• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Double din & backup camera install

Finally, I've decided to upgrade my stereo system with a backup camera. After some research, I've decided to go with the Pioneer Avic-5000NEX. In my opinion, it's the best buy for $580, it has great graphics, DVD, navigation, mp3 and Bluetooth. For the backup cameras, I was looking for more of a factory look without drilling any holes. At first, I wanted to place the camera into the key hole but after some thorough research, I've came across a hideaway license plate camera. perfect!!! It was either between the square camera or the bullet camera. I've decided to go with the bullet camera. Normal License plate cameras usually covers up part of the tag, and which case are illegal in some states. So I rather avoid getting pulled over.
Now, ebay listed this bullet camera as CCD, but after arriving, I argued otherwise. I've only paid $35 with shipping and after a nuetral feedback, they refunded $10. So for $25, I'm happy with it. Ebay sell these cameras from china and it is a lot cheaper than other websites. Crimestopper.com sells these exact backup cameras for much more.
The model number number is A0121. Different sellers/websites will all list this camera differently. Some may list it as CCD, others CMOS, CMD etc. although it's the exact same model. I find the camera to be pretty clear. It's color and waterproof. But I think, crimestoppers website list them more accurately.
Just wanted to share this with my fellow Nsxer's.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 354
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 337
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 310
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 472
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 387
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 366
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 396
how do you like the unit so far?

I'm loving it... I've been looking at pioneer for quite some time now. I always loved alpine but the graphics are
Horrible compared to pioneer. This head unit looks great and has great graphics. I like that the navigation shows you the speed limit and also shows you the speed you are
Driving. Then it would alert you if you are
Speeding. You set the alert of course. I've set mine to about 8 mph over.
Bluetooth is awesome and makes talking on phone much easier.

How long does the Avic take to turn on from a dead start? I used to have an Avic-f90BT, and it took FOREVER (around 3-5mins depending on ambient temp) to fully power up and be able to accept an address for navigation.
Is yours much better?

Your console looks clean! :smile:

How long does the Avic take to turn on from a dead start? I used to have an Avic-f90BT, and it took FOREVER (around 3-5mins depending on ambient temp) to fully power up and be able to accept an address for navigation.
Is yours much better?

Your console looks clean! :smile:

Thank you, to answer your question, it turns on instantly. And as soon as I put the car in reverse, the back up cam pops up instantly regardless what the screen is doing. Back then, I was wanting the f90bt, but I'm glad I've waited.

Good choice on the pioneer. They have more support then alpine. I have an alpine ina-w910bt and dont like it. No map update at all.. no bluetooth streaming, only calls. You can update map through avic411 .. which i did fof my rav4 with an pioneer unit.

Thank you, to answer your question, it turns on instantly.

Yea, I'm glad they updated it. With my older one (which was $600!), I would start my car, make it almost to the highway on-ramp before the navigation could start. So frustrating!

Where did you get that console cover, or did you make it?

Thanks for the post! i am also looking for an upgrade.. i have an old avic.. 1st generation i think. So what other double dins were you considering ?

We'll back then I was considering the Pioneer Avic-f90bt but I'm glad I waited. I've always been a fan of Alpine but Pioneer blows them out the water when it comes to display units. So I've always considered Pioneer. But the Pioneer Avic-5000NEX fits what I'm looking for at a great price. No regrets here.

Thanks for the write up! Just curious, do you remember how exactly did you wire the antenna for the radio? I have the same Pioneer model as you but I believe I may have made an error when wiring up the antenna to the headunit. I get terrible reception and believe its only using the secondary rear windshield antenna. To come to this conclusion, I basically unplugged the whole OEM mast antenna and it made no change to the radio reception.

Little background: I am using the Science of Speed plug and play harness (aftermarket headunit to OEM sound system). The antenna has power because the antenna mast does go up and down according to when the radio turns on, so I know I got that down (spliced into the blue antenna wire?). However reception is terrible. I think the issue is where the factory antenna has two antenna plugs that fit into the OEM headunit, whereas aftermarket headunits only have one. Any advice on what you did? Thanks!

Last edited:
Actually I removed my antenna and got the antenna hole welded. I didn't like the long antenna sticking all the way up nor did I like the aftermarket s2000 style antenna. So I end up using the dual MAW40 Marine radio antenna wire, 40" long.
Ordered off ebay for 5.95 shipped. I don't use the radio much but it works fine and gets reception. Hope that helps.image.jpg

Thanks for the advice! So I am guessing you just left the rear windshield antenna unplugged? I believe its a female end so most aftermarket units don't have a second plug for it.

Finally, I've decided to upgrade my stereo system with a backup camera. After some research, I've decided to go with the Pioneer Avic-5000NEX. In my opinion, it's the best buy for $580, it has great graphics, DVD, navigation, mp3 and Bluetooth. For the backup cameras, I was looking for more of a factory look without drilling any holes. At first, I wanted to place the camera into the key hole but after some thorough research, I've came across a hideaway license plate camera. perfect!!! It was either between the square camera or the bullet camera. I've decided to go with the bullet camera. Normal License plate cameras usually covers up part of the tag, and which case are illegal in some states. So I rather avoid getting pulled over.
Now, ebay listed this bullet camera as CCD, but after arriving, I argued otherwise. I've only paid $35 with shipping and after a nuetral feedback, they refunded $10. So for $25, I'm happy with it. Ebay sell these cameras from china and it is a lot cheaper than other websites. Crimestopper.com sells these exact backup cameras for much more.
The model number number is A0121. Different sellers/websites will all list this camera differently. Some may list it as CCD, others CMOS, CMD etc. although it's the exact same model. I find the camera to be pretty clear. It's color and waterproof. But I think, crimestoppers website list them more accurately.
Just wanted to share this with my fellow Nsxer's.

So, how did you address the OEM speaker setup? Did you upgrade them as well?

Yes I've upgraded those years ago with alpine type s speakers including center speakers and JL audio hallow mounts for the door trim.

If I were to try and duplicate what you did, would a double din console generally be a plug and play or do I need to fabricate something specific for this Pioneer?

Also, if you had to buy speakers all over again, would you get the same ones (the Alpine type s and JL audio shallow mounts?)

If I were to try and duplicate what you did, would a double din console generally be a plug and play or do I need to fabricate something specific for this Pioneer?

Plug and play, from unit rca wires to my 5 channel amplifier. Then from the amplifier wired to the speakers

Also, if you had to buy speakers all over again, would you get the same ones (the Alpine type s and JL audio shallow mounts?)

I'm a big fan of alpine. Type s door speaker I would keep the same. The center speakers I would go smaller because the s is too tight of a fit. Shallow mount JL, is perfect factory look since I drilled a circle into the triangle plastic of the door. I also run a toolman earthquake 10" sub factory setting/fit. Now, I would change it since one of our prime members fabricates a 12" factory fit/setting with no loss in leg room. Everything is hooked up to a 5 channel alpine amp. Sounds fantastic. You may one to check the photos upclose, maybe you can see the JL shallow mounts.

- - - Updated - - -

Keep in mind, I've had my car for 11 years now. and haven't checked for any updates in sequipment. If it ain't broke don't fix it I guess.

Back