• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Downforce Clean-Air HEPA System

Another reason why I didn't get the product.
Open filter design, what where they thinking.
I also didn't want to be the genie pig.
I feel for you.
Trev

Well I installed the clean air /cowl last weekend. Problems -

1. If you wash the car with a power washer like I own the filter will get soaked to the point that water gets down into the fan assembly. This can't be good and sounds like an electrical problem about to happen when you turn the fan on in your car and hear it churning water... :mad:

2. Passenger windshield wiper has already put a scratch in the new cowl from being turned on to get water off the windshield - tried adjusting the cowl alignment thinking I did something wrong with no success - seems this area has been formed to high enabling the wiper arm to scratch the cowl as it pivots. :mad:

3. Minor complaint but non-the-less... no detailed install instructions with the exception of placing the plastic strips at both end of the filter - for a not so mechanical person they would never get the lower windshield garnish cover off without damaging it and the NSX repair manual doesn't show how to remove it. I'm sure this part isn't cheap... (Don't hold me to this I may have missed it in the manual, but I did look pretty hard through it; irregardless though some people may not have an NSX repair manual available) :mad:

What can we do to fix these issues - I now have a properly installed filter cowl with a half moon wiper blade arm scratch in it... I would also suggest some sort of cover for the filter, anyone caught in a heavy rain or washing their vehicle with a power washer or possibly even a water hose will flood out the blower assembly housing. The water run off from the windshield just can't flow around the cowl before flooding into the filter housing. I would think that part alone, the blower motor housing and electric blower, would be hundreds if not close to a thousand for repair/replacement....

At this point I am going to remove this item from my vehicle this weekend...

Product looks outstanding but needs more engineering for water runoff control and wiper blade clearances.... I will post pictures of my install/removal this weekend when I return home...

WOW:eek: I still wouldn't remove the cowl. For the first issue I would purchase a rubber seal gasket that is high enough to connect with the hood leaving only the front open (part closest to the radiatior) for air to enter. For the second issue I would use a small grinder and take down the part of the wiper that is connecting with the cowl. I bet its probably grazing the CF. The missing instructions is something to be worried about. At least they could send the page number for the removal of that lower window trim to make it easier to install. I would think that the first 10 or so people getting this product are going to find small things to worry about but we should figure them out to improve the product. Post those pics of removal and install if you can.

My problem with all of this is why should he have to.
Who made the product, who is selling it and where is the docs and photos.
Its not like we are developing this in our backyards.
Trev

So does the cheveron touchless car wash have enough pressure to force air into the vent? Also when you first enter the wash it shoots up a high pressure water system to clean off the underside of the car, I wonder even with a gasket blocking off 3 of the 4 sides if theres enough water pressure to enter the filter from the underside?

My problem with all of this is why should he have to.
Who made the product, who is selling it and where is the docs and photos.
Its not like we are developing this in our backyards.
Trev

True. I think downforce takes all feedback of their products into consideration and might send out a "fix it kit" to address the problems. I guess Im not to worried about the current issues because I ordered CF with no wiper holes and Im willing to gasket the filter. Bump me up the food chain:smile:

WOW:eek: I still wouldn't remove the cowl. For the first issue I would purchase a rubber seal gasket that is high enough to connect with the hood leaving only the front open (part closest to the radiatior) for air to enter. For the second issue I would use a small grinder and take down the part of the wiper that is connecting with the cowl. I bet its probably grazing the CF. The missing instructions is something to be worried about. At least they could send the page number for the removal of that lower window trim to make it easier to install. I would think that the first 10 or so people getting this product are going to find small things to worry about but we should figure them out to improve the product. Post those pics of removal and install if you can.

There should be no grinding or any modification to be had in order to install this. If I am going to have to get anything grinded then I am going to have to withdraw from the purchase. I hope Downforce will test this product more and provide all the necessary pieces to make it work properly without any hassle with water and such other things. I know they make good stuff sometimes things get overlooked.

Hello guys I just checked the thread thanks Eddie for PM 'ing me. Ok so

1 issues with removing factory windshield trim molding. We are working on
making instructions.. easiest way I found is slightly pry top of molding
from glass and push yellow clip ends towards front of car they
should start to pop loose work your way around.and when reinstalling
molding install yellow clips back on the molding then pop back in place

2 Issues with water soaking filter and going in to evaporator housing I need
to figure a solution to that.

3 Issues with wiper arm scraping cowl is this happening to anyone else ???
pictures would be great

OK as for the Guinea Pig comment thanks Trev for the positive attitude
But that is not our intent. we have designed and produced a part that is
aesthetic and functional.. well the functional part still need some
improvements. But reason why this happens is simple automotive companies will spend millions and years sometimes designing,testing and producing parts
for customers. Even when I was working with swiftengineering.com building "real race cars" they also are making constant improvements and changes after real time use and they are a class A outfit they even have their own wind tunnel.. Well we are limited to making a perfect part right away so our great customers have worked along side us to purchase our products and give us feed back to make a great product. so to all of you that are positive and understanding I really want to thank you for helping us stay in business.
I am already working on some kind of cover or lid to deflect water.

So as we stand behind our products any one that needs to talk to me please PM or call me to work it out or if need be a refund.

Also I would like to mention that DF is going through a lot of improvements and changes to better our service and products so we really appreciate every ones patience.

Thanks every one.

Sam Alfaro
General Manager Down Force

Last edited:
Sounds good I am looking forward to it....if not I will take the other option I was talking about. :smile:

You don't have to thank me for my comments.
I have a few mfgs who send me their products to tear them apart and then tell them if the product is practical, saleable and what not.
So I extend you the favor.

Here is post #55 from davidf:
Quick question Ben, what about rain and washing the car. Will this affect or destroy the paper filter? Thanks, David

Here is the reply from post #56:
If you pop your hood, and look at your cowl, you will see a vent on either side. The OEM design takes air into the blower in a similar manner. The hood sits over
the cowl, and protects it from water. We also designed the cowl to channel water away from the filter.
Bottom line is, no you will not have a problem with water. We designed this part with this is mind.
Ben

After seeing Ben's post, I thought not to think about the water penetration possibilites that where bugging me.
I placed myself on the reserve list.

I changed my mind and I am glad.
This product should have not been released.
I'm glad I was not one of the Guinea pigs.
Simple, isn't it.

Trev
p.s. I was amazed when I did a search about the Guinea Pigs, what an important role in medicine they played.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guinea_pig

I find it quite surprising that there have been issues with the new HEPA system :confused:

I've now had mine installed for over a month with no issues nor problems.

Installation was a breeze and I didn't feel instructions were necessary. Although would be a good idea to have provided.

I wash my X once a week with no worries of water entering the filter. Now I haven't used a pressure washer as read above, but that seems silly to do so. Pressure washing would hinder the paints finish as well as cause damage to seals throughout the vehicle.

I cannot speak to the windshield wiper issue as I do not have them installed.

Well if anything Trev I was the Guinea pig and have only offered DF positive criticism with their new products. :cool:

I wonder how much pressure of pressure washing we are talking about? The type of pressure that is put out by the self car wash down on the corner or the pressure coming from your garden hose?

I guess I'm just SILLY!
I wash my car at least twice a week at the local car wash with the hand wand system. I also spray down the engine bay, front under hood area, wheel wells and what every else I can get to under the car.
We all treat our cars differently and drive them differently.
This product is for everyone, so all aspects of design must be looked at.
I am only stating facts and my findings and feelings.
I am not saying anyone is stupid or slandering anyone.
Please don't have hurt feelings.
If Downforce wants me to remove all my posts in this thread I will.
Trev

Appreciating everyone's response -

I find it quite surprising that there have been issues with the new HEPA system :confused:

I've now had mine installed for over a month with no issues nor problems.

Installation was a breeze and I didn't feel instructions were necessary. Although would be a good idea to have provided.

I wash my X once a week with no worries of water entering the filter. Now I haven't used a pressure washer as read above, but that seems silly to do so. Pressure washing would hinder the paints finish as well as cause damage to seals throughout the vehicle.

I cannot speak to the windshield wiper issue as I do not have them installed.

Well if anything Trev I was the Guinea pig and have only offered DF positive criticism with their new products. :cool:

My pressure washer is designed so that I can change out the nozzles - I use the lowest power version for the paint and medium for the undercarriage - I have never had issue with seals or paint. Probably because I use the power washer to wet and rinse the vehicle since I wash it by hand..... :)

I wonder how much pressure of pressure washing we are talking about? The type of pressure that is put out by the self car wash down on the corner or the pressure coming from your garden hose?

See above response -

I guess I'm just SILLY!
I wash my car at least twice a week at the local car wash with the hand wand system. I also spray down the engine bay, front under hood area, wheel wells and what every else I can get to under the car.
We all treat our cars differently and drive them differently.
This product is for everyone, so all aspects of design must be looked at.
I am only stating facts and my findings and feelings.
I am not saying anyone is stupid or slandering anyone.
Please don't have hurt feelings.
If Downforce wants me to remove all my posts in this thread I will.
Trev

Trev, appreciate your opinion and agree with you 100%... I'm not going to blast DF at this point, I'm sure after I post up the pictures and speak with them about this that they will make it right. Back to my first statement though, these design mistakes should have been resolved before shipment... One more thing - everything should ship with some sort of install paperwork, what seems easy to some may not appear to be so easy to another person - I write and publish engineering design specifications daily, I know all to well that if your not providing quality direction that even the most mechanically inclined person could ask you how to do something you consider common sense; not everyone is wired the same way or shares the same experiences.

On a positive note, the product is very nice and fits very well with exception of stated issues, just needs some redesign work in regards to my stated experience which I'm sure DF will address...

First batch is almost complete. Will be shipping next week.

Not sure if I mentioned this before, but because of the delay, I will be including an extra filter for everyone who has made payment.

Ben

I received mine this week and did not received the extra filter.
Can someone from Downforce comment on this.

Gary

Hello Gary so you did not get the filter or the filter housing ??? I will mail out what ever is missing asap tomorrow :biggrin:
I think every one knows that DF and I will make things right.

Just got my package today...will let you guys know how everything is after the install.

Hello guys I just checked the thread thanks Eddie for PM 'ing me. Ok so

1 issues with removing factory windshield trim molding. We are working on
making instructions.. easiest way I found is slightly pry top of molding
from glass and push yellow clip ends towards front of car they
should start to pop loose work your way around.and when reinstalling
molding install yellow clips back on the molding then pop back in place

2 Issues with water soaking filter and going in to evaporator housing I need
to figure a solution to that.

3 Issues with wiper arm scraping cowl is this happening to anyone else ???
pictures would be great

Thanks every one.

Sam Alfaro
General Manager Down Force

Pictures as promised from my current experience - Also did not receive the second air filter...

Attachments

• DSC00024.JPG
    DSC00024.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 171
  • DSC00025.JPG
    DSC00025.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 166
  • DSC00026.JPG
    DSC00026.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 159
  • DSC00027.JPG
    DSC00027.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
I havent open the box yet to check if I gotten an extra filter. I will look and get back to you.

Hey guys no one got an extra filter We did not realize that Ben had promised an extra filter .. So if every one that is owed one is OK I would like to ship out all the hepa kits we have sold and then send out the extra filters If any one wants it right away just PM me and I will send it out asap. As for commander I will check our cowls for differences in that area around the wiper. Then I can make sure to take care of you correctly thank you for your time

Any updates - still have a scratched CF cowl.....

Hey guys no one got an extra filter We did not realize that Ben had promised an extra filter .. So if every one that is owed one is OK I would like to ship out all the hepa kits we have sold and then send out the extra filters If any one wants it right away just PM me and I will send it out asap. As for commander I will check our cowls for differences in that area around the wiper. Then I can make sure to take care of you correctly thank you for your time

Back