• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Does anyone wish their car had a black top?

I think my car would look great if it had the black roof. Does anyone feel the same about their late model NSX?

I painted my black top silver to color match.. I did not like the black top thought it looked dated...I think it is a personal perference...

Yeah, I don't feel it looks dated at all. I wonder if there are any Silverstone owners who have painted their roof black?

I'm seriously thinking of painting my roof black... :smile:

Black roofs look awesome. RyanITV vinyled his LBB top black for a short time and it looked GREAT. Let me see if I can dig up a pic.

Sang, why don't you get rid of that cheesy plastic lip spoiler that looks all bent and crooked if you want to upgrade something. You can get GT-Rom, Cantrell, Taitec, Downforce... any of them look good and make the nose look lower. Sure you wanna go painting a 2003 car? you will depreciate its value.

I have always preferred the black top on the NSX because it visually thins the height of the car, making it look even lower than it is.

Do it!

Sang, why don't you get rid of that cheesy plastic lip spoiler that looks all bent and crooked if you want to upgrade something. You can get GT-Rom, Cantrell, Taitec, Downforce... any of them look good and make the nose look lower. Sure you wanna go painting a 2003 car? you will depreciate its value.

I would like to but I know I would just mess it up sooner or later. I am not really considering painting the roof, but the thought has crossed my mind.:) Does anyone have a photoshop of a silverstone w/black roof?

I'm seriously thinking of painting my roof black... :smile:

Like this??? :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: (I would paint the mirrors black too)
front-quarter.jpg

yellow_bonnet_large.jpg

That looks hot! I love how the black rims go with the roof.

Yes, I wish my NSX had a black top. In my opinion, it's an integral styling feature of the NSX - certainly on coupes.

Here are a few pictures...

From Honda Japan (the description says it's Silverstone, but it's obvious one car was photochopped different colors):

silverstonemee5.jpg

Another one from Honda Japan, but this one might Sebring Silver (it's hard for me to tell):

1024nsx7xx8.jpg

Here's RyanITV's Long Beach Blue (the car MJK refers to) with black vinyl overlay (from Show pics..., DIY Blacked Out Roof, and Shipping Time?):

oc.jpg

diy-roof.jpg

flex.jpg

volks-side.jpg

Last edited:
Do all NSX-R's come with a black top? This almost seems trivial as the massacre in Virginia comes to mind.:frown:

Though our cars are a pain to keep clean...our black beauties appear lower than other colored NSXs - also, if you mod your machine and put a suspension package that can be lowered - well then, you have a very phat and sic looking machine - but then again...some people like to keep their machines as original as possible.

Dam:cool:

My 91 had the roof painted to match...I like it. :rolleyes:

2.jpg

6429sig_red_sm.jpg

Sky:smile:

Car and driver magazine said the reason why Honda changed the roof to match the body was bc back in 93, the Chevy Camaro Z28 copied the design with the all black top, so Honda needed to make the NSX more distinctive

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aOaG0Xa43PM"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aOaG0Xa43PM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Car and driver magazine said the reason why Honda changed the roof to match the body was bc back in 93, the Chevy Camaro Z28 copied the design with the all black top, so Honda needed to make the NSX more distinctive
Interesting, but I really doubt this is true, especially when you consider, worldwide, it's NSX-Ts that have body color roof and that all coupes, with just a few exceptions, came with a black until production ended in 2005.

The roof color was changed on the NSX-T so the car would look better with the top removed (the canopy effect the black top was designed to mimic was lost anyway).

In the US, the only coupes that had roof matched to body color are a few 1994 Brooklands Green Pearls and the 1999 Zanardi Editions. All the other coupes (remember there were a few 1997-2001 models in the US), have a black roof. In other countries where the coupe was available after 2001, the black roof was standard.

Then again, the reason C&D cited might explain those few 1994 Brooklands Green Pearls - I remember a dark green color was popular on those Camaros back then. Hmm...

black roofs look good on coupes(especially silver:biggrin: F16 look :cool: )

don't look good when the targa is off....that is why Honda went with the mono color...not cuz the camero copied it, like magnum PI from car and driver says...I didn't know that my car has been mistaken for a Z28 since 93???

Depends of style, interior and mods, but I painted mine, so what do I know:biggrin:

Not a black top but a CF one would be very tempting! Mine is Magnum Grey and the CF works particularly well with the color.

All I need is someone like Detlef to fabricate the parts and then ......

the only problem areas for the T-Top to CF conversion is the roll-over panel between the B-pillars and the top of the screen which would need to be matched but I've no idea how at present other than vinyl?

Ref the Black top, IMO it should be so on all Red, Yellow and of course White NSX. Darker colors and including the IOP work better in mono.

regards, Paul

If mine were any color other than berlina black, I would paint the top black. I think it looks fantastic.

Back