• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Do you feel safe in your NSX?

OK, I finaly received my car, and I drove it down a few streets (not registered yet, so I put off serious driving). This car is a blast. But its soooooooooooooo low!!! I mean I knew it was low, but you just have no idea until a camry pulls up next to you and you turn your head and are staring into its calipers. I feel like I am right on the ground.

Its disconcerting. Next to an escalade, I feel like in a crash I would be dead. I just am uneasy with the super low height. Is this car safe?!! It feels like in a crash with a big a SUV a car that is this low and weighs 3000 pounds is not the best place to be.

15 year old design with no side or curtain airbags does nothing to ease my anxienty.

When you guys are in traffic, and all other cars are towering over you, do you feel safe? Is this something will get used to? I am really uncomfortable in traffic right now.

You just have to be more aware of what is going on. You cant automatically expect people to know youre there. After a while you will get used to the feeling. Think of it this way, you can be fairly certain that you can maneuver out of someones way or brake faster than most cars on the road.

I drive my NSX much like I used to ride my motorcycle. Assume they don't see you and drive accordingly. For the most part, this means I don't loiter in others blind spots.

Don't worry about it. The NSX has proven to be keep the occupants safe when in an accident. Besides, we're not the only low cars out there. Imagine all the other imports who slam their cars to the ground, much lower than ours.

As others have stated above, yes, you're vulnerable, and yes in any small car vs a SUV you're more vulnerable than you'd be in a big ass SUV. But....obvioulsy you'd prefer to be in a sports car, so drive accordingly. Stay out of blind spots, drive defensively, when in doubt... give a little toot on the horn to make sure the other driver is aware of your presence. I know of many owners who have had their cars for many years and are accident free. I've had my car a little over 3 years and 25,000 miles and the only accidents (knock on wood) that have occured around it are other cars, some watching the NSX instead of traffic around them. As you get used to the car, you'll gain confidence, and the enjoyment of driving one of the finest cars on the road. The car is a blast, you've planned many upgrades, make sure you have the car ready by the July Kids Day at the Glen, it's among the best fun you can have, putting a smile on kids' faces and your own in the process!!!!:cool:

I drive with my hand covering the horn! When I need to pass, I pass fast and NEVER hover next to any car big or small. I also try to be out front at all times. So yeah, I feel pretty safe in my car.

You think its low now Turbo, just wait till the coilovers go in!

What will make your car safer is a harness bar and some harnesses.

I like the loud exhaust idea too.

Glad youve got it - its been too long in coming.

Congrats.

Yay Boston.

Definitely at night, you just have to watch out for people driving cause they might not see you. Watch out for semi trucks or big vehicles that might not be able to see you. You'll get use to it after awhile, it just takes time.

Last edited:
Don't sit beside people... And never merge into their blind spots.

Like said above, just drive it like a motorcycle. Assume everyone out there is out to kill you, and you'll do just fine!

Turbo

I was just as surprised by how low it is when I first drove it.

I'm just echoing the same sentiments said before. Drive as though other people are idiots and can't see you. I think all cars should be like this so that people will actually concentrate on driving versus eating and driving or talking on the phone and driving.

At the same time, I love how connected to the road I feel in this car.

Side air bags are more for roll overs.
I'm not trying to be wise, but maybe this car isn't for you. You may be more at ease in a Porsche Cayenne Turbo.

Most SUV drivers, or taller cars for that matter, will not see you coming from behind. Some drivers don't see you even if you're right next to them. Remembering way back, my motorcycle instructor told me to think defensively and drive offensively. Always assume that you're invisible but not invincible. Make every effort to be seen and heard.

I, for one, turn on my HID fog lights whenever I drive. Painted my car to a bright agressive color. Put on a loud yet legal exhaust and double clutch to a stop at every light. Hopefully if they don't see me coming, they will at least hear me coming.

Best Regards
Paul

PS: Enjoy your new ride. Once you get use to her, you'll never look back.

Look forward and drive. Look in the mirror to see who's behind. A guy afraid of heights shouldn't look down. You're afraid of other vehicles..... don't look over. Better yet, if they're all eating your exhaust, then I hope you're coordinated enough not to hit a wall or crash into the lane next to you! :):):)

My 2 cents.

Last edited:
Maybe people overhere drive differently than in the US.
There are also less SUV-like vehicle's. But still, in the NSX, you are (much) lower to the ground and you have to remember that some people will not see you coming up behind them. I have had people come to the left just when I was in the process overtaking them.
However, when in a crash I am not too worried about the safety of the NSX.
I have unfortunately crashed my car at 85-90 mph on the track and although the car was heavily damaged, the monocoque structure was (is) still sound. If you ever have the chance to see the structural beams of the NSX just compare them to those of an Audi of BMW. You will be surprised at the difference between them.
Personally, I have come to believe that adding an ever increasing number of (side)airbags to a car instills an unjustified sense of security to people.

bodypainter said:
I drive my NSX much like I used to ride my motorcycle. Assume they don't see you and drive accordingly. For the most part, this means I don't loiter in others blind spots.

Ditto that. Drive it like everyone else is out to run you over. Also run with your lights at dusk. My car was black, I got "pushed" a few times at early dusk. Enjoy the ride

As if the car's performance wasn't enough to make my palms sweaty, not you guys are all telling me "drive like no one sees you"... man this really is going to be an adventure. Someone please calm my fears by telling me at least in a crash this thing is strong?

I used to run pretty fast in my Supra sometimes but I had a full rollcage and 6-point harnesses, and that made me feel safe.

Once I was out at 5:00 am with a friend on a stretch of open clear highway attempting a high speed run and of course I got pulled over before I even broke 55. The cop saw me wearing my helmet strapped in with a harness and a rollcage and wondered what was up. I had a hard time explaining why I had my helmet on... but he let me go and I decided its best to just go home.

I don't really want a rollcage in my NSX, I can't be telling girls in skirts to lift their leg up and over the side bar...

I guess I will get used to it. Thanks for the feedback.

pbassjo said:
Side air bags are more for roll overs.
I'm not trying to be wise, but maybe this car isn't for you. You may be more at ease in a Porsche Cayenne Turbo.

No man I have had sports cars all my life. This one is just ultra low. I like the NSX's effeciency and don't want to trade it for a 11 MPG air polluting Cayenne Turbo as nice as that car is.

Side air bags are for side impacts... Can't believe they still couldn't retro that into the NSX even by 2005.

FYI, in the U.S., Mercedes raises the S class and the CL 1" over the european S and CL. When I made inquiries about this (it was my previous car), they told me it makes a difference in crashes and for the US market it was an improved safety factor. I guess those guys didn't drive NSX's.

I agree that it sits very low but, for me, personally feel safer because I have more control of the car. You have to be a defensive driver, for a fact.
Even before I got my nsx, I was a defensive driver, meaning, I just assume most drivers dont' pay attention to the road so I just make sure, I don't give them any chances. DO NOT BE IN ANYONE's BLIND SPOT. :cool: Especially big cars.
I tried to have space on both side of the lane.

I actually feel safer in the NSX than an SUV, b/c i can maneuver out of the way much safer than sitting in an SUV that rolls at the drop of a hat. I have witnessed an SUV flip easily while trying to avoid an accident. Driving defensive is a must considering all the women driving and talking on their cell phones.

pelletz said:
I actually feel safer in the NSX than an SUV, b/c i can maneuver out of the way much safer than sitting in an SUV that rolls at the drop of a hat. I have witnessed an SUV flip easily while trying to avoid an accident. Driving defensive is a must considering all the women driving and talking on their cell phones.

Whoa!! Women drivers??? I'd say the "bad driver club" is pretty equally divided between the sexs. Most of my "close encounters" on the roads have been with either very old, very young males, or very distracted (or simply not paying attention for whatever reason) drivers... gender not being a factor, from a statistical sense, except for the very young catagory.

Having spent 10 years doing high performance DEs and doing some instructing, I can tell you that 90% of the driver's on the road don't have a clue! Which is a good thing to remember when you're diving your car or if you're thinking about improving your skills by participating in a DE event.... it will be the best $ and time you can spend for many reasons.

Veleno said:
Don't worry about it. The NSX has proven to be keep the occupants safe when in an accident. Besides, we're not the only low cars out there. Imagine all the other imports who slam their cars to the ground, much lower than ours.

Their drop may be lower than ours but there are few cars that have a roofline as low as the NSX's stock and definitely not when lowered.

Back