• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Down Under Trackday NSX

Wow, a lot of progress has been done since I last checked in on your build. looks great and I am really happy that your maiden voyage on track went well and I (like others following this thread) can't wait to see a video of this beast in action!

Cheers

OK got some video that Ben from STM took with his camera......... I wanted to put some telemetry from the dash on there too, but unfortunately I didn't setup the trackmap till later on in the day so I can't....... probably wasn't interesting anyway, but next time out (next Friday) I will have some more video and will have some in car telemetry to go with it.

http://youtu.be/LDQSSG6e7VM

Also, some other video from another member of NZHondas ....... not great, but thought I'd post them none the less.... I believe it was the same session he was following me.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaC5Qau--2w&feature=youtu.be
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVqcc5k8dzo&feature=youtu.be
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujrd8xXe7y4&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEUyAWs9aBQ&feature=youtu.be
In car chase.

Reason for lack of gloves was because we left the steering wheel on there we use for getting the car in and out of the trailer and it's like holding onto an eel with my gloves as they're suited to my race wheel so I decided to stick with my trusted hands for the first few runs.......

go fraser! .... like the in car footage. so now the dust has settled (over most of NZs south island) how did it shake down? did it drive as you would /expect / like?

for such a massive project I would expect a list of refinements & tweaks to sort out already?

I have to be honest and say that there wasn't one single thing about the way it handled that I would change.......... It was way past my expectations in the handling department.

The Motons just soaked up the rumble strips and the odd bump and it was so comfortable to drive.......... it was soooo much fun and it was the culmination of a dream I've had since I was a kid so it actually was quite and emotional day.

We still need to sort the electrical issue that stopped our day, but luckily it was at the end of the day anyhow so all in all for such a major project if that's all I have to worry about then I'm happy. Mechanically it was sorted and handled perfectly....... no oversteer or understeer tendancy, but I didn't really push it so no doubt that will reveal itself next Friday once we return for a full test day.

They're Advan RG-D. 10.5" with +25 offset on the rear and 8.5" with +33 offset on the front.

I have some bolt on wheel adaptors on the front and rear also that reduce that offset to around +10 front and rear though.

I was running Eibach 900lb front springs and 600lb rear springs as a starting point with Dali Racing Trophy swaybars front and rear in the middle position.

Motons were set to default positions which is close to full soft.

One of the members of the UK Civic Type R forum asked a good question about how the NSX stacks up against my Supercharged EP3 Type R..... so I did a comparison........ pretty close....

EP3_SC_vs_NSX_GT_NA_zps3eaa13fa.jpg

Wow what a moment that must have been .....to finaly drive it on track after building many aspects of it yourself:biggrin: Many happy years with it!

Wow... nice to finally see this running. Awesome...

Are you NA? Why did I think you went turbo?

No turbo, it's still NA at this point. Wanted to get a good understanding of the core car before adding more power. I find it easier to focus on the handling when power is in short supply as that's the best place to find laptime and get used to the car, then once I'm ready we will turbo it.

Turbo wise we're looking at Borg Warner EFR series......... integrated boost control, blow off valve and other components. www.Full-Race.com Pretty cool bit of kit.

PS Did you get my PM about your spring offer ???

So as we all know with cars, it never stops........ so here is the centre channel we have made for the 2 seperate sides of the flat bottom undertray we've made.

We still have to add some spring fingers on top of the large lower flat plate to hold the tray as it slides in from the side, then it will lock in place on each side skirt so they can't move.

The undertray parts themselves are a mix of fibreglass and kevlar with a high density foam centre so very light but very strong...... We have one trimmed already and we will trim and fit the second part soon and I will take a photo... the hard part is being able to fit the parts as when it's on the hoist the arms supporting the car are in the way, so we have a system to get the car up off the ground so we can work on it, but not on the hoist, it's just hard to work under as it's much lower, but we'll get there.

SDC11095_zps11971d42.jpg

SDC11094_zpsb02028bd.jpg

SDC11093_zpsbe9e8b1f.jpg

This is great stuff, if you have time could you post a spec sheet. I know there is too much to list but it would be great to list the majority of the parts/specs

Cheers
John

a childhood dream comes true - fantastic stuff. I think I had same dream, but a bit later in life ... started when I was a mid-life teenager playing Gran Turismo 3 and always picked the JGTCC NSX's :smile:

the HP charts look good, but curious about the torque charts going over 1100Nm, not really?? I'm guessing those are N maybe, but not Nm ...?

OK, so I guess they were in 4th gear , so assuming NS is yellow color data, multiplier about 3.9 for a 5 speed box and stock diff ~= 290Nm or 215ft-lb. Sounds like a very healthy NA1 engine ...!

More progress on the undertray........... well it's basically done actually, just have to put some extra fixing in the sideskirts but that will take all of 5 minutes so basically this is the finished article.

SDC11097.jpg

SDC11098.jpg

SDC11099.jpg

I also noticed that I was having really small tyre rub issues on one of the front tyres (from a specific heavy camber corner) so I cut out some of the front inner guards to give me about 30-40mm more clearance to try and make it clear without any rubbing......... a good day all in all.

Chris from STM came by yesterday as well and fortunately or unfortunately depending on how you look at it the car just started first time, so the electrical issue that caused the ECU circuit to shutdown has cured itself which is bloody annoying, but Chris seperated out some other stuff into seperate circuits so we can hopefully narrow the issue down that way so I guess it's fingers crossed for our test day on Friday.

Back