• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Does anyone have Tire Pressure sensors on their car?

I am seeing a lot of systems built into the cars at the 2001 auto show by Johnson Controls.

Sensor in each tire and display on dash, mirror, or visor to show a tire going low and exact psi.

Does anyone have this? Is there a after market kit yet?

I came home from a day of fast driving only to have a tire blow when I pulled in the driveway. Kind of spooked me, to think that if this happened a few minutes earlier I could have lost it, on a high speed exit off the hi-way on the exit ramp.

I'd love to have such a system.

I saw the ad for the one at Tire Rack but it looks like you have to mount a fairly sizable piece on the inside of each tire (or wheel?) - then obviously re-balance, etc.

I'm not crazy about the idea of having something big that can potentially come loose inside a tire, plus it'd probably get destroyed in the event of a flat.

A while back I remember seeing some low tech color-coded stem caps, maybe that is a reasonable compromise (at least for a daily quick visual walkaround)...

I was thinking the same thing. Kind of hate to strap big parts on wheel with bands.
But at least its a start.

The new one I saw from OEM's was a much smaller sensor and trasmitter, looked like it was fixed just to the tire stem, fitting inside the tire. The outside part of stem looked normal. And then you had radio display on dash.

Not sure just got a quick glance from the crowd as they showed a demo. They were putting them on all the new SUV's for 2002 to tackle concerns about roll-over problems and tire tread seperation.

I have Smartire installed on my NSX. It is a great system, and tells you everything you could ever want to know about your tire pressures and temps. You can set 2 alarms, a warning , and a "severe" warning.
The sensors are about .75 inch X 1-1/2 inch. they weigh next to nothing, and there is a small counterweight on the opposite side of the wheel (attatched to the same strap clamp). My wheels balanced out with the same, or less weight than without the system.
As far as damage if you get a flat goes; thats what the system is for
smile.gif
Early warning so you dont get a flat
smile.gif
Seriously though, depending on the wheel, the sensor goes in the deepest recess of the inner wheel, and therefore "should not" get damaged in the event of a flat tire. There are a couple of different sensors, including the one that is the valve stem, however I like the original strap clamp one best, due to its less likely to be damaged location.

As a shameless plug, my Auto Enhancement business is a registered installer for Smartire, and I can work up some decent pricing for anyone interested. If you are in the Chicago area, I can install the system as well.

See http://www.smartire.com/fl/na/ for more info!

Steve

[This message has been edited by SJJ28 (edited 12 January 2001).]

NSXBat: Hmm, I wish! somehow I have a hard time thinking that an RF (or any) transmitter that can share space with even a low-tech PSI measuring device can fit on a tire stem, at least not one that we civilians could afford.

I was talking about one of those really dumb caps, where if the PSI is > x then it shows a green "dot", and below that the little plastic thing inside flips and settles to the red dot. Cute, and surely a limited benefit, but worth it for a couple of bucks a piece.

Steve, I don't doubt that SmarTire is a great system, and something to consider while buying new tires. BTW, how big is the warning (receiver) unit? Where did you put it in your NSX?

Realistically:

* If a tire is low on pressure due to normal driving, temp, and lazy owners not checking the PSI regularly, then the PSI caps should do nicely.

* If a tire is low due to a screw/nail or whatever can puncture but lodge causing no leak or a small leak over time... then just as above the PSI caps would do it.

* If the tire is subject to something drastic, a severe puncture where the air is let out in a matter of seconds or even a few minutes (much less likely) then the steering wheel will tell you that.

So while I would love to have this technology, I'd hate to have extra stuff in my tires at track events, and then again if I do have a flat on the street I'll probably flatten the device before I can stop the car.

So - maybe the moral is check your tires very often, and keep your eyes open for the run-flat tires that are becoming available in more and more shapes and sizes these days (will Yoko join in?
smile.gif
)

SJJ28: Glad to hear you have used system and like it.

rquintero: I saw the tire stem system. The sensor and radio looked like (size wise) a Candy Blow-pop with a short stem. And they where putting them into all the SUV's so couldn't be that expensive. But I only got a glance. They wanted to sell me the SUV at the 2001 New Car Show, not give a sensor speech to the crowd standing around. Anyway.... just thought I'd bring up subject, all ideas are helpful.

Besides, I guess I watched to many qualifying events on an oval for the CART boys. Nothing hurts more (and I'm sitting in front of a TV) to see that RR wheel blow in turn three and that car swap ends and become scrap metal on the wall. I wonder what the big boys in CART would say is thier most important new electronic safty system?

Originally posted by rquintero:
NSXBat:

Steve, I don't doubt that SmarTire is a great system, and something to consider while buying new tires. BTW, how big is the warning (receiver) unit? Where did you put it in your NSX?

I have the "old" style receiver, it is about 1/2" thick, and about 2-1/2 X 4 in size. I mounted it on the floor to my left right in front of the hood release.
The "new" style receiver is (or can be) a 2 pc unit with the
display being quite a bit smaller (I beleive it could be fit into the ashtray area. (I'll be trying this in the spring when the car comes out of storage).

[This message has been edited by SJJ28 (edited 13 January 2001).]

I may be late to this post but I figure I would add my own thoughts and experience. The very next day after buying my NSX I must have gotten a really nasty nail in my rear driver side tire. I was entering onto the highway on one of those ramps that does a complete 360. I was pushing the NSX to see her limits. "She feels a bit loose in the back" I thought to myself. However, when I got on the highway and was kicking at speeds of about 70mph I felt a "mild" vibration from behind the car. I glanced at my side mirror and saw the tire literally off the rim. Needless to say, I was shocked at the great handling qualitites of the NSX despite the fact that she was missing a tire. My HRE rims were undamaged. The NSX angel provided me with barely a tire to protect the rim from the road. IMHO at moderate speeds, even with a flat tire, expect your NSX to take care of you. However, at high speeds (racing speeds) I can't see how having some high tech gizmo in your car will help you at such speeds. Maybe the low tech stuff will give you some warning before you reach those speeds. IMO if you expect to be driving really fast maybe a quick vehicle check would be in order.

Blade

Hi Blade (local guy, have we met?)

Great to hear your rim survived! And I don't doubt that the NSX may be more composed in the event of a blowout than most, but I think the point here is:

a) An "idiot light" for people like me that are too lazy to fully check their tires before starting the car (whenever I find a nail in my car I can't help but wonder how many days its really been there)

and

b) NSXBat and SJ have excellent points that I hadn't really thought of: ANY warning before a blowout is worthwile, even if it only gives one the edge of a second or two to react.

Ralph

P.s.: How do you get out of a 360 ramp, or where did it take you?
wink.gif

Well RQ. Not considering direction of travel, but rather, where you are at the point you enter the ramp and where you are when you come off the ramp. In terms of direction of travel: there is a 90 degree change of direction. But I am sure you know what I was talking about and you just wanted to be a smart______; well I am sure you know what I mean. In any case, If you have the money to spend to get a $200 dollar "idiot" light then go for it. My point simply was: At high speeds that 1 or 2 seconds of warning won't make much of a difference. Therefore, the low-tech option might be better. But hey cops like me don't make that much money to begin with.

My understanding of the tire pressure sensors is NOT that they will warn you of a blowout, but rather, that they will warn you of a puncture or leak or other problem while it's still minor and you can deal with it, before it reaches the point when it's going to be totally flat or turn into a blowout.

Blade, naturally it was a joke. Sorry if I upset you!

While I'm sure there are way too many factors that lead to a blowout, my guess would be that most would start by a slow or fast pressure loss, and if the device can give one a heads-up before the car becomes distressed then yes, I'd spend the $200.

Now, $1,600 for a Mugen air filter is another story...

Thinking about a Blow-out
I am not sure if these systems check pressure all the time or just check every 30 seconds.

I bet the Big Boys in CART have systems that check every second...or even 10oth of a second. In CART with those reflexes a second is a whole lot of time. And its not as important on a straight as in the middle of a turn. I bet were talking $kkk instead of $200 for electronics like that.

But for me and my use of every on and off ramp from the Hi-way as if it was turn 3 at Indy (the good old days)... anyway, I just drive fast and hard and think the weakest link is my rubber tires. I can learn where the limits of grip are... but a loss of pressure can change everything.

I think safety is more important then looks or insurance when it comes to spending money, so I am not worried about the money. Just wanted to hear what others with more experiance are thinking. So far the feedback has been helpful.

Originally posted by SJJ28:
I have Smartire installed on my NSX. It is a great system, and tells you everything you could ever want to know about your tire pressures and temps.

I'm getting the 2nd Gen system installed on my daily driver, and wanted to install one in my NSX as well. More info here --> http://www.smartire.com/pdf/na/smartire_products.pdf

Does anyone have any experience/suggestions with mounting the control/display units ?? Their "remote display" looks good.

Also, the 2nd gen unit seems to have lower accuracy (+- 1.5 psi) than the 1st gen (+- 1.0 psi). Is the old one better, or is the new ad copy just more accurate ?

TIA

------------------
Manuel C
93 NSX S/B #394
93 300CE
93 NH750

Originally posted by NSXBat:
Thinking about a Blow-out
I am not sure if these systems check pressure all the time or just check every 30 seconds.

I've had 2 blowouts in the last few months in S Florida, both to the right rear tire.
- first was to my daily driver (POS Pirelli 700 SuperSport)
- second was with my NSX (Toyo T1S Proxes -- insides bald and at cord)

These systems check and provide early warning data (basic display) and real-time pressure and temp (optional full-function display). With large-diameter (up to 20") and low-profile tires, this info reveals pressure drops that are not visually detectable.

The "idiot light" early-warning indicators update every 30 seconds. The full-function display provides data on-demand (push a button).

The also do CART and IRL, through their distributor Pi Research (you may have heard of their data acquisition/SCADA gizmos)

[This message has been edited by nsx1164 (edited 26 November 2001).]

After my tire fiasco, I'm interested in putting something like that in. You guys think Acura wouldn't mind putting it in? It looks easy enough...
tongue.gif

Putting on the tire sensors is reasonably straightforward -- will require that the tires be removed and remounted/balanced. Watch that they take care with the tire "spoon" when remounting, so as not to damage the sensors.

Mounting the control/display units within the cramped confines of the NSX driver-side cockpit is IMO the bigger challenge.

Any suggestions ?

[This message has been edited by nsx1164 (edited 30 November 2001).]

Originally posted by ak:
You guys think Acura wouldn't mind putting it in? It looks easy enough...
tongue.gif

I installed a set on my NSX (daily driver to follow later). Most of the work is putting on the wheel sensors (demount/remount/balance). Works just fine.

I will hide the base unit under the dash, and place the (wired) remote display/control unit in the space that was formerly used by the ashtray. Will post pix once I'm done.

updating this old post...

I've been using the SmarTire system (sold by TireRack and others -- http://www.tirerack.com/accessories...e/smartire2.jsp ) on all my cars with low-profile rubber since 2001... IMO gives me very useful real-time info on tire info (temp/pressure/etc).

I recently had a blowout on the interstate, driving back from the track. Highway had a lot of construction-related debris, and I thought I heard something, but heard no 'pop' nor did I experience any loss of control (presumably due to the short, stiff sidewalls on my 35-series Toyo T1-S Proxes). Note that this was NOT my first blowout at high speed.

The first/only warning I got was from the Smartire monitor, which told me I had zero (0) air pressure in my right rear tire. I was able to slow down the car and pull over without destroying the tire, or worse ($$), the rim.

3 years into it, I am a big believer in these tire monitoring systems.

#################

The SmarTire system uses flexible metal straps/bands to attach the transmitters/sensors to the wheel rim.

Another competing approach builds the sensor/transmitter into the valve stem, such as the one taken by AutoDAX -- http://autodax.com/products/tirepress/tire-pressure.htm . AFAIK most of the recent OE specific ones take this approach as well.

allows both proactive AND reactive action

nsxtasy said:
My understanding of the tire pressure sensors is NOT that they will warn you of a blowout, but rather, that they will warn you of a puncture or leak or other problem while it's still minor and you can deal with it, before it reaches the point when it's going to be totally flat or turn into a blowout.
In addition to the above "proactive" warnings, which are GREAT, in the event of a blowout they give you immediate feedback, allowing you to take corrective action before further damage is done.

See my post above about my recent incident.

I am installing the Smart Tire system on Friday. I had a tire blow out several weeks ago and didn't even know it was going down (1/4" hole) and by the time I saw the smoke , pulled off the freeway and saw the tire fly off the rim ! Still couldn't tell the tire was gone ! The car handled so well, no shakes or anything.
No damage to the car, just some road rash on the rim, which I'll get fixed tomorrow.

BH

Back