16 front and 245/40ZR-17. Takes a little time and mileage to get used to the difference between them and my original Bridgestones and Direzzas. The 90 degree days have given me a little more confidence. This is first set of all season tires on the Dragon Lady.
D

Interesting thread. I was at Discount Tire today (Kirkland, WA) hoping to replace my 13 year old OEM tires (still have plenty of grip but the fronts do have flat spots. UV protection has generally been good so the tires still look to be in good shape). I was hoping to order the Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 (205/45/R16 front and 245/40/R17 rear) but was told that they would refuse to install the fronts for me since the load index was 83 and the OEM's were 86. So my question is: Where are owners getting their Continentals installed if they are choosing this route? Would the Tire Rack recommended installer put them onto for me if I ordered them via TR? I'm not worried about the load index since 83 is rated at over 1000 lbs and my NSX will never get close to having this kind of weight in it.

Interesting thread. I was at Discount Tire today (Kirkland, WA) hoping to replace my 13 year old OEM tires (still have plenty of grip but the fronts do have flat spots. UV protection has generally been good so the tires still look to be in good shape). I was hoping to order the Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 (205/45/R16 front and 245/40/R17 rear) but was told that they would refuse to install the fronts for me since the load index was 83 and the OEM's were 86. So my question is: Where are owners getting their Continentals installed if they are choosing this route? Would the Tire Rack recommended installer put them onto for me if I ordered them via TR? I'm not worried about the load index since 83 is rated at over 1000 lbs and my NSX will never get close to having this kind of weight in it.

Take the front wheels off the car and bring them into any tire place to have them put on.

Replaced my street tires recently and after watching many tire tests chose Nankang NS-2's on 18" and 19". Left them on for the very first Suzuka NSX Club Japan track meeting as Honda has stopped holding the events. Four cars were chauffeured around behind a very fast new Honda Civic Type R as we were in the fast group which all had the usual Yokohama ADO8R's. The Nankangs were more than a match for all and I found them very easy to understand and smooth at the limit. Treadwear was 320 compared with the other cars at 200. In the pits the tread was hand warm with no visible sliding marks. Previously I was using Direzza which were overheating after 7 laps. Might try Nankang NS-2R - 120 treadwear on my 17" and 18" wheels next time.

Last 4 tire changes, ordered from Tire Rack, and had my Acura Dealer Mungenast, St. Louis, install the tires and align the car. Ran the Conti's past them, as I appreciate their exquisite knowledge and service. The guys, whom I have done business with are a part of what I consider to be the #1 Acura dealer in the country. 29 years with the Acura best award, and we've been doing business with them since we bought our first Legend in 1986. NSX experience goes back to the beginning, not only with Acura, but also with racing, and SOS in the very early force fed days.

Last edited:
Back