• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Do you trust your mechanic?

When you bring your car to a garage or dealership, are you afraid what they will do to your car rather fixing it? It has happened to this guy and this time he had the hidden voice recorder in the door pocket.

Would this be good enough to proof in the court of laws besides damages, but also pain and suffering?

How many people here would trust their mechanics to fix their NSX's?

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motora...s-abusing-car-scheming-damages-152707580.html

I do as much work myself as possible.

I needed a tech inspection for the HPDE NSXPO event. I took it to a dealer. They found an inner tie rod loose. I changed it myself and returned for the rest of the tech inspection and alignment. The mechanic removed the front wheel to check my work. When the car was returned the front wheel lug nuts were loose and the wheel alignment was completed with a loose wheel!
Big liability on their part. I was pissed. This is simple stuff. Asked for a re-alignment.
So to answer your question.... No.

Honestly I use to trust at an extent. After experiencing what I have gone through on my build while I was away it will take quite a bit to earn my trust with my cars. The final result of what I had achieved would have taken the shop longer at the rate he was moving. This is supposedly a reputable place and vendor. Never ever again!!!:mad:

As Warren stated, "Do the work yourself" well if you can.

To answer OP's questions, I do. If you do your research you will minimize the chances of a bad experience.

I think there's a difference between trusting your mechanic and trusting a dealership full of mechanics you don't know. I've only taken my car to the Acura dealer twice since I bought it, the rest of the time it goes to my independent mechanic.

I trust my mechanic, been using him for over seven years. I would bet large that he doesn't abuse my car.

I trust my mechanic. If its something I cant figure out, he will figure it out and call me and ask me if I want to do the work or if I want him to do the repair. Gotta love that.

I've only taken my car to Acura once as we'll. the tech that worked on my car txt'ed pics of progress he has made on my NSX. He is also well known on a local forum as well. I trust him, but wouldn't take the car to just any mechanic.

My Acura dealer has a master mechanic who's been there forever. I trust him 100%. If he wasn't there I would sell my car.
Getting my 66 Mustang or beater Ford ranger worked on. HA. Everyone sucks. I currently have a local tire shop work on my ranger. They do a better job than the ford dealer.

Would this be good enough to proof in the court of laws besides damages, but also pain and suffering?

I never heard of seeking damages for pain and suffering for 2nd and 3rd degree burns to tires and wrongful death of a clutch but I guess to each his own....

Do I trust my mechanic? You bet... but I know he's only human. I try to do most work myself, but the "heavy" or "messy" stuff I leave to him (Don at Hill Top)... he's looked after the car for way over a decade and I highly recommend him.

I am fortunate to have LarryB be my mechanic. How can you not trust someone with these work coveralls.......

i-bVh8DVc-M.jpg

I used to. I worked at a dealership, and knew most of the mechanics well enough to buy them a beer after work, and hear stories. For the most part those guys were just there to do a job, it didn't matter to them what they were working on because they had seen the cars when new as well as various states of age, condition and or disrepair. We had an NSX or two come through our shop, as well as S2000s and other "fast cars" that came through our used dept (Corvettes, Z28s, WS6 Trans Ams, various Mustangs as well as some fast Germans ect). I never saw or heard of anything going on with customer cars.

I took my Integra GSR to a Honda shop in Moon Township near Pittsburgh. My Uncle was working sales there, and got me a family price on new rotors and brakes. I was visiting with my Uncle while he smoked a cigarette outside when I heard the distinctive sound of my GSR (header, cat back exhaust), wide open VTEC- I looked over to see my car bombing down Beer School Rd. at twice the speed limit.

I walked around the shop and saw the guy bringing the car back in- The culprit was the dealers car prep. "all washed up for you" he said

"And slightly wrung out?" was my reply, followed by what I had just seen him doing with my car on the road. His manager wasn't much older than he was, and I doubt my complaints went much further than passing through his ears, but I let him have it pretty good.

No harm done in this instance, but ever since that day I don't really trust to leave my cars while they are serviced. I prefer to wait.

I do not trust them. I semi trust 'personal mechanics.' I have a buddy I know in the sport bike community who I have work on my bike I do not have the time/skills to do it myself (like put tires on). I double check his work but wouldn't have him do it in the 1st place if I didn't trust him. If the wheel falls off at 80mph that is likely the end of the story.

Same deal with cars. A good friend is now in finance but was an ASE master tech for 6-8 years. I like him because he'll call and ask me if he isn't 100% sure about something. Regular shops don't have that flexibility because they'll get screamed at and people expect them to know everything. Often I know more than the tech because it's the only issue I have to worry about and have time to thoroughly research it - they do not have that luxury and I realize that.

Sooner or later a regular shop will screw you over; just a matter of time and it may be on accident (don't tighten drain plug sufficiently, etc.)

I trust Larry B as far as I can throw him..............and thats a lot:biggrin:

Yes, I trust my mechanic, absolutely. But he worked on my NSX since it was new. If I didn't already have a mechanic for an NSX, I would ask around here and find out which one in my geographical area is the most trustworthy. I wouldn't just drive into any dealer for complicated NSX service work (timing belt, clutch) and assume that they're up to the task. For routine work (brakes, fluid changes, tires) I might, but not the big stuff.

I trust my mechanic 100% and then some. He's worked on tons of my cars over the years from Euro to Japanese and also was present at my wedding.

He's more of a family friend and I trust his advice and diagnostic skills. But he is human just like myself so if mistakes are made, he makes it right and that is all I can ask. I've left my cars at his place for weeks at at time and never worry about it. Him and I both share the same philosophy on treating people right the first time around.

But of course if you are dealing with a large dealership this is much harder since you have 20 different people like porters, car wash, mechanics, service writers, etc. This is why I never take my cars to dealerships for service. I know my brother prefers a dealership since he gets free loaners (LEXUS) and he has "official" service records but I prefer to deal with a one-on-one basis.

I also use Larry B for my NSX.....the best. As for my day to day mechanic I do, in fact, trust him. The E brake on my Tundra was not working well so I tried to fix it myself. Long story short is that I made it too tight and the brake was engaged. I could not figure out how to back it off so I brought the truck in and explained the problem. The truck had about 75k on it and the rear brakes were the originals so I was fully expecting to have a complete rear brake job. When I picked up the truck they had just adjusted the brake and told me that I had a bit of life left on my brakes. I really appreciated that. They are hard to find but when you do find an honest one they tend to be very busy because of word of mouth.

i try to do as much work as i can on my nsx, but if its too complicated ill take it to larry b.

i do not trust honda shops in nj at all.

im actually long due for a visit to larry

if youre reading this... i finally solved my annoying misfiring problem. it came back after you fixed my little grounding problem... but somehow seafoam fixed it permanently

Last edited:
First and foremost, you need to establish a relationship with your mechanic. He needs to really know how you feel about your car and that you have chosen him and not anyone else with your car. I would never choose a dealership, ever. It should be an independent shop that specializes in these and other types of cars and "it's owners". I think the tech should be an enthusiest as well as an owner of something particuliar himself.

Back