• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Down Under Trackday NSX

Fraser is it normal for the jacks to go up unevenly? It looked a bit unstable in the video with one side going up first then the other. Car looks great. Can you please post ant pictures you have on the hottest NSX thread please?

It's a bit of a catch 22 with the airjacks. Ideally we would be better of using 400psi which would help the car come up more evenly. The regulator can handle 400psi but the electronic valve block is only rated to 300psi and so we're running it over it's spec at 350psi and with the weight distribution of the engine and gearbox I think there's a little more weight on the drivers side so that side comes up last. If we try and run it any higher the valve just doesn't open so it won't work at all if I go higher.

I am going to see if I can adjust things a little so that it comes up more evenly but at the moment it isn't a priority as it comes up eventually and that's the most important thing....... the biggest issue is that if you slow the rate of lift on one side to even it out, when the jack exhausts it is also slowed down too so it's a hard thing to do....... just needs some thought put into it when I have time.

Happy to post some pics....... do you have a link to the thread ??

Last edited:
So I'm undecided if I really wanted to post these pics, partly due to quality, but mostly as I was going to keep it a surprise till I had the whole car done and a proper photoshoot organised, but then the excitement of how good it looks in real life got the better of me and I wanted to share :D

The guys from Slotmedia talked with me some months ago and we organised to sticker the car up but it hasn't been possible till now. http://www.slotmedia.co.nz/ What an awesome company to deal with ....... very professional and more importantly enthusiastic about the project.

As mentioned, there are still a few more touches to the car and a couple of decals we left off so that will add to it, but you get the idea !!

IMG_20120511_152453.jpg

IMG_20120511_171027.jpg

IMG_20120511_171041.jpg

IMG_20120511_154530.jpg

IMG_20120511_171054.jpg

IMG_20120511_171107.jpg

IMG_20120511_171121.jpg

Those eagle eyed members might spot the dedication to NSX prime on the car above :D

IMG_20120511_171134.jpg

IMG_20120511_171143.jpg

IMG_20120511_171236.jpg

I will post some more pics once things progress. We're running well behind schedule on getting the car running and tuned as it was meant to be done before the 3rd of May, but that didn't pan out and the new schedule means we're looking at being ready in about 2 weeks so fingers crossed !!

Last edited:
I think I'm gonna have to come out of the closet:

"Hi, my name is turbo2go and I have a strange attraction towards your car"

:biggrin::biggrin:

You clearly have not read the parts of the thread that explained why and what I was doing re the stickers mate............ it will make sense once you've read it...... I would type it out again, but it's too long for a friday night !

Thanks to the other posters for their positive comments...... its one of those things that I wasn't sure about but since the only downside is the cost of the vinyl and it could be easily removed if I didn't like it then I thought it was worth a go, and as always the pictures don't do the real deal justice. Hopefully the upcoming professional photoshoot for www.creativestance.com will show it off better :)

Last edited:
Well as seems to the be the way with all custom car projects, today was full of ups and downs................ but I think overall a success.

It's been a long road, but we (well Chris at Speedtech mainly) got all of the wiring and other small finishing touches done and we were ready to go other than a gearbox axle seal and needing to bleed the radiator up. We ordered some replacement seals and waited a week or so from Japan, only to find that the seal was OK and we found that the driveshaft wasn't located fully into the seal which was causing the leak. This was due to the fact that it was from an auto car (which is what we started with) not a manual. We were told they were the same so we didn't even look into it but it appears they are indeed different. Anyhow we managed to adjust things to make what we had fit for now so that was one drama over for now.

Then when we went to bleed up the radiator we realised that the in and out water flow wasn't right even though pictures from when we stripped it were checked so no idea what happened there so we managed after some clever thinking to swap over the radiator pipes further down the car and all was well in the world again !! :)

Chris then did some basic setup on the ECU and got the idle control working well and then it was time to get it on the dyno, check the base timing and tune that sucka !!

SDC11036.jpg

SDC11037.jpg

SDC11038.jpg

SDC11039.jpg

So Chris did a few good runs and things were going well, but then Andre and Chris realised that the car was down on power vs what we would expect to see........ and although we haven't confirmed it yet (hope to do that tomorrow) it seems like when I reassembled the engine with it's cams and cam gears, we've got things one tooth out on one bank....... it will be confirmed tomorrow and in some ways I hope we don't have them out by one, but on the flipside that will mean there's some other reason why it's not making good power....... we will see.

In reality though I consider it a bit of success as we had no oil leaks, water leaks, all sensors worked perfectly and apart from the power issue the engine ran well and sounded awesome so fingers crossed we will get the power issue sorted in the next few days and we can get the tune finished properly and get it outside under it's own power and shoot some video :)

Mate i think you should leave it like that so i can hang with you, its the only fair thing to do.
Looking good what is your first track day outing now

Mate, don't get all precious.......... :D LOL

kiwi lingo... I can't wait til next time one of my drinking buddies says something to me and I can say "mate... don't get all precious". In fact I might use it here on Prime.

the auto cars were also equipped with less agressive cams than normal mt cars to go easier on the auto trannies.

along with your mis-alligned timing, this may be why you aren't getting as much power as expected.

Any thought to adding canards or painting the light housings red except for the section in front of the lights itself?

Those are the lightweight GT-Rom carbon headlamps. Why would you paint those. Looks great as is.

We changed the cams out for manual ones, thats when we must have put them back in one tooth out.

We have just checked and our compression test on both banks seems to confirm that we did indeed get things one tooth out as there's a 10% difference in compression between the banks. Cylinders on the same bank match, but side to side they are out so although it's not definitive, it does point to the problem so we're going to have to drop the engine out next week to fix the issue and then re-dyno...... :(

Things like canards and other aero tweaks won't be looked at until we get the shakedown done with and then get into some real testing to see what the balance of the car is like. I don't see any point adding anything till we know what the balance of the car is like first, then that will be the time to look at the numbers and adjust accordingly.

As Turbo2Go mentioned, the headlights inside are carbon and I quite like the look of them as they are so I'm not going to change them. I know some of the later JGTC cars had the insides of the lights painted, but this car isn't a replica it's just based on the look and feel of the JGTC cars so I feel not everything has to be a match......

Those are the lightweight GT-Rom carbon headlamps. Why would you paint those. Looks great as is.

Just like some of the later JGTC cars had them painted, but as he said after your post he likes the carbon and isn't trying to be a replica, just fashioned after. I agree they do look nice as is, was just wondering how similar he was planing to go.

So Fraser, car looks fantastic, fabuluous & fast ... but when are the maiden laps going to happen ? I'm sure I'm not your only fan hanging for in-car and trackside videos. No need for lap records of course (yet) but you must be bustng to hear it, see it, enjoy it in anger !

OK so I don't feel so stupid now...........

Seems as though the issue is with the adjustable cam gears from Comptech that I fitted when I fitted the cams. Jason from Speedtech made sure all of the markings were lined up correctly and measured the cams and realised there was a differnce in the position of the intake cams relative to each other even though all of the markers lined up on the cam gears and the crank......... then fitted the factory gears and again, all of the marks lined up on the cam gears and crank, but this time the cams measure up the same on both sides.

So that is a pretty clear indication that the markings on the cam gears are out by around 1 tooth which is where the issue was coming from that we were experiencing and it wasn't me being dumb......... well other than not measuring the cams themselves, but I didn't think that was needed as I wouldn't have expected such a fault from someone like Comptech !! :(

Still, at least we've found the issue so now we can reassemble and get it back on the dyno.

Just a quick update. On friday night the engine is back in the hole which is a good start !! It's just got to have the wiring loom plugged back in and then we will have to reattach water and oil lines and then bleed everything up, but that shouldn't take too long.

Chris and Jason at Speedtech checked everything with the factory cam gears in place of the Comptech units and then did a compression test before we put it back in place just to be sure.

So all things being equal we should easily get it on the dyno on Monday and then this stage of the build will be officially finished and we can get started concentrating on getting it to the track !!!

One thing that really urks me is having to leave the factory headers on there as they're so average to say the least and I really don't like using average stuff but it's just not worth spending the dollars to get some nice headers when it's hopefully not going to spend too much time in NA form.....

Hopefully I'm not getting ahead of myself though as I guess it's not the best idea to count my chickens !!

One thing that really urks me is having to leave the factory headers on there as they're so average to say the least and I really don't like using average stuff but it's just not worth spending the dollars to get some nice headers when it's hopefully not going to spend too much time in NA form.....

HELL with the stock exhaust.....build a set of ZOOMIES for that sucker! That way you HAVE to slap a blower on it, just to get it to idle, haha! Maybe even a flamethrower nozzle in each pipe?!

The car was finally back on the dyno today and as suspected the car ran well. Picked up some power as well which is always nice, but more importantly ran well and the issues we were seeing with fueling issues due to the misaligned cams was gone which is awesome.

So all that is left to do is to get a wheel alignment which Speedtech are going to sort in the next couple of days and finish fitting the new oil catch can and then Zac will need to work his magic to make our temporary intake system a bit more permanent and finished and we're good to go..... once we've got that stuff nailed I will look at which days are free for testing and book it in for it's maiden runs !!!

Below is the dyno sheet showing power at the wheels (well at the drive hubs really, but you get the idea) Correction factor is set to 20% so if you add 20% you'll get a rough guess of engine power at the flywheel, but I think the only really important figure is the power that comes out of the drivetrain and gets delivered to the ground but some people like to compare to other readings which are in flywheel power so thought I'd mention how to calculate it for those who don't know.

Ross from STMPO has offered to hook me up with a great set of headers which will allow us to use them now in N/A form to make some more reasonable power, and then be reasonably easy to modify to suit the turbo plan as well so hopefully when my finances have recovered a little I will be able to get those here and we can fit them and we will of course re-run on the dyno again to tune so we can compare back to back and see exactly what differences we see from stock.

dyno_nsx.jpg

Back