• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Do you think the new NSX will be as Timeless as the original?

The first time I saw an NSX I was a kid and my jaw was on the floor. I was in awe, it was a similar feeling I'd had looking at only one other car at the time, the Countache S.

Since that day, I really haven't had that same level of awe for any car that I can think of... I don't know if it's me or the cars. But the NSX was at the top of the charts for me in terms of looks alone, nevermind the engineering.

The avengers car is cool but it's not the same feeling. Is anyone "moved" by that car? At best it's cool. I don't think even the same Honda designers with the same agenda can repeat. Just like many bands write a one hit wonder and can't repeat. It's a very difficult thing to do.

Maybe I'm too in love with my current wife but the new one would have to have the look of something like an Aventador, performance on par or better than a 458, be made of some exotic material like titanium, and sell for under 150K. Then I'd say I might get the same feeling.

Back then Acura was at the top of the charts with brilliant cars like the original legend coupe... It was a AAA name while infiniti had these zen ads no one got and lexus a baby. Mazda was thinking of doing Pegasus, and there were no Koreans around. Now the Acura brand is lost in the weeds and is going to drag the NSX down. Or have the NSX lift them up.

I think in 5-6 years we will see a killer NSX that will look sexy as hell, be fast, a bargain, and redefine its segment. And it will be made by KIA. I'd trade those designers for Honda's in a flash.

Maybe I'm too in love with my current wife but the new one would have to have the look of something like an Aventador, performance on par or better than a 458, be made of some exotic material like titanium, and sell for under 150K. Then I'd say I might get the same feeling.

When I was a kid my first love was a 70 Firebird (white/blue) with the ram air intake. When I bought my 94 Formula Firebird new, I was looking at the NSX. 10 years later when I bought the NSX, I was looking at Lamborghinis.

I want the Aventador, it just looks incredible, and it seems like Lambo has finally moved into the new era of sports cars. But my ultimate desire is the Pagani Zonda of course.

Yes, new cars move me, but the ones that do always seem to be outside my pay grade. :mad: It gives a person something to strive for. :biggrin:

You forgot the F40? For me that car still looks the best after more than 20 years. Just don't look at the spartan interior though.

The first time I saw an NSX I was a kid and my jaw was on the floor. I was in awe, it was a similar feeling I'd had looking at only one other car at the time, the Countache S.

Since that day, I really haven't had that same level of awe for any car that I can think of... I don't know if it's me or the cars. But the NSX was at the top of the charts for me in terms of looks alone, nevermind the engineering.

The avengers car is cool but it's not the same feeling. Is anyone "moved" by that car? At best it's cool. I don't think even the same Honda designers with the same agenda can repeat. Just like many bands write a one hit wonder and can't repeat. It's a very difficult thing to do.

I was at the dealer today asking questions. First thing the manager said was..."No way it will be priced over 100k. Probably closer to 90k. Then he said...Minimum of 2 1/2 to 3 years before it hits production. He did say it will resemble the Avenger movie car BUT not so exotic looking as the original NSX more of a larger coupe.(GTR)"

Uhhhh....that's not what I'm looking for and if that is the case...I think the original NSX design will become even more sought after.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Since that day, I really haven't had that same level of awe for any car that I can think of....

Did you forget about the day you saw a Zonda???

Tapaderp

I don't even think zondas are great looking. Exotic, but not pretty. Those little headlights don't do it for me.

For the past 10 years or some I've been the same way. Perhaps its just me, but there hasn't been a car that gives me that WOW factor since(maybe except the e39 M5). There are some really nice modern cars these days, but ironically the manufacturer that catches my attention is Hyundai/Kia. I feel crazy saying that but watching their learning curve and how well they execute new production models blows me away.

I would be happy to drive any of these modern cars, R8, GTR, Gallardo, etc but there's just something I cant put my finger on but they just aren't "special" enough. I like them, but I don't love them.:tongue:

I think this new car might make ours worth more. Before you know it there will be no more gear box to shift and driving will be like a video game. i own the 2 best drivers cars honda ever produced and cars of my time. S2000 and Nsx

Turbo2Go, I was equally enamoured by the first NSX when I saw it. I remember my brother and I would go to the local Acura and press our faces up on the window to get a glimpse of a red NSX that featured in the showroom. I completely understand that unique feeling you experience when you first gazed up the smooth lines of the NSX. Even today, I get the same giddy feeling when I look at the red beauty and slip into its seat.

Regarding, the new "NSX", I haven't gotten the same emotional reaction personally, but I think it is because it doesn't seem real (just a concept). I will hold off on final commentary until after seeing what the Detroit auto show displays.

I wish Honda came up with the 458 Italia design.

It looks sooo much like an evolution of the old HSC Concept. Imagine the 458 with a blacktop (There are quite a few), the HSV headlights and a slightly different taillight arrangement with an integrated wing.

That and the HSV V10 engine under the bonnet. :biggrin:

I'll remain hopeful but wait for the final product before judging. The concept shows some real hope, I like the outline. It sure seems difficult to create a timeless design nowadays. So many designs look alike in profile from 100 feet or like an angry insect or sea monster from the front. I can picture the McLaren F1 in my mind at any angle but can't really fully picture a MP4 12C...

I hope no real-world packaging concerns start to bulge the proportions. I remember seeing the 1994 clays of the Mustang which were much lower to the ground and wider than the final production product; the clays looked awesome, the final product looked a bit clunky by comparison when its proportions got pushed up and out. Not too scared of the wheels - probably smart to not put out their best design 3 years ahead of time and let it get borrowed away. But it's very refreshing to see restraint from fake fender vents and crazy sheetmetal creases. Back to the 90's! Or what's old is now new again! The beak is less pronounced than I feared, and if they lessen it even further and keep everything generally simple, there's hope that the design could be classic. It's been said many times here - the blandness (at the time) of the original is perhaps now its strength.

Not sure if this belongs here but here's my wish list, for when I buy a used one in 10 years :)

-Keep the design details simple and focus on a unique silhouette
<O:p-Sub 3,250 weight<O:p</O:p
-Similar expansive, non-claustrophobic cockpit view like gen-1. No steeply raked windshield and deep dash a la 93-97 GM F-body<O:p</O:p
-Develop it with a charismatic racer<O:p</O:p
-Make the infotainment system modular so it can be updated when the hardware/interface is frustratingly out of date in 10 years<O:p</O:p
-6 speed. Until my paycheck relies on my ability to stay in front, I'm not sold on flappy paddles. Also don't need 7+ speeds and to be constantly rowing.<O:p</O:p
-Supportive seats but with replaceable bits (bolsters)
-No hard carbon/plastic/wood steering wheel segments<O:p</O:p
-Paint the engine boot & bonnet black to more easily rationalize 7 year itch paint changes

I enjoyed the build-up and today's reveal. It's nice to have something interesting to look forward to while at the same time it hasn't lessened my desire for a gen-1. I'll be heading to the auto show likely Friday the 20th. Van Halen and the NSX returns in 2012. A good year so far !<O:p</O:p

I was at the dealer today asking questions. First thing the manager said was..."No way it will be priced over 100k. Probably closer to 90k. Then he said...Minimum of 2 1/2 to 3 years before it hits production. He did say it will resemble the Avenger movie car BUT not so exotic looking as the original NSX more of a larger coupe.(GTR)"

Uhhhh....that's not what I'm looking for and if that is the case...I think the original NSX design will become even more sought after.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I totally agree with his price prediction especially in lieu of the American made revelation. Plus it's still a V6 and it's parts sharing. Gonna be a great car if you loved the original.

After seeing the Stark car and reading all the opinions of what it may look like.. do you think the new NSX successor will be as timeless in design as the original?

The answer is a HELL NO, NO WAY but of course you will have those that will say only time will tell.

My 91' is still getting a thumbs up, most everywhere i go, people still think it's a 2000 + or newer & then there is my 00', it gets a biggggg biggg thumbs up for sure, on lookers at the pump thinks that it just came out this year...LOL...

The original NSX is an amazing car, with amazing looks and amazing technology.

The new NSV (I refuse to call it an NSX) is an over-styled, modern sports car that looks great at a first glance. But I fear due to its over-styling, and very "contemporary" external shape and angles, it will actually age very quickly.

It looks great right now because it's the first time we're really seeing it. I feel after seeing it on the road for a year or two, it's going to age very quickly, and will seem "old" after auto styling moves on from the angular shapes. It will not be as classic or timeless as the original NSX.

Last edited:
as someone born in the 70's only four cars have stole my heart since childhood...In chronological order-

1. Speed Racer
2. Black and gold Firebird Trans Am from "Smokey and the Bandit"
3. NSX
4. 458

The new concept is nice, but it isn't a heart stopper....

Threads like this...
It's reminds me of shopping with my wife and the questions she asks about stuff she's trying on.
Now I have a response to "do you like the way this looks?" I can say "it looks timeless". :biggrin:

Threads like this...
It's reminds me of shopping with my wife and the questions she asks about stuff she's trying on.
Now I have a response to "do you like the way this looks?" I can say "it looks timeless". :biggrin:

I like it. I use - "Honey you are so gorgeous no one will ever look twice at what you're wearing."

On the topic of the thread, the answer is No. The first is always special.
Think of the classics, Corvette, 911, Mustang, Lambo.

Back